not much excitement about new fuji gear!?

not much excitement about new fuji gear!?

Following this thread but nothing here is making me want to get rid of the trusty 2012 era NEX-7 and Sony-Zeiss 24/1.8.
I feel I would be better off saving up for a M240 to use my CV lenses on digital native M-mount with FF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one M mount lens a Voigtlander 35mm f/1.4 and I used it to
try the X-pro2 I have while the pictures came out sharp it's a bit
slow of a process to get there, but I think still life and portrait work
it good.

How about this -- "ZEISS Touit® 1.8/32 offers the same angle of view as the human eye. However, optimised for use with APS-C format sensors," This seems like an interesting lens. Any experience with these Zeiss lenses on Fuji X?
Steve H. - NYC

...And a home run optical viewfinder would include exposure information in the display, just have so many cameras have done in the past. When testing with the X100F, I like that exposure information is in there, though I notice how it's not as obvious as the exposure readouts in many older cameras. RE: getting an OVF on an otherwise decent digital body like my GR2, I miss having exposure data on the side when I use an add on OVF that only shows me framelines...

I'm shooting with a couple of aging X-Pro1s and used to have an X100S. I can't remember the last time I used the exposure meter. Instead I've set the custom overlay to have the histogram and I set my JPEGs to one of the monochrome profiles at -2 brightness so that I can more accurately ETTR. Of course, I love having the shutter speed, aperture and ISO and a distance scale.

The Fujis can be set-up to have a ton of information in the VF or nothing at all...and everything in-between.

The X-Pro cameras, and likely the X-100 series as well, actually have *four* viewing modes.

For the OVF, you can configure it however you wish - I call that the Custom OVF. But you can also press DISP BACK and get what I call the Default OVF. It has minimal information and you can neither add nor remove items in that display. This is the view I normally use, but then I can toggle with DISP BACK to get my Custom OVF in which I have a few more things like the distance scale, battery level, etc.

Likewise, switching to the EVF, my Custom EVF has almost everything in it: histogram, distance, grid lines, a bunch of stuff. Yet, I can press DISP BACK and get what I call the Default EVF, which has minimal information that can’t be added to or removed.

Normally I use the Default or Custom OVF for anything 10 feet or beyond, because I really really really dislike feeling I need to use the distracting “corrected AF frame”. So, for closer subjects, I’ll use the Default or Custom EVF to see exactly where I’m focusing.

How about this -- "ZEISS Touit® 1.8/32 offers the same angle of view as the human eye. However, optimised for use with APS-C format sensors," This seems like an interesting lens. Any experience with these Zeiss lenses on Fuji X?
Steve H. - NYC

Steve, I have the Zeiss 32/1.8 and it's a fine lens. It's not "Zeiss-ish" in look, however. That is, it doesn't have the snappy contrast of other Zeiss lenses I've used. But it is sharp, puts out good tonality and the bokeh is good except for wide open. It's also a bit more expensive than the Fuji 35/1.4 so I can see why it's not more popular than it is. The difference in focal lengths is minimal in actual use.

Mackigator, as for the EVF/OVF hybrid, the Fujis are the only games in town. If you don't like EVFs (and I don't either) the only choice is the X100 series or the X-Pro series. Nobody else gives you the choice without resorting to an add-on finder.

The X-Pro cameras, and likely the X-100 series as well, actually have *four* viewing modes.

For the OVF, you can configure it however you wish - I call that the Custom OVF. But you can also press DISP BACK and get what I call the Default OVF. It has minimal information and you can neither add nor remove items in that display. This is the view I normally use, but then I can toggle with DISP BACK to get my Custom OVF in which I have a few more things like the distance scale, battery level, etc.

Likewise, switching to the EVF, my Custom EVF has almost everything in it: histogram, distance, grid lines, a bunch of stuff. Yet, I can press DISP BACK and get what I call the Default EVF, which has minimal information that can’t be added ....

