NOT cameras or lenses

Not including straps/bags.

- Peli film case. Takes 6 rolls of 35mm film, is contoured to fit nicely in a back pocket (if that's your thing) and is yellow making it super easy to find in a camera bag or amongst your clothes in a bag.

- 0.7mm permanent marker. Great for popping notes on a roll of film.

- Berlin airport security. Because they were very friendly when I asked them to swab instead of Xray my neopan1600.

When I go shooting, I wear a hat and take a large, soft, cotton towel. I put the towel in my back pocket and let it dangle down. A towel comes in handy for all kinds of things.

Other than camera gear, these two items are always in my bag. An Olympus Pearlcorder tape recorder and a small hand-hand Casio color TV. Sometimes, when on assignment, I use the tape recorder to record my thoughts or observations or for interviews. The TV I use for frequent long delays or downtime between shooting. If I get bored, I simply pop out the Casio and watch a bit of TV.

Last edited:
Permanent Marker (in red) for marking film, Porter Bag to carry all the stuff, microfiber cloth, Masuko (If I remember the name correctly ...) stainless steel tanks and reels. (Easy to load and easy to clean), Changing bag.

When I go shooting, I . . . take a large, soft, cotton towel. I put the towel in my back pocket and let it dangle down. A towel comes in handy for all kinds of things.

Dear Rick,

Are you familiar with the Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy?

A man who knows where his towel is...

Seriously, great idea. As are many others here. It's just that yours prompted a reply.

Cheers,

R.

Softies - For taking pictures of inside the camera bag. I actually do like the ability soft releases give me to use slower shutter speeds.
Wriststrap - The kind that screw into the tripod mount give me a lot better feeling of security than the kind that use the the strap lug.
Empty film canisters - to keep tiny things like Softies in.
Monopod - Also functions as a walking stick.

Dear Rick,

Are you familiar with the Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy?

A man who knows where his towel is...

Seriously, great idea. As are many others here. It's just that yours prompted a reply.

Cheers,

R.

Yes, Roger, I am very familiar with that. :)

And it is so true, too. ;)

Moleskine notebook- small size, fits in the camera bag, stays shut.

Sharpies XF point for writing on film cassettes & in the Moleskine- writes on everything.

Domke Gripper Strap- stays on the shoulder, less hot than a leather strap come summer.

Microfiber cloth. Easy.

What a fun thread.

My old Wenger pocket knife is a jack of all trade and is useful in the most unexpected manner while photographing (and also to open boxes upon boxes of GAS-reducing ... uh, gears :D )

Also a 100-pack of Clear File negative sleeves for various sizes. I just ordered them from Freestyle to put an end to my negatives sprawling on the floor. I don't know why I waited this long.

And that Domke F2 I still yet to obtain... drool!

Looks like I'm going to have to investigate Moleskines. Until now I had been resistant to the idea that 'just' a notebook could cost that much. But I suppose if A&A can ask 'just' that much for a strap...

Two questions: what is the magic of these things? And, how is their name pronounced? Mole-skine? Mole-ess-kine? Mole-ess-kin? Moleskin, like the trousers?

Cheers,

R.

What a fun thread.

My old Wenger pocket knife is a jack of all trade and is useful in the most unexpected manner while photographing (and also to open boxes upon boxes of GAS-reducing ... uh, gears :D )

Also a 100-pack of Clear File negative sleeves for various sizes. I just ordered them from Freestyle to put an end to my negatives sprawling on the floor. I don't know why I waited this long.

Over the last 40+ years I've had two Wengers then three Victorinoxes, which are easier to find (though not, I think, necessarily as good); the others wore out ( = became sloppy), or were lost, or broke (not easy, but you can do it). But I keep a separate knife (a ratty old Opinel) for opening parcels, to keep the sticky stuff off the blades of my Victorinox of the moment and Leatherman of the moment (three of those in 20 years; one lost, one stolen).

For neg sleeves, also consider PrintFile: http://www.rogerandfrances.com/photoschool/mt print file.html

Cheers,

Roger

• Wein flash slave peanuts
• dollar store bungee cords for attaching flash units to bars, rails etc
• "S" hooks for hanging stuff from to keep it off the dirt at dirty sites

Micromega grain magnifier
Schneider loupe
Kenro storage binders
Tetenal cleaning cloths, sprays and spotting pens
Moleskine notebook
Koh-I-Noor mechanical clutch pencil
and Vendetta knife

I've just been looking at notebooks as I'm after a nice pocket one for exposure and developing notes. Has any tried Ciak notebooks? They're the same price as the Moleskines on Amazon but unlike the current Moleskines they're made of real leather.

Incidentally, is anyone else put off by the gushing devotion that Moleskines seem to generate? Some of the pages that come up on Google on these things make the Leica fetishizing we see look positively restrained. I love well made things but I think it's a mistake to imbue them with mystical properties. The old 'it's just a tool' line really should apply.

Matthew

Mamiya loupe

Just lightbox

Recently I bought a small Moleskine daily planner. I had been put off by all the gushing (about notebooks?!) however it is practical & well designed.

Incidentally, is anyone else put off by the gushing devotion that Moleskines seem to generate? Some of the pages that come up on Google on these things make the Leica fetishizing we see look positively restrained. I love well made things but I think it's a mistake to imbue them with mystical properties. The old 'it's just a tool' line really should apply.

Dear Matthew,

That's one of the reasons I'd never considered one: until now, no-one whose opinion I respected had recommended them, and they looked like the worst kind of vapid consumerism.

But how DO you pronounce 'Moleskine'?

Cheers,

R.

Dear Matthew,

That's one of the reasons I'd never considered one: until now, no-one whose opinion I respected had recommended them, and they looked like the worst kind of vapid consumerism.

Cheers,

R.

Dear Roger,

My first contact with Moleskine was not by it's fame, I accidently found their City Notebook series and I've tried one. Those are cityguides I'm writting by myself, there's a very good map, street index and blank pages waiting to be filled with own experience. So far I have Barcelona, Paris and Amsterdam and consider them to be the best pieces for big cities travelling. The lined plain notebook I'm using for dev time, printing and other notes, is the result of this positive experience.

Dear Matthew,

Cheers,

R.

Well, I use them too, so you may strike them off your list now.

Mole-ess-keen-ah, I believe.

I use them because they fit in my back pocket, they have firm covers and open flat so that I can write in them with one hand and the thing on my knee if need be, they don't go floppy when sweated on, they're not that expensive when purchased online, but they cost more than wire-loop notebooks one buys at the store, so they tend not to get lost. The pages are not removable except for the last several in the back, they have a pocket for keeping business cards. I prefer the 'Ruled Reporter Notebook'.

http://www.moleskine.com

Sincerely,

A. Poseur

I use a moleskine too, or rather what appears to be a copy of it. Was only few dollars at a book store, very compact and convenient for scribing notes on the go.

Back