Leica M9 FF-CCD corrosion on sensors

They didn't need luf to gauge reaction. At least two dozen sites posted and/or discussed the issue - and the reaction was universal.

Thanks, Cal. Yes - we'll see how it all works out. I suspect I'll keep shooting until I see a problem, then worry about repair(s).

Jack,

In the end it will cost you nothing. Being patient is difficult, but that is the required price we pay. I suspect it might take a bit longer than we like, but in the end we hope this issue will be behind us.

I'm anxious for any updates. This restores a lot of "Goodwill" on my part. If a new MM-240 becomes available next year I will surely order one so that I can get my Monochrom updated with the fixed sensor and not be without a digital Leica.

Cal

Nice!

I'm pretty sure everyone is going to WISH they had the corrosion now. :rolleyes:

My Monochrom will be two years old this comming February. I expressed goodwill and bought it from PopFlash to support one of our sponsors. Got on a long waiting list, had to wait 5 months for delivery, but this is rather moot since I didn't have the money. LOL. Anyways the wait was worth it.

Now my Monochrom looks kinda well used. The top plate is displaying a patina of the nickel plating underneath the black anodize. The leatherette is worn smooth from my fingertips because I use a grip. My on/off switch has a bright nickel plated corner. No dents or dings just a lot of honest wear because I shoot a lot.

Last time I had Sherry overhaul a film M-body camera (an overhaul is different from a CLA due to new parts) it cost me $340.00 (parts and labor) due to a recent price increase, and I understand that Leica always replaces the leatherette when a digital M comes in for service.

The real bonus here I see is a fresh Leica digital that just got factory service and new leatherette for free. For me Christmas came early this year. All I have to do is be patient...

Happy Holidays.

Cal

Come to think of it, was the damage to my M9 sensor last summer also maybe due to "corrosion"? I paid $500 for labor to Leica.

Come to think of it, was the damage to my M9 sensor last summer also maybe due to "corrosion"? I paid $500 for labor to Leica.

Only one way to find out Raid... email them and ask..
One would assume (dangerous word I know) that they would keep notes on what root cause was.

Cheers,
Dave

Raid,

We now have it in writing, if it was due to sensor defect you are entitled to a full refund.

Cal

Only one way to find out Raid... email them and ask..
One would assume (dangerous word I know) that they would keep notes on what root cause was.

Cheers,
Dave

I will look up the emails from Leica NJ on the repair of my M9, Dave.

Raid,

We now have it in writing, if it was due to sensor defect you are entitled to a full refund.

Cal

All I know is that Leica replaced the sensor and the board in my M9. No details were given to me on why this happened.

They never told me what the problem was. The images would show only 50% (left half), while the right half was black. It was like making the M9 into a bad half frame camera since the exposed half was messed up too. Any sensor problem should be covered by Leica.

They never told me what the problem was. The images would show only 50% (left half), while the right half was black. It was like making the M9 into a bad half frame camera since the exposed half was messed up too. Any sensor problem should be covered by Leica.

Raid,

This is an interesting case. I wonder how Leica will handle this "Goodwill?"

The best of luck.

Cal

Back