[New test photos released] Leica Summicron 35/2 Eight Element copy made in China

What is the effect on the photography and the images with such a difference?
I am trying to show the copy vs real leica
One think is related to the term "replica" vs "Shanzhai"
Another thing is related to the user complain about lens "wobble" or manufacture tolerance

But these are no copies of the SBLOO. The SBLOO finder is the best 35mm finder there is. In black paint they are extremely rare. Usually they are in chrome.

However, I don't know how good these copies are. I've never seen one in the flesh. I have an original black paint SBLOO from Leitz. Hard to beat that one.

Erik.

The finders are about equally bright. For the record, I find the Zeiss (Sony) 35mm finder brighter than both of the above but with a lower magnification.

There are some differences in the design of the shoe mount. Also, framelines on the SBLOO are slightly curved while those on the LLL finder are straight. SBLOO has more contrasty framelines.

51311323332_ceedf63d24_z.jpg

51311323297_96bcc94566_z.jpg

Last edited:
The SBLOO was produced for a long time. I've owned versions with both types of feet the curved and solid. The engraving on the SBLOO was very elegant IMO. I think the LLL would have looked better with all the engraving hidden on the underside.

Straight lines in a viewfinder like the SBLOO are not good, because the image in the viewfinder distorts. The lines need tot follow this distortion.

I have an original SBLOO in black paint I bought many years ago. This finder in black paint is very rare, but not as rare as a SBOOI in black paint. I have a SBOOI in black paint too, but I've never seen another one.

Erik.

Erik, you own many rare pieces. Good for you. You also take beautiful images. Therefore, your collection is not for sake of collecting. You are actually using your photography equipment very well.

I have an original SBLOO in black paint I bought many years ago. This finder in black paint is very rare, but not as rare as a SBOOI in black paint. I have a SBOOI in black paint too, but I've never seen another one.

Erik.

Eric, Those two are certainly unicorns. In all my years of using Leica, i've never come across one in shops i visited in Europe, N America & Japan...but i would have snapped them up for sure!

Erik, you own many rare pieces. Good for you. You also take beautiful images. Therefore, your collection is not for sake of collecting. You are actually using your photography equipment very well.
Fantastic comment - good for you Erik, I try to do the same.

Back