NOT cameras or lenses

Tupperware square flat tubs for carrying film on trips. They can hold 16 rolls of 35mm film out of the cans. The TSA people love them when I bother to ask for a hand check of my film at airports. I bought a half-dozen from my secretary about twenty years ago, and they're still going strong.

And a Guinness bar towel, for wiping off my camera when shooting in the rain.

1 1/2" paint brush for cleaning dusty cameras
Sharpies...of course
Woolrich Guide (photo) Vest
Duracell AA batteries & the freebie battery tester
Foam (Soda/Beer) Can Insulator for protecting lenses in bag
Those bargin bins full of old lens & body caps...

My indispensable items:

Moleskine (there are different versions and sizes to consider) + ballpoint
Digimate III (portable hard drive with memory card slots and battery)
Newswear belt bags
Rough Guide!

wrist straps - current fave is luigi's

side grip - current fave is zeiss ikon (fits zi & cle)

ball cap - current fave is rff hat

microfiber cloth - current fave is oversized pentax cloth

pain killer - current fave is oxycodone

joe

Moleskine, Mont Blanc Meisterstuck Traveller Platinum propelling pencil, good guide books/maps, a Swiss Army "Mini-Champ" on my keyring to trim the leader for my LTMs, Leica M b2b coupling rings (WHY don't they make them anymore?), a Minox monocular, a shemagh (1000 uses), Helios multifinder, Luigi halfcases, Gordy wrist-straps, Abrahamsson Rapidgrip, LowePro Street&Field Light Belt - the list goes on.

Regards.

Bill

Erik's post about the Gitzos prompts the Part 2 of my question.

What was it about these great favourites that made them your favorites?

Sometimes, no doubt, it's merely a question of its being the only thing you've tried in a particular area -- which must be true in some cases of those who have seemingly listed half the equipment they own.

Here are four versions of slightly more detailed praise, apart from seconding Erik's view of the Gitzos:

Billingham cases and A&A straps: I find it hard to imagine anyone doing it better. My oldest Billingham cases are over 25 years old, and the A&A straps would evince "They don't make 'em like that any more" -- except that they do. I assume Luigi's straps are the same, but I've never seen 'em

OpTech and UltraPod: I can't readily imagine better use of simple materials. High stability in the latter cse, superb protection in the former.

And a question: why do people use full or half cases? I'm not saying you're wrong: just that I don't understand. Why make a camera bulkier and slower to reload?

Apologies, of course, to those who have explained why they like things. And thanks -- albeit qualified, because this is going to cost me money -- to those who have inspired me to look out for the things they recommend. I confess I had to look up 'shemagh' but I fear I may need one.

Cheers,

Roger

Last edited:
And a question: why do people use full or half cases? I'm not saying you're wrong: just that I don't understand. Why make a camera bulkier and slower to reload?

Entirely fair question, Roger.

I have four rangefinders - M7, M2, IIIc and IID. The M7 wears the Rapidgrip, the M2 and IIIc Luigi half-cases, and the IID is naked as nature intended. For me it is less about protection than handling. I have large hands, with long fingers and find a small camera can be harder to hold. The bizarre exception to this is the IID, which to me, is the perfect balance between weight and bulk as it is.

The slower loading aspect doesn't bother me. If I am going to machine-gun a subject I'll be using a DSLR anyway. I tend to use the need to change rolls as the cue to find a cafe and enjoy a cup of tea.

The only exception to this was when I was in Seville recently. I had the M2 around my neck and the M7 in my hand or shoulder bag. When I was shooting the rapidly changing Semana Santa parades I left the half-case in my bag. Whilst I was perfectly able to use the M2 without it, I have to say I missed it.

Regards,

Bill

Bit of a subjective this one really, but here at the moment are my luxury items and why:

Berlebach Wooden Tripod - Tactile, the thunk as the legs slide down to full extension is soo satisfying, it's just proper retro, and it's not freezing to carry either.
Mamiya Paramender 3 - Like owning a Unicorn, and it works beautifully too with the above.
Epson V750 pro scanner - The whirring noise as it scans, just gets my creative juices flowing in anticipation (it's going right now! :) )

Here are some of the cheap Goodies I use:
Cable release - I feel like a proper photographer when I'm using it
Small folding reflector - A free giveaway from AP some years ago, indispensable and always with me
Ugly Betty the 60mm Macro - A donation from Holmes over at Nikonians, it's just a great lens
Folding scissors, a Christmas cracker 'swap' - Trim the leader on film for my Leica III (Did it in the dark last week too!)

A shorter list than some I think, and it would probably be different on a different day, but this is today's list. Some great thoughts above, it's like sharing the accumulated wisdom of years. Marvellous! :D

Regards to all

Last edited:
Some great thoughts above, it's like sharing the accumulated wisdom of years.

That was my feeling too. Some of it, you think, "That's dead obvious" or "What a poseur" or even "Oh, dear, he's missed the point [again]." Even so, there is more than enough here to make me (and, I hope, others) think "That's a good idea. I should try that..."

I especially liked your analysis of why you like things. Thanks.

Cheers,

R.

I love Hewes reels for film development, and changing bags for safety in the field and loading dev tanks.
VS

A scarf/shemagh- it's always seems to be bl**dy cold when I'm out!
Waterproof boots (It's always wet and see above)
A flask of coffee/hot drink (see the two above!)
Leatherman - sorts nearly every tech problem in the field
Hat, gloves, notepad, pen.
mp3 player - headphones off of these have saved many a video shoot!!
A quick wit and good nature - these have gotten me out of more trouble than enough at times, as has the sense to put the camera down and walk away!
It's maybe not the list that Roger's after; but it's what I use! And it's priceless!!! (Yes - too many apostrophes - I know!!!!)

wrist straps - current fave is luigi's

side grip - current fave is zeiss ikon (fits zi & cle)

ball cap - current fave is rff hat

microfiber cloth - current fave is oversized pentax cloth

pain killer - current fave is oxycodone

joe

i didn't notice in the op that you were asking 'why' we liked these things...

wrist strap & grips, i like them because they are comfortable, make the camera easier to hold at my side, where i prefer it. they add to my feeling of security and i think i can shoot a bit slower if i have a sturdy hold on the camera.

ball cap, keep the sun out of my eyes, no need for sun glasses, which i find hard to focus if i'm wearing them.

microfiber cloth, good for lenses, camera bodies and my own specs when in need of a wipe down.

pain killers, bad back, arthritis in my knees, ankles and walking makes it all hurt, especially in the cold.

about the use of half cases, they make life easier shooting in fridgid temps.

- Op/Tech Super Pro strap: nothing is better to make you think the Fuji G690 around your neck is a Canonet.
- Voigtländer VC lighmeter to put on top of the big Fuji.
- Voigtländer double-shoe adaptor to allow the use of the lighmeter and the Fuji 50mm finder at the same time. Please Mr. K, give me a triple adaptor so I can add the Voigtländer bubble level for my superwide shots!
- No name lens pouches from B&H to protect the lenses without turning into a mushroom factory.
- Domke bag to put all this stuff.

Cheers!

Abbazz

Do Leica cassettes qualify as non camera. Ablon and bench winder.

I that does not qualify, Focomat 1C, V35, Mac computer, KM 5400 scanner.

First: the Velbon 343 tripod, very small and light, it allows you to take it places where you normally would not take a tripod. In a pinch it has, just barely, supported my Crown Graphic. Surprising stability for a small and inexpensive 'pod. The 343 is cheap enough that if it is lost or broken it is easily replaced.

Second: Majestic Gearhead, the ultra heavy weight geared tripod head. My tripod head of choice for LF when possible.

Back