Night Photography

Here's one I took when we lived in Fiji a few years ago:

p824502407-4.jpg

Mamiya 645, 45mm lens, APX100, flash on the trees at the end of the exposure.

Recently on Munich's Oktoberfest:
5019579985_39313184dc_b.jpg

BTW, this is a composite of four BW conversions of a photograph that was originally shot in color. No ordinary bw film could have possibly delivered exactly this result. The original picture had a multicolored illumination and showed blatant, screaming and glaring colors all over the spectrum. The secret behind this picture is that the four conversions mimicked four drastically different spectral 'film sensitivities'.

Last edited:
So many good and various pictures here ! It will take me a complete afternoon to look at each one and try to learn something for the coming nights...
robert, not yet sure how and what try ... I have some delta 400 in the fridge...and the cv 35/1,7 on the table...

Lindau, Germany

Lindau, Germany

my small contribution from the past, , delta 400, not sure which camera, probably Bessa R with cv 35/1,7 hand held
U3692I1270328689.SEQ.0.jpg

M7, delta 400, Berlin, Germany hand held.

U3692I1260042989.SEQ.0.jpg

Last edited:
From the first film I shot using my Hexar RF: M-Hexanon 35/2.0, f4 @ 1/10s handheld, shot on Kodak BW40 CN @ ISO 400. Slightly cropped plus agressive unsharp masking to accentuate traces of blur:

4347374838_ae4a08071f_o.jpg

Very nice Arjay!

I tried BW40 CN only once and have it stacked as one of the films, I don't like and plan to use again (same as TMax).

Yours looks great.

I tried BW40 CN only once and have it stacked as one of the films, I don't like and plan to use again (same as TMax).
Thanks for your compliments!

I feel the same way about BW 400 CN and Tmax. OTOH, I feel both of these films have specifically been optimized for scanning. When I do pp on the scanned image files, I apply a gradation curve by default that boosts dark shadows to get vastly improved tonality.

On BW 400CN, this works only if I expose it at EI 200 to 250, or else I get banding in the shadow areas. IN the picture above, I was very lucky not to have visible banding traces in important parts of the picture.

I mostly photo at night in winter. Just because it's dark doesn't mean I should let all that time go to waste! I sometimes light things up using about 9,000ws of portable flash. Here are two shots I made with my 1937 Voigtland Bessa this past month:

Kent in SD

Hotel Sacred Heart,
Slumbering Diesels

BA5SHhotel.jpg

BA5bnsfYard.jpg

Back