New to Me Minolta Autocord

Nokton48

Mentor
Local time
2:24 AM
Minolta Autocord by Nokton48, on Flickr

I snagged this for $70 at a local auction a week ago. I've sent it for a CLA replacement of focus knob and lens calibration. Advances and fires very smoothly.

Some light cleaning marks but those add character :cool::cool:

Any other Autocord users out there? I am into Minolta SRTs etc bigtime so this camera makes sense to me.

You're so lucky! I've got one in much worse condition, but it works after some diy work. My screen and mirror are very dark, how's yours? It's a fragile camera in some ways. Be very careful to have the focusing lever moved all to way to either side before opening the back or it will break off. I've only recently used it seriously for the first time, and have yet to develop the films...

I'm sure the screen and mirror are dusty, maybe need replacement? It's a matte circular screen and a bit dark but very usuable.

I'm sending the camera to fabled Autocord repair guy Karl Bryan. [email protected]

Loved mine; not sure why I sold it... I really liked the focus lever in use and never had any trouble with it. My camera was solid yet compact; very nice to use. Similar quality to a Rolleicord. Much nicer than my Yashica 124.

Got great negs from it. Enjoy!

Karl did the CLA to my new to me Autocord LMX. There was a lot wrong with mine when I bought it. Front standard was loose. Leatherette was peeling. Shutter was jammed. He smoothed it all out for me. I had a Rick Oleson screen installed and new leather from cameraleather, as well as the the usual CLA stuff. And the meter works. It's one of three TLRs I own and now my favorite.

From Karl:

"The tripod mount had been bent and was preventing the bottom film roller from rotating, easier to replace than to straighten. The aperture/shutter control panel was bent and twisted and the cost for me to straighten it out was way more than a replacement (which is actually nicer looking than what you had on the camera). The shutter when received would not fire, oil on the shutter blades was acting like an adhesive and preventing the blades from moving. I opened up the shutter and cleaned/polished the shutter blades and cleaned the aperture control ring (now the aperture adjusts smoothly). Focus as received was infinity when the focus lever was at 50’, now the focus is correctly set for both the taking and viewing lenses. The front lens board looseness was caused by the screws coming loose."

Nice!

Mine looks just like it, but I don't have the meter

There were seven or eight Rolleis at the auction that went cheap but I didn't want a Rollei.

Just got one of these last week. Not had a roll through it yet as I’ve a few half rolls in other cameras to use up yet. A friend and his wife both shoot the Autocord on the street.

Paul

I have a couple, both CLA'd by Karl. Nice cameras, easy to use with good lenses.

Since I am just around the 270 bend from you, let me know if you want to venture out for an Autocord shoot when you get yours back from the CLA.

I love mine. Terrific lens. I like that the film remains flat when it's in the camera for a while like mine always is. Dan Daniel from this list CLAd mine and put in a new mirror for a reasonable cost.

Enjoy

Yep, an Autocord was my first foray into medium format and it’s still a favourite, even after ‘upgrading’ with a Hasselblad 6x6 kit. Fantastic lens, great ergonomics and nice and compact.

I bought a refurbished example from Dan Daniels (member here and over at Apug) and it’s always worked faultlessly.

Be very careful to have the focusing lever moved all to way to either side before opening the back or it will break off.

I’ve heard lots of stories about issues with the Autocord focus lever, but I’ve never heard that story (not experienced it in practice). Can you elaborate?

I’ve heard lots of stories about issues with the Autocord focus lever, but I’ve never heard that story (not experienced it in practice). Can you elaborate?

Well that's probably how they break, if they break. Look at your specimen. The focusing lever is in the way of the back when focused at mid distances.

To retinax: I've had at least four different Autocords and I have two now. None of them have had broken focusing levers and I have never heard of, or experienced, any problem with the focusing lever and opening the back.

To Nokton48: I'm a Minolta fan, myself, and I currently have two Autocords, five SR-Ts, two X-570s with winders, and three Minolta meters.

I always wanted a Rolleiflex, but my first TLR was a Minolta Autocord CdS-III, and I still have it and treasure it. I had a Maxwell screen installed in mine, though the standard screen is among the better ones of its time. I also have an Autocord I/Standard, and I have had two or three others. I now have ten TLRs, including two Rolleis, and my favorites are the Autocords and the Mamiyas.

I'm always happy to see that someone else has discovered these fine cameras. Get that CLA and enjoy yours!

- Murray

PS. Ask Karl Bryan about the situation referenced by retinax. This is news to me, but Mr Bryan would certainly know if it is a problem. If he says that it is, please let the rest of us know!

Hello Don

He has a choice of black and chrome replacement focus knobs at the moment, he likes the black and I'll go for that

I might go for a Rick Oleson screen, I saw one in an Autocord at MPX in Columbus. Original screen might also be OK

Also maybe Griptac from cameraleather, there are many different models of Autocords on cameraleather site. Something to think about.

Received this morning:

Do you recall which shutter your camera has? If it is the Seikosha (my favorite and the most reliable) then you have to remember to not go to/from the 1/500 second setting with the shutter cocked. The 1/500 second setting has a booster spring that has to be engaged prior to the shutter being cocked and the shutter cannot be cocked in order to go out of the 1/500 second setting. So, if you find you want to go to/from the 1/500 and the shutter is cocked, cover the lens, fire the shutter, set new shutter speed, use the double exposure lever located behind the film crank, rotate the film crank backwards (counter clock wise), the camera is now ready to take a picture at the new shutter speed setting. The double exposure lever allows the shutter to be cocked without moving the film.

The other thing to avoid is carrying the camera with the camera set at mid focus. The focus knob is protected when the camera is at infinity or at close focus, but at mid focus the focus lever points straight down and is exposed to accidental impacts.

Received later today:

I received your camera this morning and have finished working on it. The following services were performed:

repair broken focus lever $150
clean/lubricate focus helix
reset focus of taking/viewing lens
clean outer surfaces of lens groups
lubricated take up film spool drive gear
lubricated film rollers
checked frame advance
cleaned mirror/ground glass/Fresnel lens
cleaned aperture/shutter control panel $15
cleaned aperture/shutter view window $10
checked shutter
cleaned/polished shutter blades $45
lubricated waist level finder magnifier
installed waist level finder support spring $5
tighten pressure plate screws
installed used front leatherette

subtotal: $225
PayPal fees: $8
Shipping: $19
Total due: $252

I do have a used front lens cap, $5. If you want the lens cap then the total due is $257. Please email me in regards to the lens cap.

What a nice looking camera with a very sharp lens. I think you will have fun taking photos with it. When received the shutter would not open. Upon inspection is what a little bit of oil and rust on the shutter blades that were holding it up. Shutter now works very well.

regards,
karl

I have griptac on many of my 35mm and other cameras and I'm sure I've seen a few others happy with the combo on the Autocord.

Thanks MFM :)

Back