Original M Monochrom Still a Good Buy?

Read your quote. I find this mucho funny. Now double funny. I guess you don't read what you write.

Kinda funny that someone on this Leicacentric Rangefinder forum might not consider an analog M or be interested in film. Do you really need to state the obvious.

Then again: do you think that Monochrom owners do not have film "M" bodies? Do you think others here do not have mucho experience shooting film?

Tongue in cheek: it comes across that way.

Cal

Cal, when I make a post on RFF, it's not directly addressed to you. There are many folks here on RFF. Some have film Ms, some have digital Ms, some have both. Some digital shooters may be considering film, some film shooters may be considering digital. Some may be enjoying the merits of both which you apparently are. My thoughts are applicable to any of these users. RFF isn't your personal inbox. Now if you'd like to have a conversation about something interesting, like how to evaluate the merits of a B&W image (which I was doing with airfrog), that's a conversation worth having.

Cal, when I make a post on RFF, it's not directly addressed to you. There are many folks here on RFF. Some have film Ms, some have digital Ms, some have both. Some digital shooters may be considering film, some film shooters may be considering digital. Some may be enjoying the merits of both which you apparently are. My thoughts are applicable to any of these users. RFF isn't your personal inbox. Now if you'd like to have a conversation about something interesting, like how to evaluate the merits of a B&W image (which I was doing with airfrog), that's a conversation worth having.

You are correct: RFF is a public forum and not my personal inbox. My apologies to the original poster, but when something kinda off base compels me to respond realize that this is a public forum.

Anyways although off topic there is some entertainment value going on. I am sure many will read this thread and gain some amusement. I am not the only person ranting here. I hold up the mirror, and I have read about buying a M4 or two and shooting film in other posts by you in other threads.

Why should I allow for a one sided rant? Is it me that is displaying an agenda?

Cal

You are correct: RFF is a public forum and not my personal inbox. My apologies to the original poster, but when something kinda off base compels me to respond realize that this is a public forum.

Anyways although off topic there is some entertainment value going on. I am sure many will read this thread and gain some amusement. I am not the only person ranting here. I hold up the mirror, and I have read about buying a M4 or two and shooting film in other posts by you in other threads.

Why should I allow for a one sided rant? Is it me that is displaying an agenda?

Cal

If by, "agenda" you mean "opinions". Then yes, I am guilty of having opinions. Lock me away for expressing them if you must.

If you don't agree with what I'm saying you could A. Make arguments related to my actual points. or B. Ignore them and get on with your own photography. You so far have only pointed out that you shoot film and digital and that therefore is some kind of blanket statement about anything I could ever say. Based on your logic I could say you have an "agenda" about Pizeogrpahy. But I don't, because you're just talking about what you're learning about Pizeography. Which is what I'm doing here about shooting black and white images with rangefinder cameras.

If by, "agenda" you mean "opinions". Then yes, I am guilty of having opinions. Lock me away for expressing them if you must.

If you don't agree with what I'm saying you could A. Make arguments related to my actual points. or B. Ignore them and get on with your own photography. You so far have only pointed out that you shoot film and digital and that therefore is some kind of blanket statement about anything I could ever say. Based on your logic I could say you have an "agenda" about Pizeogrpahy. But I don't, because you're just talking about what you're learning about Pizeography. Which is what I'm doing here about shooting black and white images with rangefinder cameras.

In one of your posts in a thread you called Piezography "Snakeoil." Was that not a blanket statement when you gave no explaination of your opinion?

I don't mind you or other people having or expressing their opinion, but I object in how you impose your opinion. To me this is wrong. It amazes me that you can't regulate yourself.

Anyways whenever I make a point by holding up a mirror, by mirroring your behavior, you don't like it. LOL. I don't think you realize that you come across hostile and forceful, but that is not what I'm about.

Cal

In one of your posts in a thread you called Piezography "Snakeoil." Was that not a blanket statement when you gave no explaination of your opinion?

I don't mind you or other people having or expressing their opinion, but I object in how you impose your opinion. To me this is wrong. It amazes me that you can't regulate yourself.

