Ricoh annouces GR IIIx

joe bosak

Well-known
Local time
10:43 AM
Main new feature is the lens

• Newly developed 26.1mm f2.8 lens (equivalent to 40mm in 35mm format)
• 24.24MP CMOS sensor
• 3-axis Sensor Shift Shake Reduction

• 10 different film simulation settings
• 3" High resolution LCD monitor
• 1920x1080 Full HD recording at 60, 30 and 24 FPS

So happy, I've been asking for this for years .
The 28 and 40mm camera pair combined with a 21 mm adapter will fill 90% of my travel and in town needs.

Also worth mentioning they have a tele-converter to make the 40mm into a 75mm.

acc-banner-img-big.png

Well, I’ve been waiting many years for this… finally a pocket camera with a normal lens. Thankfully “yesterday” is finally here. An instant buy for me.

I like the 40mm on EqFOV too. Looks like a darn nice compact camera.

I've pretty much got this taken care of with my Leica CL fitted with MS Optics Aporia 24mm f/2 lens, however. It's a smidge larger, but interchangeable lenses (any of my M or R lenses, plus the TL and SL series) and the Leica control UI which I really like. With the Aporia 24mm, it's 35mm EqFOV and slips into a pocket easily, like an original Barnack with an Elmar 35mm lens, collapsed.

G

I'm very interested in this camera as well. I like the 28mm equivalent GR III, but I think I would prefer the GR IIIx's 40mm equivalent lens for photos of people.

I hardly ever use flash, but it would be nice if Ricoh made a really tiny flash to go with these cameras. The existing flashes look to be bigger than the cameras.

Very interested in this. Will study the reviews when the camera is released. Could this be the digital version of a Rollei 35?

Well, I’ve been waiting many years for this… finally a pocket camera with a normal lens. Thankfully “yesterday” is finally here. An instant buy for me.

I know it! We waited so long for something akin to the Rollei 35 and similar film compacts. I'm going to be getting it, but will have a hard decision whether to keep the 28mm version. Ideally I'd have both, but $1k is a lot for me to swing.

I don't see anything about crop modes, except for with the 75mm converter. Anyone seen that spec?

40 cropped to 50 would mean much less data loss than the current jump of 28 to 50.

I don't see anything about crop modes, except for with the 75mm converter. Anyone seen that spec?

40 cropped to 50 would mean much less data loss than the current jump of 28 to 50.

You can set the camera to crop to 50mm and 71mm equiv.

Good for the guys that have always wanted that 40mm equivalent pocket cam. For me, no viewfinder - no buy.

The Hoodman Loupe, which is dioptric and fits the GR screen, can be carried like a film director’s viewfinder round the neck and used as one pleases. I’ve been shooting this way with the GR for years.

And as GR photographers know, once you set snap distance, exposure and aperture, you can rely on a good optical VF.

Glad that Ricoh is doing this, however late it seems. Sigma has shown the way with their DPM/DPQ lines. (DPMs also lack viewfinders, but they’re unpocketable anyway, so I use a Hoodman cage-loupe on my DP3; Sigma in turn learned from Hoodman and offer big loupes on the DPQs.)

I wonder how long before we see a 21MM equivalent ....

Seems like an easy way to leverage a lot of existing engineering.

Will buy Ricoh time for technology to jump a bit more before having to redo the core camera.

Perhaps they will do the same with a bit longer lens.

B2

Back