Let's see your Leica M

M5

M5

M5 and 90mm f2 Summicron with Luigi case and soft release. Covering the M5's rather chunky loins with some of Luigi's finest leather does wonders and the largish 90mm Summicron suits its looks!

(who says they're ugly?)

:p :)
I have an identical M5 with a dark green Luigi case and strap. I'll admit that it lacks the "classic" Leica looks, but ugly? Not at all. It fits nicely in my hands. The viewfinder/RF is awesome and the setting readouts, being analog let you know exactly what they are. No red blinkies. It is built and finished better than my old M4-P and the shutter is oh-so silent. Just a quiet "snick".:)

There are so many beautiful M cameras and lenses here. Let me post something else, not an M camera, but a Leica M3 VF/RF module that I purchased 20 years ago for my M3 camera. I was worried one fine day my favorite M3 camera's VF/RF may black out, so when I saw this on eBay one night, I just bought it. Good thing I don't have to use it so far.

IMG_3494.jpg

Nicest M I've seen in 15+ years. Essentially no signs of use. Perhaps because of disuse, it had bad speeds, so I sent it to DAG. First curtain problem, so he installed Ti curtains.

Do I assume correctly that Ti curtains will outlast the camera now?
I'd be interested in getting that done to mine if it isn't too $$$.

These are curtains DAG acquired from Canon. They are from the original F1. So they are ~50 years old already! But still younger than the camera. :)

I previously had donor Nikon F2 curtains installed in an M5 (link Titanium Shutter for Leica M) but the F2 disassembly takes time so I went with the ready to install F1 curtains this go-round.

I suppose the curtains could get damaged via abuse or accident, as the material is quite thin, same risk as with any other camera with Ti shutter material.

But no worries about sunlight burning a hole!

There are so many beautiful M cameras and lenses here. Let me post something else, not an M camera, but a Leica M3 VF/RF module that I purchased 20 years ago for my M3 camera. I was worried one fine day my favorite M3 camera's VF/RF may black out, so when I saw this on eBay one night, I just bought it. Good thing I don't have to use it so far.

View attachment 4836336
I did the same many years ago, haven't needed to use it for any of my 3 M3's. Mine is part number 42-253-017-000 (cf. 042-582-003-000), if anyone else does this it's worth being aware that there were a lot of changes in the design of M3 viewfinders and it may not be easy/possible to cross-fit variants of viewfinders/bodies...

BTW It surprises me that there is no sub-forum "Show me your Leica M Digital" (since the M8 was produced in 2006).....
& they have to slum it with us, the "Leica M Film Cameras".....

BTW It surprises me that there is no sub-forum "Show me your Leica M Digital" (since the M8 was produced in 2006).....
& they have to slum it with us, the "Leica M Film Cameras".....

Pft. The slum is on their side of the divide, but we "real" photographers need to be gracious to all, notwithstanding their heresies. Bwhahahahahahaha .,,

Back