Anyways whenever I make a point by holding up a mirror, by mirroring your behavior, you don't like it. LOL. I don't think you realize that you come across hostile and forceful, but that is not what I'm about.

Cal

Pizeography is snakeoil. I stand by that opinion. I can't make you enjoy that opinion that I hold, but it also doesn't invalidate your own opinion. Imposing my opinions would be buying RFF and deleting all the threads about the MM. This is fundamentally different from expressing my opinions.

The fact is Cal, you have yet to make an actual point. What mirror are you holding up? You've made it about you, which it's not.

Pizeography is snakeoil. I stand by that opinion. I can't make you enjoy that opinion that I hold, but it also doesn't invalidate your own opinion. Imposing my opinions would be buying RFF and deleting all the threads about the MM. This is fundamentally different from expressing my opinions.

The fact is Cal, you have yet to make an actual point. What mirror are you holding up? You've made it about you, which it's not.

It makes no sense to reason with you.

The point is right above in your quote: you make a blanket statements, that are not useful, helpful or thoughtful. Like I said you don't read what you write.

Anyways you have no credibility with me, and I only read what you write for entertainment value. LOL. I'm past the point of taking you seriously. LOL. Really amazing.

Cal

I am no mod and I try my best to stay away from any arguments, but could you two please move the conversation to PM if you guys wanna continue?

It makes no sense to reason with you.

The point is right above in your quote: you make a blanket statements, that are not useful, helpful or thoughtful. Like I said you don't read what you write.

Anyways you have no credibility with me, and I only read what you write for entertainment value. LOL. I'm past the point of taking you seriously. LOL. Really amazing.

Cal

Sounds good to me. *shrug* Keep on keep'n on.

Friday I got my Monochrom back from Leica. I was told 8-10 weeks, but it actually was 12 weeks turnaround. In my case Leica sent me a prepaid shipping label to send it to them, and I was not charged for any return shipping. The cost to me for this repair (sensor replacement) was zero.

The new covering looks a bit odd on my well used camera because there is silvering along the edges of my top plate, and my old covering was worn smooth is some places that matched well the accumulated wear. My MM got used severely. The only issue was the small amount of sensor corrosion that only was in the sky of some images, so other than this issue I experienced no problems over 4 years of heavy use.

Since September of last year I mostly have been shooting my SL, but there is some charm and elegance in my MM because it is now an old and retro digital camera that is very basic and simple.

Had to set up the clipping indicators. Seems like Leica updated my firmware. Something I never did. Purchased over 4 years ago for $8K, I figure if I get another 4 years of trouble free service that the camera at that time would be a free camera, and I can still see me still shooting it a decade from now.

Cal

Friday I got my Monochrom back from Leica. I was told 8-10 weeks, but it actually was 12 weeks turnaround. In my case Leica sent me a prepaid shipping label to send it to them, and I was not charged for any return shipping. The cost to me for this repair (sensor replacement) was zero.

The new covering looks a bit odd on my well used camera because there is silvering along the edges of my top plate, and my old covering was worn smooth is some places that matched well the accumulated wear. My MM got used severely. The only issue was the small amount of sensor corrosion that only was in the sky of some images, so other than this issue I experienced no problems over 4 years of heavy use.

Since September of last year I mostly have been shooting my SL, but there is some charm and elegance in my MM because it is now an old and retro digital camera that is very basic and simple.

Had to set up the clipping indicators. Seems like Leica updated my firmware. Something I never did. Purchased over 4 years ago for $8K, I figure if I get another 4 years of trouble free service that the camera at that time would be a free camera, and I can still see me still shooting it a decade from now.

Cal

Good news Cal...

My original MM is still my favorite digital camera period.

Good news Cal...

My original MM is still my favorite digital camera period.

Allen,

After owning my SL for a few months it seems that shooting my MM is like coming home. With only the basics there seems to be an organic simplicity that is very satisfying. I know the M-246 is much more advanced in almost every way, but there is something to be said about the elegance of the original Monochrom.

BTW the CCD sensor makes wonderful files that has the mids of larger formats.

