not much excitement about new fuji gear!?

I'm kind of meh about the XE4. It doesn't offer me anything, really. I'd be more interested in going in the other direction, FF or MF sensor rather than small.

As for lenses, I like using the 27 lens I have and would like it better with an aperture ring, but I'm used to it and don't see the need to "upgrade".

Just bought an x-E2, and want to try out some Fuji gear. I almost got a GFX 50R, but was trying to decide between the GFX 50R and the Pentax Z. Now they have announced the X100S, which is a significant buy. Given how much John likes the Fuji's I want to start using an older, smaller one first, and then try and decide between the 50R and the X100S. I already bought a number of adapters for the GFX lens mount. I like John's idea about the 35mm lens, which was my go to lens on the Leica M8
Steve -- NYC

I wish the X-4 had a fully articulating screen so I could keep it shut most of time.

I have preordered the 27/2.8 II and I’m very excited.

I could be tempted by the updated 27mm with a f stop ring but have just blown all my funds on a 500cm with wlf, film back and 80/2.8

As a Fuji user, I like what Fuji's doing very different stuff from the main
stream that's out there, and you wonder while SLR sales are going down.

Just bought an x-E2, and want to try out some Fuji gear. I almost got a GFX 50R, but was trying to decide between the GFX 50R and the Pentax Z. Now they have announced the X100S, which is a significant buy. Given how much John likes the Fuji's I want to start using an older, smaller one first, and then try and decide between the 50R and the X100S. I already bought a number of adapters for the GFX lens mount. I like John's idea about the 35mm lens, which was my go to lens on the Leica M8
Steve -- NYC

Steve glad to hear your getting into Fuji, they do make nice stuff.

Steve glad to hear your getting into Fuji, they do make nice stuff.

I should have realized sooner, but I think that the best way for me to get accurate focus on a digital is to have a live view off of the sensor. So I found with the Pentax K-1 I always needed to go to the rear screen and use live view. With the Pentax 645 D I was always shooting, zooming in on the rear screen to check the focus and then adjusting. If I got the Pentax Z, I would still be using the rear screen and live view to nail the focus. With the Hasselblad CFV II 50C digital back and the 907X camera body, I would still be using the optical view finder for focusing with the V lenses, and no shutter in the 907x body means that you can't use lens adapters. That is sort of how I got to the Fuji solution.
Steve - NYC

I should have realized sooner, but I think that the best way for me to get accurate focus on a digital is to have a live view off of the sensor. ...

On the XE2, how do you like the digital split image and focus-peaking while using the electronic viewfinder? At normal magnifications on my X-Pro1, focus peaking isn’t that noticeable, but after switching to 10x it’s easy to focus.

On the XE2, how do you like the digital split image and focus-peaking while using the electronic viewfinder? At normal magnifications on my X-Pro1, focus peaking isn’t that noticeable, but after switching to 10x it’s easy to focus.

I will know more after it arrives later this week. Right now I am trying to pick experienced brains on the best way to use the XE2. Also, what about third party lenses like Leica M, Nikkor F, with adapters/
Steve - NYC

Steve -- NYC

Hi Steve...good to see you here and it's about time you try a Fuji! I'm afraid an older body like the X-E2 might turn you off of Fuji medium format. Keep in mind that this is a lower end Fuji. It's still good but it won't have the premium build you may be used to and is not indicative of the build quality in the GFX. However, if you keep this in mind, you may be able to imagine what the higher end bodies are like. The 35mm on a Fuji is a 52.5mm lens by the way... a little longer than what a 35mm is on a M8.

Like you, I am truly intrigued by the GFX-50R. I want to do some different types of photography and this is my solution. It seems like a perfect place to go if you like RF shaped cameras and want that bigger sensor. I know you have many lenses that you have to think about using this camera with, so you are in a different situations than me.

Hi Steve...good to see you here and it's about time you try a Fuji! I'm afraid an older body like the X-E2 might turn you off of Fuji medium format. Keep in mind that this is a lower end Fuji. It's still good but it won't have the premium build you may be used to and is not indicative of the build quality in the GFX. However, if you keep this in mind, you may be able to imagine what the higher end bodies are like. The 35mm on a Fuji is a 52.5mm lens by the way... a little longer than what a 35mm is on a M8.

I wanted to get some experience on menus and a evf. I am currently using a Pentax 645D and a Pentax K-1 and the difference is huge, in terms of the handling, lenses, files, etc., so I am not expecting any where the near the same.

I have been doing a lot of "studio" type shooting with some Profoto lights of sculpture and art, that that would be my main use of the 50R, with maybe one Fuji lens and some older Hasselblad V lenses.

Most of what is on this site was shot with the Pentax 645D, https://live-lmh-art.pantheonsite.io/sculpture-gallery-view
Steve H- NYC

I think the lack of excitement comes from the fact that producing excellent digital cameras and lenses has been a solved problem for ages now. Now they keep coming with so-called upgrades that actually serve very little purpose. 2021 cameras will not help anyone make better pictures than 2020, 2019, 2018, etc... cameras.

I will know more after it arrives later this week. Right now I am trying to pick experienced brains on the best way to use the XE2. Also, what about third party lenses like Leica M, Nikkor F, with adapters/
Steve - NYC

I have one M mount lens a Voigtlander 35mm f/1.4 and I used it to
try the X-pro2 I have while the pictures came out sharp it's a bit
slow of a process to get there, but I think still life and portrait work
it good.