I’m not talking about toggling through view modes using the display button. I’m talking about truly customizing your viewfinders which has been on all Fuji cameras. I know because I’ve used most of them since 2011 (I had one of the first X100 cameras in the USA) and I hate a lot of information in my VFs. In the “Display Custom Settings” menu you can certainly set up both the OVF and EVF in numerous configurations from completely minimal to over the top. You can even remove the frame lines from the OVF if you wish for a completely empty view. Customization works for the LCD as well... since whatever you choose to remove from the EVF is removed from the LCD as well. This information wasn’t for Fuji users, but for those considering a Fuji.

@jsrockit I appreciate the pointers and all the good feedback. Customizing the info in the OVF / EVF display helps make it even more useful.

I’m not talking about toggling through view modes using the display button. I’m talking about truly customizing your viewfinders which has been on all Fuji cameras. ... This information wasn’t for Fuji users, but for those considering a Fuji.

I realize this was about customizing the OVF/EVF to one’s personal preferences. But it was my intent as well to point out something that new or even existing users may not realize.

Which is: even after you’ve customized the OVF and EVF to your heart’s content, to show as little or as much info that you want, you can still switch to the default views. I use this 4-views feature to give me a variety of choices ranging from totally simple and uncluttered (my preference), to one having more info.

I realize this was about customizing the OVF/EVF to one’s personal preferences. But it was my intent as well to point out something that new or even existing users may not realize.

Which is: even after you’ve customized the OVF and EVF to your heart’s content, to show as little or as much info that you want, you can still switch to the default views. I use this 4-views feature to give me a variety of choices ranging from totally simple and uncluttered (my preference), to one having more info.

Ah ok, I think non users (and I) are clearer now. :)

I'm actually excited about the X-E4. Mine should arrive Monday with the 27mm lens, which I've owned before in the previous incarnation and am reasonably happy with. I also have a 23/1.4 and a 56/1.2, for which the X-E4 will serve as a rear lens cap for! Maybe my excitement will be damped when it's in-hand, maybe it won't be.

Why am I excited? It took a while with my X-T20 but I finally started to dig Fuji's film simulations. I'm looking forward to the newest imaging processing and chip in the X-E4.

I don't like fully-artiulated screens because they fully articulate EXCEPT for the way I want them to the most, straight out from the bottom so I can use it as a waist-level finder. That ticks the TLR viewing angle box for me.

I'm wary of IBIS. I hate when it makes a hum or when the camera rattles when it's not on...how will that wear on a 100 miles gravel bike ride? (Huh...Rattle and Hum.)

I briefly owned a GX9 recently, thinking I might get back into M4/3. I overall liked the camera, but there was that rattle and then it quickly exhibited a fault in the lens mount. So it went back and I got kind of turned off. I was excited for L. Monocrome D and the organic film simulation, but even on fine the grain was huge...I like Fuji's sim better. I wish the GX9 felt better built but I think it was just the fault that spooked me, and maybe the feeling that Panasonic is going to dump the whole devolving GX line if not all of m4/3.

I don't love everything about Fuji, so I've been on the fence for a while. I tried an X-H1--that camera is amazing and a screaming bargain right now, but it's DSLR EVF placement bothered me and the size of it, though very comfortable, wasn't great for cycling.

I don't like the ergos on the X-T20...it's a weird looking and feeling camera. The controls are cramped. I hate the little thumb portrusion and there is literally a 1.5cm patch where my thumb can go without activating something. I look at the X-E4, which has roughly the same dimensions, and I see lot of space for my thumb.

I like idea of the pared-down X-E4 controls. How many times has someone uttered on this forum that they wanted a digital with a shutter speed dial, shutter button and aperture ring? The X-E4 is heading in that direction.

The AF/MF selector that people are lamenting only annoyed me be getting bumped to MF when I didn't want it to. On the X-E4 I can set focus to MF/AF and back-button focus, or just leave it on AF...my eyes aren't usually better than the camera. It has X-T4's focus system, which should be plenty powerful and smart. Shutter speed dial, Exposure comp, command dial up front for...ISO I guess. We'll see. But that's all the controls I think I'll need. Every omitted button and dial is one less to fail. The EVF has no moving parts, unlike an OVF, and that suggests durability to me. I had the original X100 and kind of liked the OVF, but I've also owned enough rangefinders to know they are not the non plus ultra of durability.

