Original M Monochrom Still a Good Buy?

I am sitting at JFK after a nice if short visit here. Waiting for my flight, I settled in and picked this thread up where it began 3 days ago, enjoying the back and forth, nice to see the enthusiasm for the Monochrom M9M that we know and love. I will leave it at that and add a pic just for mood change.

Passing by the Silver Towers here, I never realized or must have forgotten the Bust of Silvette by Picasso. So we have Pei and Picasso together in this lovely plaza at NYU. This was what I felt I could capture with the 28mm that was mounted on my camera.

165173989.h3x6G4ia.PeitoPicasso.jpg

I know, it really should be posted elsewhere......

There is a clarity or crispness to the files from a ccd sensor. I have an M9 and every time I see a Mono for sale I'm sorely tempted. Silly waste of money but then so much of what I have is.

I am sitting at JFK after a nice if short visit here. Waiting for my flight, I settled in and picked this thread up where it began 3 days ago, enjoying the back and forth, nice to see the enthusiasm for the Monochrom M9M that we know and love. I will leave it at that and add a pic just for mood change.

Passing by the Silver Towers here, I never realized or must have forgotten the Bust of Silvette by Picasso. So we have Pei and Picasso together in this lovely plaza at NYU. This was what I felt I could capture with the 28mm that was mounted on my camera.

165173989.h3x6G4ia.PeitoPicasso.jpg

I know, it really should be posted elsewhere......

Really nice clouds. At this point, even though the MM is not that old, it is a retro camera. The MM most emulates the shooting film experience for me even though it is a digital camera.

The M246 is way more advanced.

Cal

Thanks Cal, and on a separate note, I should have stumbled on this thread and you with your handle sooner so I good get your recommendation on your favorite place for Calzone! Actually I stayed out on the Island and there is a place get pie that is really good.....just a neighborhood place :)

Darthfeeble, we should be egging you on to get that MM for no other reason than to affirm the existence of this over-hashed thread!

Thanks Cal, and on a separate note, I should have stumbled on this thread and you with your handle sooner so I good get your recommendation on your favorite place for Calzone! Actually I stayed out on the Island and there is a place get pie that is really good.....just a neighborhood place :)

Darthfeeble, we should be egging you on to get that MM for no other reason than to affirm the existence of this over-hashed thread!

D,

PM me the next time you get to NYC. The world is not that big.

Funny thing is that some people when they meet me were expecting a tough guy from Brooklyn. They were't expecting a tall skinny Asian.

Back on topic: I do believe the original MM will be revered one day for its retro style, its simplicity, and all the warts and limitations will be looked upon as being cool. Even a decade from now I can see that the files will still be looked upon as being great and kinda special.

Also it remains a fun camera.

Cal

Cal, I couldn't agree more.

If anyone is on the fence about picking this camera up, if you have the $$$ I would highly recommend it.

Allen,

You and I know that the awful LCD screen is really only used to view the histogram and clipping indicators to check exposure, so other than that who cares about resolution. Nothing like a 27 inch EIZO if you want to check resolution, except perhaps a 30 inch NEC calibrated monitor.

The Monochrom has the badge of honor as being the most demanding digital camera to shoot. It certainly made me better at exposure because it is the most unforgiving if you overexpose. The highlights are gone forever and are not recoverable like in a color camera. Also the M-246 with it's higher dynamic range and CMOS sensor certainly is more forgiving camera to shoot.

But if you really want to learn how to nail exposure the original MM with its unforgiving nature is the best tool to learn how to really nail exposure. The nice thing is the ten-zone histogram along with the clipping indicators is all you need to become a better shooter. The MM has made me a better film shooter.

I have the right skin tone for using the back of my hand as a "Grey Card." When you nail exposure shooting as far to the right as possible without blowing the highlights one is well rewarded.

No frills and retro for me is all I need.

Cal

Cal, I actually used to use my palm and open up a stop. Palm being about zone VI.

Yes I use an LCD the same way I would a polaroid. A lot of time I don't even check it. The M-D always appealed to me and if they would have made an M-D monochrome I might have opened the wallet. But I like you just love my original MM. When you shoot with it enough you learn how to not let the highlight blow out. If it's a sunny day I meter the shadow side of the street and the sunny side and remember that and adjust accordingly.

I actually got good with exposure first with learning the zone system decades ago and from shooting a lot of transparency film. They to are not forgiving especially concerning the shoulder of the film curve. If the info isn't there the film is clear.

I actually got good with exposure first with learning the zone system decades ago and from shooting a lot of transparency film. They to are not forgiving especially concerning the shoulder of the film curve. If the info isn't there the film is clear.

Allen,

You can't print what's not there.

I never had the money to afford color. By default I became a B&W shooter due to economics, and of course I got good at my own processing.

I totally understand how slides require a level of perfection. I just never had the opportunity like you.

Cal

D,

PM me the next time you get to NYC. The world is not that big.

