Let's see your Leica M

Just picked up new glasses for my M3. Very impressive lens. Can't wait to test!!!
icon_beervuna.gif

p10202577m5f.jpg

beerchug7rug.gif
Wow, so much Chrome!!

I went to Tamarkin a couple weeks ago, committed to "just looking." They had several M2s and M3s, but I was smitten by this M2 with lever rewind and no self-timer. Never owned an M2 before and I'm already crazy about it.

I'm shooting a trial period for a One Camera, One Lens, One Year project, paired with this Summarit 50. I love the 50 framelines and it's the quietest, smoothest M I've owned.

New M2 | Pixel 3a by John Wolf, on Flickr

Last edited:
I went to Tamarkin a couple weeks ago, committed to "just looking." They had several M2s and M3s, but I was smitten by this M2 with lever rewind and no self-timer. Never owned an M2 before and I'm already crazy about it.

I'm shooting a trial period for a One Camera, One Lens, One Year project, paired with this Summarit 50. I love the 50 framelines and it's the quietest, smoothest M I've owned.

New M2 | Pixel 3a by John Wolf, on Flickr
Congratulations John. The Leica M2 is IMO a masterpiece. It's the first model i ever owned & I have a soft spot for them. The one i regret selling is the original black paint M2 I bought in Paris in the late '90s for $700 Cdn...

Congratulations John. The Leica M2 is IMO a masterpiece. It's the first model i ever owned & I have a soft spot for them. The one i regret selling is the original black paint M2 I bought in Paris in the late '90s for $700 Cdn...
ouch, been there.

Thank you. That would be regrettable, indeed. I've always owned black bodies, but this chrome is pretty sweet.

An anecdote from the M2 purchase: I had never loaded film using the M3/M2 system, so I bought a roll from the store and asked the salesman to show me how it's done. He loaded the film and I left, intending to shoot the roll that day to test the camera. I shot all afternoon, but when I hit 36 the counter kept going. I tried rewinding the film but no tension at all. I processed the film anyway, and sure enough, all blank. It was never fastened to the take-up spool.

Now that I've shot a few rolls this strikes me as odd, since this loading system seems particularly foolproof.

Thank you. That would be regrettable, indeed. I've always owned black bodies, but this chrome is pretty sweet.

An anecdote from the M2 purchase: I had never loaded film using the M3/M2 system, so I bought a roll from the store and asked the salesman to show me how it's done. He loaded the film and I left, intending to shoot the roll that day to test the camera. I shot all afternoon, but when I hit 36 the counter kept going. I tried rewinding the film but no tension at all. I processed the film anyway, and sure enough, all blank. It was never fastened to the take-up spool.

Now that I've shot a few rolls this strikes me as odd, since this loading system seems particularly foolproof.
@JohnWolf, you may be aware what the red dots on the rewind knob are for (a visual cue for proper film take-up/advancement):

rd2.png

red_dots.png

And, if you ever need to touch them up, here's a good RFF thread addressing that:

My first M3. Yay!

Leica M3 1057 8## mid 1962 build + 50mm Summicron Rigid 21809## early 1966 build w/ E39 UVa & infinity locked removed.

Also, Leica E39 filters; light yellow, light green, orange & a bonus 39mm DAG Black Vented Hood too.ScreenShot2023-12-02at4_07_02pm.png.2a43d0ec482f7c6cecbcad3548c2d6f8.pngScreenShot2023-12-02at4_04_45pm.png.d40e18b25e456a80da621bab13c1f389.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Back