Pet Peeves

You are right. The Wikipedia page has an audio sample pronounced as “Knee-Con”.

Or, for those who like rebus puzzles and the American board game and game show - Concentration:

1699365242262.jpeg 1699365389837.jpeg 1699365345761.jpeg

😁

Last edited:
The trend at present seems to be to render all public announcements on the rail network in local dialect . For example In Lancashire you don`t go from Manchester to Liverpool but "t`ugh" Liverpool.
I despair :)

"Someone posts a problem to the forum, then announces they’ve figured it out but failed to share how they solved it"

If that was me that`s because I`ve since found that actually I haven`t.

The trend at present seems to be to render all public announcements on the rail network in local dialect . For example In Lancashire you don`t go from Manchester to Liverpool but "t`ugh" Liverpool.
I despair :)
So how is that pronounced, then? To rhyme with "tug"? (That would be interesting.) Or is it simply "tuh"? Rather than rhyming with "zoo," which would be the "received pronunciation" I guess.

That's how English speaking folks would say it. The German pronunciation would be more like "FOGD-len-der." The Japanese would say it more like "VO-ta-ren-da." I think.

So how is that pronounced, then? To rhyme with "tug"? (That would be interesting.) Or is it simply "tuh"? Rather than rhyming with "zoo," which would be the "received pronunciation" I guess.
There's two variants. The classic Northern utterance is more like "tut"; it's usually formed from a contraction of "to the"; "going to the pub" becomes "goin' tut pub", with all the Us being low and quite guttural.

If there's no "the" in play, so you're "going to Liverpool", the "to" in the sentence becomes merely hinted at, so you get something more like "goin't Livepool", with the T at the end of "goin't" being very, very faint.

English accents and dialects are great. Big fan.

Have a go at the dialect from the Peaks and see how much you understand:

(You can hear some of the contractions of "the" and the guttural U I mentioned in that video)

I'll save the video for later, but I get your point. "Where is he?" "Up t'farm." The article ("the") is implied, in effect.

"Or is it simply "tuh"? Rather than rhyming with "zoo," which would be the "received pronunciation" I guess"

That`s right .... you go tuh places rather than to (zoo).

Anyway, all this aside... I'm still going to have to put my foot down and say the American pronunciation of "Nye-khon" is wrong. After all, Nikon is derived from Nippon Kogaku, and you don't pronounce Nippon as Nye-pon, do you?
The short i the Brits use is just as wrong, really. The first syllable in Nippon is "knee". But in any case, as a native English speaker and second language Japanese speaker, neither English nor Japanese speakers have a monopoly on pronouncing loanwords from the other language "wrong".

Yeah, but If you do then the sd card is full or dies or you run out of film.

Life happens. If you take it too seriously, as some do, it'll bite you in the ass.

Hopefully by sunrise when my shift ends, the rain will have stopped. If so, I'll see if I can find a picture or three. If not, there'll be tomorrow or the next day.
When I started digital photography, I ran into everything like this.

One night I was out and thought what a good photo something would be, but I had left the camera at home. After that, I took the camera out every day.

Soon after, I tried to turn on the camera but found the battery was dead. The solution was to always charge the battery before going out.

Then I tried taking a photo, only to find that I had left the battery charging at home. So I bought a spare battery and carried that everywhere, too.

Memory card was next. The solution was a spare memory card.

Now my bag always has at least one spare card, spare battery, and another camera, just in case something goes wrong somewhere. And if I (heaven forbid) lost my bag, there's always the camera in my pocket. :LOL:

When I started digital photography, I ran into everything like this.

One night I was out and thought what a good photo something would be, but I had left the camera at home. After that, I took the camera out every day.

Soon after, I tried to turn on the camera but found the battery was dead. The solution was to always charge the battery before going out.

Then I tried taking a photo, only to find that I had left the battery charging at home. So I bought a spare battery and carried that everywhere, too.

Memory card was next. The solution was a spare memory card.

Now my bag always has at least one spare card, spare battery, and another camera, just in case something goes wrong somewhere. And if I (heaven forbid) lost my bag, there's always the camera in my pocket. :LOL:

I had the same learning curve with large format. After getting up at 5am for the morning light, at location I would realize the tripod was at the hotel. Next shoot I would forget the shutter cable, then the loupe, and the dark cloth or the meter wouldn’t turn on.

When I forget my wife’s name I just call her honey.

Also Canadians. To most of us, even those like me who've lived in Australia for half a century, the locals still talk a mysterious dialect. They have many amusing expressions, but out of the cities, a lot of what I hear is like alien talk to me.

As for Nyek(h)on-Neek(h)on, well, as someone once said, different strokes for different folks. It's still the same camera, and a unique, superb system (obviously I'm a Nikon fan/atic, so a bit of prejudice is being stated here), and that's basically what matters.

Coldkennels (#100), your post makes sense, I could not agree more (apologies for the double negative!).

Last edited:
Also Canadians. To most of us, even those like me who've lived in Australia for half a century, the locals still talk a mysterious dialect. They have many amusing expressions, but out of the cities, a lot of what I hear is like alien talk to me.
It's fun and sometimes perplexing how social groups continue to develop eddies of linguistic uniqueness,

In the late 80s and early 90s, 'but' was originally used as form of 'nevertheless' after an adjective, popularized by a commercial which had the line, 'tastes good, but!'

Now, common slang adds the word 'as' after an adjective for emphasis / expression of magnitude. This is a contraction of 'as hell' or 'as fxxx' or similar.

Example: "that lens is expensive as hell" could become, "that lens is expensive as!"

I love the English language, but. These expressions are stupid as. :LOL:

In late 1970s Sydney, I often heard "...but" used at the ends of sentences. After a while I worked out that it was a rural New South Wales was of expressing oneself. And got quite used to it.

But (ha!) yes, language evolves, often in odd and unusual ways. An example, I find myself using the word "happenstance" often nowadays, maybe even too often. In place of "karma" which many of my younger friends say. Oddly to me, nobody knows what "happenstance" means.

And so, entirely for the fun of it, I Googled a bit - or if the purists prefer, "did a bit of Googling". Entirely your choice. Or - optional, entirely.

Happenstance. = coincidence.

Karma = (informal, as I opted to leave the Hindu significance out of it) good or bad luck, viewed as resulting from one's actions.

There we have it. I reckon I'm in the wrong entirely on using it as I do. One lives and one learns.

I too love the English language. And to me, these expressions are as fun as.

My pet peeve is the lack of standardized batteries. It seems like every digital camera has a specific size and associated charger. I’ve got a stack of the things from Nikon and Fuji. Will obsolete batteries put cameras out of commission after they’re no longer available?

Another peeve is the overuse of AAA cells in devices. They’re pricey and have less capacity than AA size. A small increase in device size would not be a problem for me.

And don’t get me going on all the different memory card formats, ah the price of progress….. o_O
And that's why I prefer digital cameras that take AA's. I do contract work for insurance company and I use a Fuji zoom camera for that because it uses AA's I can buy anyplace and it's 24 to 500mm equalivent lens.

Back