Pet Peeves

Nikon in its great wisdom made grips with AA battery inserts. I have two for my F65s (= N65s), our (shared with my partner) D90, and my very own D700s and D800s. Unsure if the Zf I now lust after has a similar pack, but I hope so. Most useful they are.

Other brands may have done the same, tho' I've never seen such a thing for a Canon. And I've been into Nikons since 1970, so my vision is, shall we put it politely, somewhat narrow in this regard.

(This must be the 'shortest' post I've written so far, ha!)

Nikon in its great wisdom made grips with AA battery inserts. I have two for my F65s (= N65s), our (shared with my partner) D90, and my very own D700s and D800s. Unsure if the Zf I now lust after has a similar pack, but I hope so. Most useful they are.

Other brands may have done the same, tho' I've never seen such a thing for a Canon. And I've been into Nikons since 1970, so my vision is, shall we put it politely, somewhat narrow in this regard.

(This must be the 'shortest' post I've written so far, ha!)

Canon used 2CR5 which was a real pain to find especially when travelling.

And that's why I prefer digital cameras that take AA's.
Anything modern using AAs?

I´ve honestly never had an issue with this... I think I prefer having a few rectangle shaped batteries that I charge over and over. I guess if you aren't the type to be prepared, then it's no fun having a camera without a battery.

Anything modern using AAs?
The only modern thing I can think of that takes AAs is the audio recorder I use for work. I'm marginally confused by anything that doesn't use rechargeable batteries in the modern age, whether it's the removable-and-chargeable ones in cameras or built-in USB-chargeable ones in everything else.

The only modern thing I can think of that takes AAs is the audio recorder I use for work. I'm marginally confused by anything that doesn't use rechargeable batteries in the modern age, whether it's the removable-and-chargeable ones in cameras or built-in USB-chargeable ones in everything else.
Oh, I meant modern digital cameras...

Another one of my Pet Peeves:

For sale items that are positioned/posed/placed on rocks, bricks, cement, and other rough surfaces. Why?

I shake my head and to be honest, I get turned off and won't even consider the item - even though it may have been carefully placed on the rough surface to avoid scratches.

On the other hand -- AAs are at least standardized, and you can get them pretty much anywhere. Rechargeable batteries are not standardized, as far as I'm aware, and how long would replacements be available? (AAs don't burst into flames, either.... :))

(AAs don't burst into flames, either.... :))
No... they just leak and corrode everything!

In all seriousness, while proprietary removable-to-recharge batteries (like camera batteries) aren't standardised, as far as I'm aware, internal ones are... to a degree. Replacing internal batteries with equivalents isn't too difficult if you know where to look for the parts.

There's even been some brave people in certain circles who are splitting apart proprietary rechargeable batteries to reuse the case and circuitry and just replace the cell. If you're determined enough, it's possible.

There's even been some brave people in certain circles who are splitting apart proprietary rechargeable batteries to reuse the case and circuitry and just replace the cell. If you're determined enough, it's possible.
Yeah, it's a way of life for us weird Rolleiflex 6x6 SLR owners. Worth the effort, as there's no alternative.

Improperly used apostrophes, usually seen attached to simple plural nouns. Example: Leica’s, camera’s, etc., when the word’s meaning is plural, not possessive.

The use of “at” when denoting location. Example: “Where are you at?” “Where is Billybob at?” “On what floor is the Department of Redundancy Department located at?”

Complete omission of the preposition. Example: “…when I’m done work.” This is especially prevalent in the greater Philadelphia region but may be infecting the rest of the country for all I know. I haven’t had the opportunity to go anywhere besides NYC since 2016.

Phil Forrest

Improperly used apostrophes, usually seen attached to simple plural nouns. Example: Leica’s, camera’s, etc., when the word’s meaning is plural, not possessive.

The use of “at” when denoting location. Example: “Where are you at?” “Where is Billybob at?” “On what floor is the Department of Redundancy Department located at?”

Complete omission of the preposition. Example: “…when I’m done work.” This is especially prevalent in the greater Philadelphia region but may be infecting the rest of the country for all I know. I haven’t had the opportunity to go anywhere besides NYC since 2016.

Phil Forrest
And of course when you see on a mailbox (for example) "The Smith's." Unless that's where the blacksmith lives, it's incorrect.

And of course when you see on a mailbox (for example) "The Smith's." Unless that's where the blacksmith lives, it's incorrect.
Hmmm, I always thought that was like saying the Smith´s House, but I guess that should be The Smiths´... unless it is one guy called Smith or as you said a ´SMITH lives there.

No, it should be either "The Smiths" (Dad Smith, Mom Smith, Child Smith #1 and Child Smith #2 live here) or maybe "The Smiths'" (meaning, this is the Smiths' house).

Another one of my Pet Peeves:

For sale items that are positioned/posed/placed on rocks, bricks, cement, and other rough surfaces. Why?

I shake my head and to be honest, I get turned off and won't even consider the item - even though it may have been carefully placed on the rough surface to avoid scratches.

Agree. Especially when the rock, brick, cement and/r other rough surfaces, is/are in better condition than the item on sale...

Phil Forrest

Yes. The Zeisses or Zeiss's Syndrome.

Is it apostrophiitis or apostrophobia?

Yes. The Zeisses or Zeiss's Syndrome.

Is it apostrophiitis or apostrophobia?
Zeiss bumps or Weltini welts :ROFLMAO:

Former RFF Member @Huss cracks me up :ROFLMAO::
1705054512920.png

Phil Forrest
I am a lawyer and you would be stunned by how often I see this error in professional and legal writing. And I'm not referring just to emails—I see misplaced apostrophes in documents filed in court all the time.

Then there’s the New Yorker magazine style book (or is it the NYT?) such as James’s versus James’.

Back