Polaroid Thread

50504302828_b2ac86b3f5_z.jpg

50512504911_cbb0575864_z.jpg

50575421616_bd9eb50108_z.jpg

50587276287_e3eb6fe503_z.jpg

I've always liked to underexpose Polaroid films, and with the Fuji FP100C it's possible to get some lucky "accidents". These were shot with a Polaroid 195 Land camera.

med_U73354I1605380643.SEQ.0.jpg

med_U73354I1605380644.SEQ.1.jpg

So ... A few months on and finally I decided to figure out how to work this film. First exposure - blech, forgot to pull the dark slide. Second exposure - Um, Oh .. yeah, you have to thread the puller tab through the rollers. Third exposure - Success!

First successful exposure - One Instant film

It works! And even looks pretty good, considering the slow exposure and test subject. :D

Fifteen more exposures on hand. Take it slow... LOL!

G

Very cool, ray!

Guess what showed up in the mail today? ...

50245390098_2d6e229bf4_o.jpg

“Eighteen Exposures to Eternity"

Fresh, new Polaroid-compatible pack film from SuperSense: 18 photographs and a camera to use them in. Each pack has ONE shot in it.

I've been waiting a long time to see this. :)

G

I browsed back through this thread for a few minutes this morning and felt a great nostalgia for the SuperSense "One Instant" Polaroid pack-film attempt. I'd completely forgotten about it, about the fact that I had three six packs of it still sitting on a shelf in my closet from 2020. Absolutely no point to it now ... It should all go into the trash.

But ... Ya never know what you might get out of a few failed packs of goofy film, and a couple of long long forgotten junk cameras. I decided to see if I could still make any images at all out of the remains of what I had, and then put the whole kit and kaboodle into the trash afterwards.

The effluvia of shooting 12 exposures of this pack film has filled a large yard-sized garbage bag. But to my astonishment, it managed to create a few actual photographs. They're on the kitchen counter drying now ... I'll leave them be for a day or so and then scan them.

I have saved out all the exposures of all the One Instant film I had as well as one "six pack" box and packaging from April 2020, as my official mementos of the project. Everything else is going into the trash now.

Everything has its Time. And Time is not infinite.

G

In the 70's, '80's, 90's, if I had not dismissed Polaroid cameras and Polaroid film as being an inferior, almost toy-like product, I would have discovered how wonderful pack film was and even would have respected SX-70 and 600 film.

Sadly, I discovered all of this just as Polaroid was disappearing. I discovered pack film just after Fuji stopped production.

This is the penalty I pay for a closed mind.

In the 70's, '80's, 90's, if I had not dismissed Polaroid cameras and Polaroid film as being an inferior, almost toy-like product, I would have discovered how wonderful pack film was and even would have respected SX-70 and 600 film.

Sadly, I discovered all of this just as Polaroid was disappearing. I discovered pack film just after Fuji stopped production.

This is the penalty I pay for a closed mind.
So much of our photography (and our lives in general!) is influenced by those sneaky messages about what we can't/shouldn't do. Usual those messages are complete BS. But in your case, you recognized your error, and learned from it. That's the important lesson!

Fuji Instax Wide photo of the recent annular eclipse (October 2023). The “camera” was a pinhole telephoto setup built from a 12 foot cardboard shipping tube and a 0.8mm pinhole attached to the front of a Nikon N8008 camera body. The camera back was removed from the Nikon and the body gaffer-taped to the front end of the tube, thus serving as a shutter.

The film back was 3D-printed to adapt to the 4” diameter tube with a 4x5 Graflok back flange. A Lomograflok back for Fujifilm Instax Wide was used to make the exposures.

My friend Ethan Moses, who runs Cameradactyl Cameras, 3D printed the back and adapted the Nikon camera body.

The effective focal ratio of the device is around F/4500. Exposure times were 1/8000 second using the Nikon‘s shutter.

To make it work, Ethan would be up on the roof controlling the camera. He’d open the camera to bulb, I’d insert the 3D-printed viewing screen and line up the tube, then swap out the Lomo Instax back. Then Ethan would set the Nikon to the right shutter speed and signal me, I’d pull the dark slide and he’d trip the Nikon‘s shutter, then I’d insert the dark slide and push the eject button on the back.

During the height of totality we kept the dark slide out and did a series of exposures one after another, to capture the event in more detail.

Here‘s a video about the event:

IMG_4370.jpegIMG_4370.jpeg

IMG_4392.jpeg

IMG_4380.jpeg

Fuji Instax Wide photo of the recent annular eclipse (October 2023). The “camera” was a pinhole telephoto setup built from a 12 foot cardboard shipping tube and a 0.8mm pinhole attached to the front of a Nikon N8008 camera body. The camera back was removed from the Nikon and the body gaffer-taped to the front end of the tube, thus serving as a shutter.

The film back was 3D-printed to adapt to the 4” diameter tube with a 4x5 Graflok back flange. A Lomograflok back for Fujifilm Instax Wide was used to make the exposures.

My friend Ethan Moses, who runs Cameradactyl Cameras, 3D printed the back and adapted the Nikon camera body.

The effective focal ratio of the device is around F/4500. Exposure times were 1/8000 second using the Nikon‘s shutter.

To make it work, Ethan would be up on the roof controlling the camera. He’d open the camera to bulb, I’d insert the 3D-printed viewing screen and line up the tube, then swap out the Lomo Instax back. Then Ethan would set the Nikon to the right shutter speed and signal me, I’d pull the dark slide and he’d trip the Nikon‘s shutter, then I’d insert the dark slide and push the eject button on the back.

During the height of totality we kept the dark slide out and did a series of exposures one after another, to capture the event in more detail.

Here‘s a video about the event:

Nice work! and a very interesting pinhole rig!
Great photos! :D

G

Thanks for the ad, unfortunately this year I'm in the middle of a series of renovation works at home and no time for it. But even if not taking parg I will watch hte works on Flickr.

Back