Leica M10 Monochrom picture leaked online

How much darkroom time would you get for $7000 from a professional printer if you payed them to make toned fibre prints.

The counter is film just cannot attain the high ISO quality of a monochrome digital sensor.

Is this camera “$2295 better” than an SL2?
Is it $5500 better” than an SL?

(Still thinking this over)

Better is a funny metric. If you make really large prints regularly, crop extensively and want additional grey tonal separation this is the machine for you. Remember that it’s true resolution as it is minus Bayer, is closer to 55 MP.
Big-ass files. Have the computing power for it?

The M10 on Rockwell's site has the screw past vertical.

Even if a screw is just a screw, I think Leica could've added about US$250 to the price if they had placed very short fine tickmarks over the top half of the screw. It adds to the aura of precision.

Anyway, 41MP monochrome is impressive. I applaud those who use this camera as intended and whose work benefits from what it can provide.

James I think for many the better DR and higher ISO is the trade off for larger files. I think 24MPs is plenty even for large prints especially with programs like On One Genuine Fractals. But with the higher ISO, better DR and much better handling of the M 10 has me thinking about maybe selling my original MM, my M-E and a couple of lenses to finance one.

James I think for many the better DR and higher ISO is the trade off for larger files. I think 24MPs is plenty even for large prints especially with programs like On One Genuine Fractals. But with the higher ISO, better DR and much better handling of the M 10 has me thinking about maybe selling my original MM, my M-E and a couple of lenses to finance one.

I’ve seen your work on the Monochrom and you’re probably one of the rarified few who can put the extra MPs, DR and resolution to good use.

Better is a funny metric. If you make really large prints regularly, crop extensively and want additional grey tonal separation this is the machine for you. Remember that it’s true resolution as it is minus Bayer, is closer to 55 MP.
Big-ass files. Have the computing power for it?

No. I have two work stations, but one is at my office and one at home but is outdated.

That's another $3000 for a good work station to match the MP power of the M10 Monochrom.

So maybe the M9M is more realistic for some of us who have more modest computers? But might we still need a dedicated black and white printer?

Jono Slack's "M10M field report" on Leica Forum. He compares the M10M with the original Monochrom:
What is immediately clear is that both cameras are actually quite usable right through the ISO range, but there has been a huge boost in image quality over the last 8 years, and the difference between the cameras in terms of noise amounted to about 2 - 3 stops. So that the M9M at 10,000 ISO was marginally better than the M10M at 100,000 ISO but not as good as the M10M at 64,000 ISO.

Unfortunately the picture samples he provides are not that large.

Richard,

Someone should start a poll focusing not on the merits of a new camera, but the single screw on the proposed M10M.

Should provide mucho conflict and somehow sadly reflects the era we live in of polarizing and division that is happening around the world.

Pretty high entertainment value. LOL. Let's sort this out before we launch missiles.

Cal

oh come on, screw it :D

So maybe the M9M is more realistic for some of us who have more modest computers?
  • But might we still need a dedicated black and white printer?

And
  • of course we need a B/W monitor - EIZO has these, for radiologists, with a terrific dark black level. It does allow color text of your PP engine. Could be tilted too. I almost pulled the trigger on one in the classifieds.

So maybe the M9M is more realistic for some of us who have more modest computers? But might we still need a dedicated black and white printer?

No. You can get along just fine with something like a 3880/P800 and the OEM inks. Piezography not required (although I'm sure some here would beg to differ!). Nice paper helps though. I do all my exhibition prints on my 3880 and am now using beautiful Epson Legacy Platine paper, has the look and feel of FB darkroom prints.

I'm still on the fence with buying this camera. I'm pretty happy with my 246 and the results I've been getting from it for the last 5 years. However, I just got a Nikon Z7 and - though it's early days yet - I'm pretty amazed at the results I've been getting from it. Plus the Nikon 'roadmap' indicates a 61mp Z8 coming out later this year and the new 50/1.2, so I may wait to see if that comes to pass.

However, it can be a bit difficult to resist the pull of Leica and forever chasing after the latest and (supposedly!) greatest. I'm trying my best to hold off -- I may lose the battle though :(

I process my Sony A7rII photos on a 5 year old MacBook. Wasn’t a bad machine back in the day, but you can get the equivalent without breaking the bank now. It’s not blindingly fast, but I’ve not had any issues whatsoever.

The Sony has 42 megapixel files, and I would imagine the debayering process is somewhat processor intensive. As far as I understand, these Monochrom monochrome DNGs are just fancy monochrome TIFF files.

I don't know why but the picture examples leave me cold. They have great tonality and are sharp but they are missing something, maybe they are just too perfect. I admit that I often prefer B/W images made with older cameras (ccd sensor) that still exhibit some sensor noise to modern (cmos) cameras. The good news is that I expect that the price for the older monochrome will go down. So there is a Leica for everyone.

Gregory Simpson's review and pictures are based on night street shooting in Tokyo. I think his picture samples give a better idea of performance but again, the image sizes are web display and not full size. They look good to my eye at that size and resolution though.

Gregory Simpson's review and pictures are based on night street shooting in Tokyo. I think his picture samples give a better idea of performance but again, the image sizes are web display and not full size. They look good to my eye at that size and resolution though.

That is a great review.
I love this paragraph:
By the time the battery charged to 80%, Vancouver was engulfed in the darkness of night. I switched on the M10 Monochrom, snickered sardonically as I rotated the new ISO dial to 12,500, walked out onto my balcony and took a single, hand-held shot of the city using one of the slowest lenses I own — the Super-Elmar-M 21mm f/3.4 ASPH. I walked back into the office, popped the SD card into the Mac, fired up Lightroom, and got blown over like that guy in the classic Maxell Tape ad. There was seemingly no way the fidelity of a late night, high ISO shot could be this good. There was precious little noise, scads of detail, and oodles of malleable dynamic range. When I pushed the shadows so hard they resembled daylight, there was no visible banding. And what shadow noise did get amplified was a random, fine, and organic dusting.

Back