NOT cameras or lenses

Roger Hicks

Mentor
Local time
7:15 AM
Gitzo's Reporter carbon-fibre tripods; Artisan and Artist camera straps; what other top-flight products do you like? And what useful but unglamorous products? Hood-hats from OpTech; PrintFile neg sleeves; UltraPod table-top tripods; Nova developing tanks...

'Micro-tests' of some of these appear in http://www.rogerandfrances.com/reviews alpha.html but I'd be interested to know what others think makes their photography easier or better or more luxurious, excluding cameras and lenses (and film, paper or other recording media).

Of course, bags could be a whole thread on their own, so maybe we should exclude those too. Or maybe not.

Cheers,

Roger

Last edited:
Luigi's neck straps, Gordy's wrist straps, Giottos Rocket Airs, the Sekonic TwinMate L-208 meter, the Ilford film retriever, Paterson tanks and reels and a good supply of IXMOO cassettes.

Q-tips and Ronsonol lighter fluid. For cleaning and clearing stuck shutters on old fixed-lens rangefinders. Q-tips also used to clean digital sensors on dSLR.

Expo-Disc for setting white balance on digital SLR. Really my secret weapon for dSLR.

Gossen Digisix and Sekonic L-358 (w/ 1 deg spot meter attachment) light meters.

Remote shutter release (wireless for digital, standard cable type for film).

Wintec WBT-200 Data-logging GPS.

Kodakcraft developing tanks and aprons.

Diafine and D-76.

Rechargeable CR-V3 Li-on batteries and 2700 mAh Nimh AA batteries.

Linux, Vuescan, Exiftool, Perl, The GIMP, Konica-Minolta Scan Dual IV and Epson PHOTO Perfection 4490.

Small set of spanner wrenches and jeweler's (Wiha brand) screwdrivers from Micro-Tools.

Accessory-shoe clip-on rangefinder.

Columbia 'Bahama III Fishing Shirt' from Cabelas. SPF 30 protection, light-weight, many pockets, ventilated, and does not look like a "I'm a famous photographer" Domke vest. Cheaper, too.

Spyderco Parrot-beak pocketknife.

Mephisto shoes when working indoors.

Any old enlarger lens to be used as a loupe.

Spare pair eyeglasses.

Shantou ERA B&W film.

eBay.

Freestyle Photo.

B&H.

There's a camera strap called the "y-strap" that's great - it lets your camera hang to the side, but allows you to bring it up to your eye quickly without catching on your clothes. I'm also a bit fan of Tim's "thumbs up."

Kept a good quality Chamois Leather in my camera bag for years for wiping, drying packing and wrapping spare lens in pocket in when out and about.Great smell when new too!Obligatory Moleskine pocket book.Great to see Roger has a place with the experts at long last.

Regards
Steve

-disposable hotel shower caps (instant camera raincoat).

-tiny LED keychain flashlight

-thick, fuzzy-type microfiber cloth

-Leitz tabletop tripod & small black Leitz ballhead

-Older Leitz ballhead w/reversible 1/4"-3/8" on both ends

-Cam-Cane (walking stick converts to monopod)

-Pliobond and JB-WELD (adhesives for fixing almost anything camera-related)

-Set of Leica-M top-plate tools from Micro-Tools.com

-Camlogix shutter speed tester

-Contax off-camera TTL cord (works w/all TTL and non-TTL Leicas, smaller than Nikon cords).

-Voitlander double-shoe adaptor

Dr. Zhou half cases,
Crumpler bags,
watson bulk loaders,
Jobo tanks,
New Balance sneakers\Redback boots(depending on weather)

- ND filters
- digital light meter with contrast scale (my favorite is a big old meter from Gossen)
- A&A straps & GMP grips

Did I say ND filters ? :)

Cheers,

Roland.

You've already mentioned Gitzo tripods, and I'll add the Arca-Swiss B2 head, which has the strength/weight ratio of a ballhead and the control of a pan-tilt head.

Op-Tech Hood Hats are great.

For large format, the Suunto Tandem Clinometer-Compass is a very handy gadget for squaring up any kind of floppy view camera that doesn't have levels, scales and detentes, and if you like to work by calculation (which I don't usually) measuring the angle of the plane of focus and tilt and swing angles. Yeah, I know this is the RFF, but sometimes my Technikas act like RFs and sometimes they act like view cameras.

Somewhat less expensive is an angle finding level for measuring tilt angles and making sure the groundglass and lens are plumb.

Sharpies. Always handy to have sharpies.

Gaffer's tape--you never know when you'll need it.

Little spring clamps--useful for attaching square filters to odd sized things, holding small reflectors, pinning branches out of the way, and such.

Ex-Officio shirts, which are cool in the hot weather, UV resistant, and have pockets big enough for a 4x5" Grafmatic.

Hama rubber 3-position zoom lens shade--very compact way to have the proper shade for a variety of lenses (or for zooms, but that's not an RF thing), if you use step up rings on all your lenses.

The Nikor stainless steel sheet film tank. I process sheet film in the Nikor tank, trays, and using tanks and hangers, and they're all perfectly good methods, but the Nikor tank is really a marvel of manufacturing and would cost a fortune to make today. Jobo makes something similar in plastic, but the Nikor holds 12 sheets and the Jobo only six. They still sell for upwards of $130, though they've all got to be at least 25 years old, and I recently saw one go for over $200 without the metal band that keeps the sheets in place (a rubber band will also work for this purpose, so it's not entirely useless).

Jobo sheet film clips--really expensive now at $5.50 a piece (for a film clip!), but totally worth it if you need to process a lot of film and don't have a lot of room to hang it up. The clip pierces the corner of the sheet with a pin, so contact area is minimal but strong enough for any format, and it holds the film perpendicular to the drying line, so you can hang a lot of sheets of any format in a small space. I've got 40 now.

My Leitz NATRA/NAMAS negative viewer with punch, it belonged my photographer uncle, he bought it new in the 30's. I still use it and have never found anything better for the job!! Still in its original red box with instructions and receipt.

You people are hardcore! Being a newbie at this I carry a pen and note pad for exposures and such so I can go back and what worked and what didn't. I like the shower cap idea!

Back