not much excitement about new fuji gear!?

I am waiting for the Fuji X-H2, rumored to be launched in mid-2021. I like the looks of the new Fuji 27mm but I have a good CV 40mm as we speak. Cheers, OtL

as to the 100v I rarely leave it behind...I think I could live with that camera alone for a long time.

I just don't like the 35mm FOV... I prefer 40mm as my widest lens. I know it seems like nitpicking, but I'm just not a wide angle guy. I'd sell it, but I don't see anything better to replace it with in Chile.

Fixed lens cameras are kind of disposable to me especially digital. I would prefer to get a few nice primes and use them for a long time and only upgrade the bodies.

I never cared about the disposable-ness of digital... as long as I have something that works for the photography I want to do. I also never stressed about using too much film. It’s the same to me. I guess I’ve never had a super long love affair with a camera. However, fixed lens cameras have been some of the coolest cameras ever made, so I can’t resist.

While I have no doubt the GFX100s will still be considered a superb performer a decade from now, I don't know how it would work as my everyday, carry-about camera: Between the typically longer focal length lenses used, and the high resolution, if your technique isn't up to snuff, it'll be readily apparent when the files are viewed at 100%. Happy snaps taken Leica M style with kinda-sorta focusing aren't going to cut it here I think, unless your Leica M style involves focusing with magnified live view.

Fujifilm offerings for around a $1000 look attractive

Fujifilm offerings for around a $1000 look attractive

Thanks to the pandemic, I cannot travel, cannot socialize, cannot make money. It is very difficult for me to get excited about anything.

I wish Fuji's recently released moderately priced offerings were available back in September of 2020.

As the Fall semester began, because of the pandemic - I had to begin to do presentations via the web. I wasn't too satisfied look from my MacBook's built-in web cam. I first looked at the alternatives from Fujifilm, which were getting long in tooth. Live streaming was doable with the older entry-level Fujis, but not ideal.

Had the X-S10 been available, I would have bought it versus the second hand Sony a6400. Basically, I got the a6400 with its native 35mm f/1.8 OSS lens for about the same price of the Fujifilm X-S10. Both cameras make for attractive video platforms.

Long story, short, I prefer the Fujifilm user interface. The Fujifilm X-S10, as usual for the brand, offers more customizable buttons, more control dials, a better featured touch screen, plus there is the useful little joystick control versus nada on the a6400. Unfortunately, I had to hit the ground running back in September, not November or December.

Fast forward to today and on to a second affordable Fujifilm mirrorless body - the X-E4 will be available soon. With the 27mm, f/2.8 it's a compact beauty.

I have done a COVID inspired sell off of film gear mostly Leicas because they fetch the highest. Selling non essential lenses and M bodies quickly filled up my hobby war chest and I was able to replace the MP and M7 with an M10M. I also sold my Leica R kit. Oh yes and we sold the house and I had to give away my darkroom stuff, film and the chemicals. The house sold faster than we thought and we are now in a rented apartment month to month with my stuff in storage waiting for the shots. I am continuing to sell stuff because they are just sitting around anyway. And I am retired apparently because work involved travel, meeting clients and getting things done and that’s not possible. I am letting my beard grow to celebrate this milestone. In hindsight though that M10M was expensive and a bit overindulgent. I am keeping it but am getting off the Wetzler bus. Hope it’ll last the next 15 years. So Fujifilm! Yes I am excited. I am eyeing that GFX 100s to replace the 4x5 kit I sold.

I'm impressed with Fuji medium format cameras, and I checked out the X-E4 as a potential, but I ended up going with a second hand XT3, will keep my X-Pro1, and will put money into lenses. I am interested in the X-H2 when it finaly appears, as I'm more interested in video for personal projects and the XT3/X-Pro1 easily meet my still image requirements.

With the benefit of hindsight, I’ve come to realize the X100V is what I should’ve had all along. However, it wasn’t available in 2012.

What I got, and still have, is the X-Pro1 with the 35/1.4 and 23/1.4 (50 & 35 equivalents). My attraction to the X-Pro1 was the external control layout and the hybrid viewfinder. What makes it less than total fun is the clutter of buttons on the back, which always get inadvertently pushed and causes something to pop up and distract me. It is very very annoying. Also, such a camera is not small enough for me to carry everywhere - it is too big, especially with the 23mm lens and its huge petal hood.

Over time, I realized that the X-T2 or later models offered more external controls, a better rear layout, and would’ve been the perfect interchangeable lens X system platform. The X100V is everything I’d want in a take-everywhere camera: minimal rear buttons, good controls on top, a good all-around lens, and a slim compact form factor.

Right now, the X100V costs more than I can justify, though the prices for X-T2’s are amazingly low.

With the benefit of hindsight, I’ve come to realize the X100V is what I should’ve had all along. However, it wasn’t available in 2012.

What I got, and still have, is the X-Pro1 with the 35/1.4 and 23/1.4 (50 & 35 equivalents). My attraction to the X-Pro1 was the external control layout and the hybrid viewfinder. What makes it less than total fun is the clutter of buttons on the back, which always get inadvertently pushed and causes something to pop up and distract me. It is very very annoying. Also, such a camera is not small enough for me to carry everywhere - it is too big, especially with the 23mm lens and its huge petal hood.

Over time, I realized that the X-T2 or later models offered more external controls, a better rear layout, and would’ve been the perfect interchangeable lens X system platform. The X100V is everything I’d want in a take-everywhere camera: minimal rear buttons, good controls on top, a good all-around lens, and a slim compact form factor.

Right now, the X100V costs more than I can justify, though the prices for X-T2’s are amazingly low.

Why don't you sell the X-Pro1 and lenses and make an offer on jsrockit's X100V?

I look at prints I make from files from my XT-1 and original X100 and wonder how much better they would they be if I bought new gear and invested the time in learning how to use it. Nothing else matters to me.

I still conclude cameras and lenses are not a real limiting factor in the quality of my work.

X-E4 isn't that interesting; a place marker, but looks of reasonable value compared to the competition. The MF stuff is a continuation of a theme. New zooms? Crickets...
Edit: I do like how the 27mm is the kit lens w/ the X-E4 and not some crap zoom.

i love xe4 - if i had money i would buy to replace my xe1 - simply because i hate grips and xe4 is a bit smaller. i just care about size of cameras and i love them with least buttons possible.

Would have loved an X-E4 with a X-T4 EVF, or the one from A7SIII :D.

I believe the hybrid OVF/EVF holds both back and Fuji strangely doesn't have rangefinder styled camera with a great EVF. Nobody actually does. Maybe GX10 can be it, but doubt it.

I know many are happy with the EVF from X-Pro3 but why can't we get EVFs that match the OVF quality of R-D1 or FE2? An EVF that you want to use, not one that you have to..

Would be nice if they'd have kept at least the thumb support on the X-E4.

Now you have to choose between the hot shoe and the add-on grip. A problem they intentionally created. Ugh.

Back