Lack of weathersealing...I'm not thrilled but I've owned many cameras with and without it, and I'm not terribly worried. I'd keep any camera well-covered in a downpour and have survived lots of drizzle without any problem. And again, every ommitted button and dial is one less point of ingress.

We'll see. I might hate the bloody thing! But I'm excited about it. I think the control layout and population seems sensibly scaled to the camera size, and I think it's time to re-evaluate the every function has a button concept (which the Leica T upended in an interesting and quasi-successful way). These are in no way manual cameras. Every mechanical switch just creates a digital input, and a touch screen is a single replacement part verses dozens of dials and buttons.

I wish it were a bit cheaper...for a bit more there's the X-S10 with IBIS and fully-articulated screen, and while I specically don't want those things, the value proposition is a little off here.

But I live in a travel trailer so I'm well used to paying a bit more for less and smaller. I hope I love the thing. I've been feeling creatively blah for a while and I want a camera that asks to be picked up and used.

I got the camera, and I'm digging it so far. The controls don't present any problems. For the few things that don't have or warrant a physical button, I can use the custom Q menu.

Coming from the X-T20, I like the rangefinder layout with the EVF on the side, and I'm enjoying the new imaging chip/processor and the extra film simulations. Classic Negative is pretty fun.

It's the second time I've had the 27mm lens. I like it. I wish it were an f2, but that's my only complaint. The aperture ring of the new one is sweet. The 40mm focal length feels right at home for me, having spent a lot of years shooting an Olympus 35LC (with the same 42/1.7 lens as the more popular 35SP).

If Fuji (or Sigma, which mighst start making XF lenses this year) comes out with a fast and sharp 27/28mm lens, that would likely become my most used lens.

Right now I've got the 27, the 23/1.4 and the 56/1.2. They're both a little big on the X-E4, but not horribly so.

Hard to find something exciting in cameras that are really similar each other and keep coming in the market. I Left the system a while ago because for jobs I had already nikon stuffs, cheaper to buy when they are done, especially to be found used...unbreakable bodies and good batteries. I think the best fuji is the x100 even if I would absolutely love any brand to make something like a simple point and shoot with a simple optical finder, like a Natura camera, just to be in Fuji's home. A X70 with and integrated small optical finder like in the old point and shoot days.

Getting interested on Olympus 4/3. Cameras suit my taste (small, old time slr design), lens looks great and I'm a really big fan to Olympus OM cameras. Not sure if you can say excited but definetly interested. Will see what happen once I finish a few unused equipment sales.

Don't count out Panasonic just because they're less retro. I used both for a while, and prefer Panasonic, the menus are better and they're just a bit less temperamental than Olympus.

I think the XE4/27 combination looks interesting, but is probably a bit too small. I like the clean look with minimal buttons on the back, but I suspect that's Fuji's design concept only for very small bodies. I suppose a half case would help/ So, I'm mildly interested in its ability to serve as a kind of modern digital/EVF version of a Minolta CLE.

But I'm tired of hearing YouTubers say the words "the ultimate street photography camera."

I have just bought the Ultimate Street Photography Camera! A 1960 Agfa Ambi Silette. It weighs so much it’ll double up as a door stop and come in handy as a weapon should someone think I am an easy target 🎯 sat in my wheelchair 🦼 one blow from me swinging that and they will run for the hills . Don in a really sunny Margate

Got a 27/2.8 II WR from an owner splitting his X-E4 kit. Wonderfully built, the aperture ring is quite snappy - a step above the early pancakes, namely the 18/2. The included metal hood and its dedicated push-on cap are nice touches. Only complain being the old motor, which can be a tad slower even with the latest gen bodies. I do wonder since they can manage WR with the 27's protruding barrel, why it was not the case with the X100V which needs an adapter and filter kit to be fully sealed.

Got a 27/2.8 II WR from an owner splitting his X-E4 kit. [...] Only complain being the old motor, which can be a tad slower even with the latest gen bodies.

Is the motor still as irritatingly noisy as the original one? I used the first 27/2.8 for video for a long time and any focusing - manual or otherwise - made on-camera audio basically unusable.

Back