John,

Thanks -- That might be a good approach. I could then use some of the budget for lenses. Plus, it goes along with my approach of trying to stay one generation back on camera equipment, after spending too much trying to stay with the latest.
Steve H. - NYC

Steve, the original GFX-50s could be an option for you too if you want a studio camera.

https://fujifilm-x.com/global/products/cameras/gfx-50s/feature-body-device/

I would imagine they will start going down in price substantially soon.

I'm struggling with this as well, with wanting to like the new Fuji gear more than I do. I keep finding Fuji cameras that are not quite a fit even though it is obvious Fuji is building on at least the looks and controls of rangefinders. I'd love to read your advice. What am I missing?

What I'd love to have: A digital Minolta CLE for less than $2k. I'd like it to have some good modern lenses and take my M-mount glass with an adapter.

I just borrowed a Fuji X100F to play with the EVF / OVF and make my own assessment of that generation of Fuji image quality. I know the X100's are much loved, but I'm not hitting it off with the camera. Image quality seems a little better, but sometimes on par with, my Ricoh GR2 and Sony Nex-7; I was expecting better. The only bits in the X100f that stand out so far are the optical viewfinder mode with data overlay and the better autofocusing when compared to my other aging digital cameras.

Regarding ovf / evf: What I really like about rangefinders is how they let me see the whole scene clearly, including action occurring outside my frame lines, prior to making those split-second compositional decisions. In my mind, a poor EVF only gives me a lesser version of the tunnel vision I can get from any SLR. And a home run optical viewfinder would include exposure information in the display, just have so many cameras have done in the past. When testing with the X100F, I like that exposure information is in there, though I notice how it's not as obvious as the exposure readouts in many older cameras. RE: getting an OVF on an otherwise decent digital body like my GR2, I miss having exposure data on the side when I use an add on OVF that only shows me framelines.

I was hoping the Fuji XE-4 would fit the bill, but I see that it has only an EVF and a less generous one than the x100f at that.

So as not to take over this thread, feel free to message me if you could suggest a camera that I should take a closer look at. I'm trying to avoid larger cameras which would include anything the size of a current pro DSLR body. I have glanced at the Sony A7C, the smallest in the A7 line, as one possible direction.

I'm struggling with this as well, with wanting to like the new Fuji gear more than I do. I keep finding Fuji cameras that are not quite a fit even though it is obvious Fuji is building on at least the looks and controls of rangefinders. I'd love to read your advice. What am I missing?

I think you are expecting an optical rangefinder experience from a mirrorless rangefinder shaped camera.

What I'd love to have: A digital Minolta CLE for less than $2k. I'd like it to have some good modern lenses and take my M-mount glass with an adapter.

Yeah, you and many others on RFF. It's not happening. Most people settle for an older Leica digital like an M8, M9 or M240 or the ancient Epson.

I just borrowed a Fuji X100F to play with the EVF / OVF and make my own assessment of that generation of Fuji image quality. I know the X100's are much loved, but I'm not hitting it off with the camera. Image quality seems a little better, but sometimes on par with, my Ricoh GR2 and Sony Nex-7; I was expecting better.

May I ask why you expected a huge leap in IQ?

The only bits in the X100f that stand out so far are the optical viewfinder mode with data overlay and the better autofocusing when compared to my other aging digital cameras.

Well, yeah... that's a big part of the camera's appeal. It's the camera shape, the two viewfinders, the dedicated shutter speed dial and aperture ring, etc is why I gravitate to Fuji.

Regarding ovf / evf: What I really like about rangefinders is how they let me see the whole scene clearly, including action occurring outside my frame lines, prior to making those split-second compositional decisions.

The Fujifilm X-Pro3 certainly allows this... when I use a 35mm lens. The X100 series only has one lens, so it is optimized to fill a lot of the VF.

In my mind, a poor EVF only gives me a lesser version of the tunnel vision I can get from any SLR.

Sure, but with the added bonus of being able to see if you are over or underexposing. I actually love EVFs now more than any other VF.

And a home run optical viewfinder would include exposure information in the display, just have so many cameras have done in the past. When testing with the X100F, I like that exposure information is in there, though I notice how it's not as obvious as the exposure readouts in many older cameras. RE: getting an OVF on an otherwise decent digital body like my GR2, I miss having exposure data on the side when I use an add on OVF that only shows me framelines.

The Fujis can be set-up to have a ton of information in the VF or nothing at all...and everything in-between.

I was hoping the Fuji XE-4 would fit the bill, but I see that it has only an EVF and a less generous one than the x100f at that.

It's a lower end camera that never had and never will have a built in OVF.

So as not to take over this thread, feel free to message me if you could suggest a camera that I should take a closer look at. I'm trying to avoid larger cameras which would include anything the size of a current pro DSLR body. I have glanced at the Sony A7C, the smallest in the A7 line, as one possible direction.

I think you'll find the Sony to be even worse than most Fujis...

Ironically, the XE-4 kitted with the 27mm is as close to the CL/CLE in a digital package as there is. Even closer than Leica's attempt.

Back