Funny thing is that some people when they meet me were expecting a tough guy from Brooklyn. They were't expecting a tall skinny Asian.

Back on topic: I do believe the original MM will be revered one day for its retro style, its simplicity, and all the warts and limitations will be looked upon as being cool. Even a decade from now I can see that the files will still be looked upon as being great and kinda special.

Also it remains a fun camera.

Cal

Cal, no the world is not that big. In the 70s for a short time I pushed a hack Manhattan. One time, pulling my checker up in front of the Garden, as my fare jumped out a lady approached to get in. It was my ex girl friend's mom!

I agree the MM is special and of course the points regarding exposure, the worthless LCD and over-exposure. I traded my M9 away when traveling I stumbled on the MM and both the deal and timing felt just right. In addition to a camera, I knew I was going to grow with this one.

David

Cal, no the world is not that big. In the 70s for a short time I pushed a hack Manhattan. One time, pulling my checker up in front of the Garden, as my fare jumped out a lady approached to get in. It was my ex girl friend's mom!

I agree the MM is special and of course the points regarding exposure, the worthless LCD and over-exposure. I traded my M9 away when traveling I stumbled on the MM and both the deal and timing felt just right. In addition to a camera, I knew I was going to grow with this one.

David

David,

Back in the late 70's I drove a hack for a summer. Really taught me how to be an aggressive driver. LOL. I did nights and weekends for the extra danger. Not many Asian cab drivers back then. LOL.

Anyways I was able to break up two robbery attempts without getting robbed over that one summer I hacked. In the late 70's being a hack was considered more dangerous than being a cop or fireman.

When you make it back to NYC, bring your Monochrom. I am lucky to live in a shooter's paradise.

Interesting to note that my other digital camera is the SL and I just got my backordered 50 Lux-SL. In comparing the primitive and minimalist to the very advanced I know both ends of the spectrum, and because of the SL I really appreciate the MM even more.

Cal

Cal,

Did you drive out of Astoria back then? I used to pick mine up right by the bridge entrance on 23rd. They wouldn't supply us a spare as a way of restricting us part-timers to the boroughs; if we got a call to Saratoga, we were to give the call to an owner/driver.....fun times :)

I will try and connect next time. Yes, NY is a fun place to shoot. I know the SL is a great camera but I found the size an issue, and the M design does what I need it to.

Ko.Fe.

In my case I say Asian because I ethnically am Chinese and specifically Cantonese. The Cantonese are kinda distinguished from Chinese in the same manner that New Yorkers are distinguished from Americans. Interesting to note that in Canton due to its geography (fortress like ring of mountains) was considered ungovernable for almost 1000 years while the rest of China was unified. Feudilism existed for a very long time (about 900 years), and when China decided to try and limit western influence to Canton, it only worsened matters.

I kinda appreciate the distinction of India as a subcontinent with its own culture, influences, and differences. It is mighty big, varied, and vast.

Also the Southeast part of Asia has its own distinctions...

You bring up a good point about how geography is important. BTW New York and Canton have a very similar geography and have military importance. Also know that the Cantonese are a bit like New Yorkers who are known to be rude and aggressive. LOL.

BTW the experience of being a NYC cab driver really helped develope and process aggression that I think I have a genetic predisposition. I think as being Cantonese that we were kinda breed for fighting. It is deeply seated in our history.

Interesting to note that the cowboy name "Calvin" is not popular. LOL.

As you can see, part of being Cantonese is going off topic, my apologies... but to me the Monochrom is a great camera warts and all.

Cal

Cal,

Did you drive out of Astoria back then? I used to pick mine up right by the bridge entrance on 23rd. They wouldn't supply us a spare as a way of restricting us part-timers to the boroughs; if we got a call to Saratoga, we were to give the call to an owner/driver.....fun times :)

I will try and connect next time. Yes, NY is a fun place to shoot. I know the SL is a great camera but I found the size an issue, and the M design does what I need it to.

David,

My garage was in Brooklyn off of Ocean Avenue. Pretty much hacking was a learning experience, and I learned a lot about myself.

I had the front ends collapse on a few cabs where any bump caused the tires to rub against the wheel wells on the old big Dodges. When I called the garage I was directed to try and drive the disabled cab back into Brooklyn. Of course this was always at night. As you know the general attitude in NYC was "I don't care, and oh-well," at the time.

Anyways I learned offensive driving and was and still am a kinda crazy driver. I like to think that way back when I started the stereotype of the crazy Asian driver single handedly way back when. LOL.

It has been said that I kinda drive like a fighter pilot. LOL.

Back on topic: the Monochrom is truely a great camera.

Cal

Cal ,

I never quite mastered exposure with my 1st generation Monochrom (my fault certainly) . I had so many photos ruined by blown highlights that I stopped using it altogether and went back to film exclusively. I shot with it for a year and towards the end I was exposing everything arbitrarily at -2 or -3 compensation -- with unsatisfactory results. I never liked the highlights curve , even when in range. I found it to be an amazing camera for both low-contrast and low-light scenes however.