I already print kinda big and have outstanding IQ, so do I really need more dynamic range, higher ISO, or even more shadow detail?

Anyways always a fun camera. I can easily see the fun continuing a decade from now. Buying my MM over 4 years ago was some of the best money I ever spent.

Cal

Allen,

After owning my SL for a few months it seems that shooting my MM is like coming home. With only the basics there seems to be an organic simplicity that is very satisfying. I know the M-246 is much more advanced in almost every way, but there is something to be said about the elegance of the original Monochrom.

BTW the CCD sensor makes wonderful files that has the mids of larger formats.

I already print kinda big and have outstanding IQ, so do I really need more dynamic range, higher ISO, or even more shadow detail?

Anyways always a fun camera. I can easily see the fun continuing a decade from now. Buying my MM over 4 years ago was some of the best money I ever spent.

Cal

I agree with you. I love my original MM and I came to Leica for the stuff many of it's models don't have. Plus the files from the original MM are just what you describe. My M 262 and my M-E I use for my color work.

My MM is about 4 1/2 years old also and I did send it in last year and they said at that time the sensor did not need replacing. I will send it when I see problems but until then I am going to use it as often as I can and if there is an issue i will send it back. I see myself shooting with this camera until it dies and I can no longer get it repaired.

Glad to see that you have it back in your hands....

I agree with you. I love my original MM and I came to Leica for the stuff many of it's models don't have. Plus the files from the original MM are just what you describe. My M 262 and my M-E I use for my color work.

My MM is about 4 1/2 years old also and I did send it in last year and they said at that time the sensor did not need replacing. I will send it when I see problems but until then I am going to use it as often as I can and if there is an issue i will send it back. I see myself shooting with this camera until it dies and I can no longer get it repaired.

Glad to see that you have it back in your hands....

Allen,

I know you heavily use your Monochrom also. Know that I used the waiting list to avoid waiting 6 months like others I know for the long turn around.

For me my old and primitive MM is the digital camera that is most like shooting a film camera. I get the same simple pleasure.

I love my SL, but being with out my MM has stirred some bad jonesing for a huge film binge.

On my receipt I learned it took 4 hours to replace the sensor and adjust the electronics. Mapping?

I only had a few spots of corrosion. My Visible dust cleaning system did nothing to get rid of these spots that occured in my sky on only some shots.

Cal

This thread needs to be buried... it's become a film vs. digital zombie. While there are a few of us out there who make images with film, digital or both, there are those who for the life of them cannot make a decent with either. Those people find threads like this and argue the stupidest points and suck the conversation dry.

The OP has purchased a Monochrom and moved on, and so should this thread.

This thread needs to be buried... it's become a film vs. digital zombie. While there are a few of us out there who make images with film, digital or both, there are those who for the life of them cannot make a decent with either. Those people find threads like this and argue the stupidest points and suck the conversation dry.

The OP has purchased a Monochrom and moved on, and so should this thread.

I'm cool with getting rid of all the negativity in this thread. Never thought I would have to come up with terms like "Camera Facists" or "Camera Supremacists" to describe posters in RFF.

I thought when we registered as members we pledged to be kind and respectful. Oh-well I say. The problem I see is that it is not only in this thread, so deleting this post only curbs part of the problem.

Cal

I'm cool with getting rid of all the negativity in this thread. Never thought I would have to come up with terms like "Camera Facists" or "Camera Supremacists" to describe posters in RFF.

I thought when we registered as members we pledged to be kind and respectful. Oh-well I say. The problem I see is that it is not only in this thread, so deleting this post only curbs part of the problem.

Cal

I agree Cal. Comes with the territory I suppose. I'd be cool if one of the prerequisites for the forum was for everyone to meet once a year... differences could finally be settled after a few beers out in the back alley. Ha ha.

Forums are like dark petri dishes, but putting a face to face with people seems to sterilize things a bit.

I never used the ignore list before this year, but doing so has improved my RFF experience.

Among the few things that will land one there is injecting film-is-superior dogmatism where that issue is not the topic. Pretty sick of that one.

John

Back