Leica M9 FF-CCD corrosion on sensors

Thanks for the link. Yet again Leica made my dream come true: first by creating the Monochrom a perfect camera for a B&W film only diehard: and secondly for working on a long-term solution that will enable me to further utilize my Monochrom.

My third dream come true is for the MM-240 rumor to be true so I can buy another B&W Leica with a different sensor.

Thank you Leica. I patiently await more information on the fix. I also wait on the news on the possible MM-240.

Cal

Thank you Cal! Even though I don't have the M9 anymore, this statement renewed my confidence in Leica and exceeded actually my expectations.

Still somewhat vague, but free sounds better than 1800 euros... :)

Don't think anything other than this would have been well received.

Dave,

I read that they are working on a permanent solution, and the way I'm seeing it they hope to replace the defective sensor with one that has no defect. In my book I would call this a recall notice that is under development.

Cal

I can see that as a fair assessment of the statement while they don't actually state "recall" they are trying to correct it.

I wonder if folks would consider a "slow" or "fast" response from Leica given that these issues were, apparently, out there for some time.

Curious as always,
Dave

I can see that as a fair assessment of the statement while they don't actually state "recall" they are trying to correct it.

I wonder if folks would consider a "slow" or "fast" response from Leica given that these issues were, apparently, out there for some time.

Curious as always,
Dave

Dave,

I agree that this response is still kinda open and fills a grey area, but without a real solution this is about as far as Leica can go without getting ahead of itself or painting itself into a corner.

I find it encouraging that Leica apologized and also fully acknowledged the problem. At this point all we can do is be patient and wait for a new development.

Cal

Problem is, the new sensor is just as potentially flaky as the original - and you'll be out of a camera for three months.

Jack,

I read that Leica is working on a "permanent" solution to address the problem. Might this mean relacing the defective sensor that has been upgraded? Anyways that's how I'm reading into it; or am I just being a delusional artist with too much imagination? LOL.

Cal

Still somewhat vague, but free sounds better than 1800 euros... :)

Don't think anything other than this would have been well received.

I think the main positive aspect is that no one would be in a hurry to send their camera away now. The corrosion spots look like oil spots and can be easily cloned out.

I read that Leica is working on a "permanent" solution to address the problem. Might this mean relacing the defective sensor that has been upgraded? Anyways that's how I'm reading into it; or am I just being a delusional artist with too much imagination? LOL.

No, that's another problem I'm "reading" as well. What happens when the new sensor comes out? What happens to those that have had it fixed in the meantime? Will that one be charged for? Is it better to wait?

my faith in Leica is still there. i honestly could not have thought of a better outcome that is both fair and realistic.

i am hoping to see what this "attractive offer" entails and have emailed leica already. i currently own an M9P and am looking to see if it's worthy of upgrading.

however, in the long run, i would like to see if keeping my M9 (because i just love the CCD sensor so much) would be a smarter decision if i just wait for a permanent fix.

my leica has no issues (so far...*knock on wood*) but the recent news is calming to me.

I think the main positive aspect is that no one would be in a hurry to send their camera away now. The corrosion spots look like oil spots and can be easily cloned out.

I understand that but do we actually expect people to just "live with it" and add "Clone out corrosion spots" to their workflow?

If that's the case then why not just don't bother cleaning your sensor at all.... ever... since you can clone out all the dust spots too?

Nikon's decision to do the one-by-one replacement (as cameras came in to the workbench) made sense and so does Leica's - I would expect people will WANT to send their cameras in rather than retain them and "live with it".

Cheers,
Dave

No, that's another problem I'm "reading" as well. What happens when the new sensor comes out? What happens to those that have had it fixed in the meantime? Will that one be charged for? Is it better to wait?

That's a good point Jack..hmmmmm.... this will be interesting to see how it plays out. Perhaps this is what Edward was referring to above?

Cheers,
Dave

What happens is:

If your replaced sensor is still fine then you are ok and don't need it.
At some point if your replaced sensor is showing signs of the "corrosion " problem they will again replace it at no charge.

...those who had problems got new engines for free.

Leica should do similarly.

Looks like they did similarly...

Likely the chip engineers are working on new glass...may be best to wait to send anything in.

Next step: beef up the repair department so there isn't a year turn-around...

I understand that but do we actually expect people to just "live with it" and add "Clone out corrosion spots" to their workflow?

If that's the case then why not just don't bother cleaning your sensor at all.... ever... since you can clone out all the dust spots too?

Nikon's decision to do the one-by-one replacement (as cameras came in to the workbench) made sense and so does Leica's - I would expect people will WANT to send their cameras in rather than retain them and "live with it".

Cheers,
Dave

Nope, what I meant is that you can choose the time to send in your camera, when you have less jobs during the slow season for instance. There is no hurry to send it before the 3 years goodwill free replacement offer expires. If I knew I can replace the corroded sensor anytime I want and always free of charge, I wouldn't be in too much hurry.

Even with dust spots, I don't clean my sensor every time I see spots, I just clone them out until there are at least 10-15 spots.

Nope, what I meant is that you can choose the time to send in your camera, when you have less jobs during the slow season for instance. There is no hurry to send it before the 3 years goodwill free replacement offer expires. If I knew I can replace the corroded sensor anytime I want and always free of charge, I wouldn't be in too much hurry.

Even with dust spots, I don't clean my sensor every time I see spots, I just clone them out until there are at least 10-15 spots.

Ahhh.. ok.. understood and thanks for clarifying. I didn't think you were making that type of inference (what I suggested) but I couldn't be sure from your post.

Cheers,
Dave

Jack,

I read the word "Refund" for those that were charged for their sensor to be replaced. I read "permanent solution" meaning that at this time they have not come up with a engineered solution, but they will be working on it.

Step one for Leica is acknowlege that there is a problem; step two is apologize; step three is say that Leica is working on a "permanent solution" meaning at this time there is none, but the key work above is "working" wich spells intent of fixing the problem so that it is addressed for a longer term reliability.

Now it is our turn to wait for an engineered solution and possible production delays of an improved sensor.

The intent is that "all" CCD sensored cameras will at some future date will be upgradable to the fixed sensor, even ones that had their original sensor replaced already. I read that this cost is at Leica's cost and not yours.

In case someone happened to pay for a sensor replacement Leica is offering not only a sensor replacement with an improved/upgraded sensor that incorporates a fix, it will also refund the cost of the sensor replacement that was paid. Again all the costs are on Leica and not the customer.

I understand how someone who owns both a M9 and a Monochrom has a lot at stake, and as your friend I want to assure you that it seems all we can do is wait for the problem to be really fixed. It seems since you own two Leica digitals and are having them serviced at this time that you might experience 4 times the time without your cameras. For this I feel for you.

Cal

I think this is a good response from Leica and shows that they indeed listen to their customers in reversing their previously stated policy. I guess they used the LUF forum to get a feel from their loyal customer base with the policy they posted last week. It wasn't well received, so they did the right thing and reversed it.

We haven't heard anything about how they will address the long wait times for replacing the sensors though.

-Thomas

Back