Philippe

Cal ,

I never quite mastered exposure with my 1st generation Monochrom (my fault certainly) . I had so many photos ruined by blown highlights that I stopped using it altogether and went back to film exclusively. I shot with it for a year and towards the end I was exposing everything arbitrarily at -2 or -3 compensation -- with unsatisfactory results. I never liked the highlights curve , even when in range. I found it to be an amazing camera for both low-contrast and low-light scenes however.

Philippe

Philippe,

I can see having difficulties. Like I stated it is the most difficult digital camera, and is totally unforgiving. Know that if you want you can borrow it to use when we go to Philly. I have described elsewhere how I use Heliopan "Digital" filters to curb or eliminate the clipping.

I know you are mostly a 50 man. All you need is a SD card. Although I never have needed more than two batteries some how I have three, (John C. gifted me one from a M9).

Pretty much the histogram and the clipping indicators will make it easy to nail exposure. Also I grey card using the back of my hand. For you having lighter skin all you need is to know the offset. I use a 2X yellow and this minimizes post because I get my contrast at image capture.

Let me know if you are interested.

Cal

Hey Cal,

Just saw your last response re -driving: I know what you mean also about the front-ends of taxis. I recall with both Checkers and then Dodges, occasionally getting a car where I'd have to hold the wheel in place to keep the poorly or unaligned vehicle in a straight line- fun on 59th street bridge where back then, it was easy to jump to oncoming lane! Also the late seventies Dodges had carburetors that coughed and bucked before accelerating at a light :( If we meet up with Leicas, we'll both be on foot for sure! That way, neither of us will need to endure the others offensive driving! :D Mine has become tempered when I drive in normal places but nice to have it when in NYC or Europe.... David

Hey Cal,

Just saw your last response re -driving: I know what you mean also about the front-ends of taxis. I recall with both Checkers and then Dodges, occasionally getting a car where I'd have to hold the wheel in place to keep the poorly or unaligned vehicle in a straight line- fun on 59th street bridge where back then, it was easy to jump to oncoming lane! Also the late seventies Dodges had carburetors that coughed and bucked before accelerating at a light :( If we meet up with Leicas, we'll both be on foot for sure! That way, neither of us will need to endure the others offensive driving! :D Mine has become tempered when I drive in normal places but nice to have it when in NYC or Europe.... David

David,

There was one cab in my garage that had a horn that didn't work and trying to get through a shift. LOL.

Also know that in 1985 I bought a 1980 Checker limo. A very interesting car: only about 200 ever made (from the Checker factory); black vinyl top; opera window; and a rearward facing split bench seat for 9 adult seating capacity. My limo had a posi rear and was V-8 powered.

Now imagine a Checker stretched about a foot in wheelbase with longer doors and a huge chromed grill in dark navy blue. The interior was so vast I could fit my 10 foot on piece surf fishing rod into the car diagonally and I could close/lock the door with the windows rolled up. The airconditioner had an evaporator in the trunk.

Anyways this car had mucho personality. Wish I still had it. Basically a Checker is a car body built on a Chevy x-frame pick-up truck chassis. While a regular Checker was built on a short-bed, my limo was built on a long-bed chassis. Also know that it rode like a limo. Way cool and definitely an art car out on "Lawn-Guy-Land."

Cal

David,

There was one cab in my garage that had a horn that didn't work and trying to get through a shift. LOL.

Also know that in 1985 I bought a 1980 Checker limo. A very interesting car: only about 200 ever made (from the Checker factory); black vinyl top; opera window; and a rearward facing split bench seat for 9 adult seating capacity. My limo had a posi rear and was V-8 powered.

Now imagine a Checker stretched about a foot in wheelbase with longer doors and a huge chromed grill in dark navy blue. The interior was so vast I could fit my 10 foot on piece surf fishing rod into the car diagonally and I could close/lock the door with the windows rolled up. The airconditioner had an evaporator in the trunk.

Anyways this car had mucho personality. Wish I still had it. Basically a Checker is a car body built on a Chevy x-frame pick-up truck chassis. While a regular Checker was built on a short-bed, my limo was built on a long-bed chassis. Also know that it rode like a limo. Way cool and definitely an art car out on "Lawn-Guy-Land."

Cal

You are indeed a Vintage Hipster Calzone. That Checker sounds great. I remember we weren't wearing seat belts driving those. The bench seats allowed me to bounce around and somehow (maybe my youth) my back was fine at the end of a 10-hour shift. I was driving on the Island (Nassau County) most of my time driving taxi and we'd get these rains causing flash floods; the Checker would get through big puddles just fine. If you have a picture of your old Limo you should post it!

P.S. to stay on topic, not sure what the market is doing today but the MM is still a good buy! And yes to the Heliopan Filter.... :)

Back