Ricoh annouces GR IIIx

I don't like it.
I tweeted @PENTAXIAN, @GR_RICOH and @GR_RICOH_GLOBAL an hour ago and asked when the GR IIIx will be available in the U.S. I'll update this thread when/if I receive a response.

I don't do Facebook or Instagram, but if anyone reading this does, please reach out to Ricoh through those channels as well and let them know we want the GR IIIx here in the U.S. too.

I have used the Ricoh GR series but film and digital. I like 28mm but I have also been long been hoping to find a digital compact camera with a fixed 50mm lens. This is the closest thing to that (in crop mode). I am certainly tempted to buy it when it becomes available!

Sketch was the key word. You have missed it while making assumptions about me. Didn't you?

With Ricoh GRD III I just come to people close, talk and take quick shot. It is easy because GRD III is not taken as something serious and because 28 allows to do it quick&dirty while been at normal talking distance.

How often you did sketches like this with your 40mm FOV while carry on good times conversations by been close?

51304135042_bda2a869a2_o.jpg

Also, did you frame it by the screen or via EVF? I'm having difficulties with screen only on the street if FOV is narrow.

All you're talking about is how you previsualize the scene. If your brain and eyes "work" in 40mm then you'll "sketch" that way. You are more comfortable with 28mm for this purpose. That's all.

I'll admit that it seems a bit harder to frame with a longer lens on an LCD screen... but is it really? 28mm has enough distortion and effects from the relative placement of elements and their spatial relationship with each other that in practice I think careful framing is important with both.

All you're talking about is how you previsualize the scene. If your brain and eyes "work" in 40mm then you'll "sketch" that way. You are more comfortable with 28mm for this purpose. That's all.

I'll admit that it seems a bit harder to frame with a longer lens on an LCD screen... but is it really? 28mm has enough distortion and effects from the relative placement of elements and their spatial relationship with each other that in practice I think careful framing is important with both.

I did practice on 40mm with Rollei 35, Oly Trip 35, Smena-8m and Minolta Rokkor-M 40/2 CLE. All were in use with VF.

This is why my concern is. With all of those "instant buy to me because it is 40mm I used to have on film"... how many are realizing they have to use not too big screen, hold camera at some distance their eyes might not see without vision correction aids and it is not something practical with light source behind of the screen (a.k.a. sun at your back). ?

With 28 it is easy to go no VF, no screen. With 40 it is not. Practice or not.

I did practice on 40mm with Rollei 35, Oly Trip 35, Smena-8m and Minolta Rokkor-M 40/2 CLE. All were in use with VF.

This is why my concern is. With all of those "instant buy to me because it is 40mm I used to have on film"... how many are realizing they have to use not too big screen, hold camera at some distance their eyes might not see without vision correction aids and it is not something practical with light source behind of the screen (a.k.a. sun at your back). ?

Focusing a 28mm manual lens on Ricoh GXR-M or a Leica TL2's rear LCD was just as you describe, nigh on impossible in bright light.
However the little Pentax Q7 with the same view provided by it's 8.5mm autofocus lens had been a lot more successful for me despite a far poorer LCD.

We shall see. I get what you mean, but you can start to get an idea by changing the in-camera crop to 35mm, or even 50mm, and start to get a pretty good feel for what the 40mm GRIIIx will be like.

The 40mm is arguably a bit more suited to todays climate than the 28mm were people are less inclined to get 'too close' with a 28mm.

Now if pentax did a monochrome version then it would probably be the ultimate street camera imo...at least for my u
uses. Also raw crop would give ultimate flexibility

Definitely preordering.

I wonder how many of those who proclaims 40 fov to be perfect with screen only have practical experience with sketching at so narrow fov.

I'm a bit puzzled by this whole line of thinking. 40mm (equ.) is hardly a long lens, and is in no way unusable on a rear screen...

I'm a bit puzzled by this whole line of thinking. 40mm (equ.) is hardly a long lens, and is in no way unusable on a rear screen...

I agree… I’m not sure what people think. It’s a little more narrow than 35mm but with the depth of field of a 26mm. Not hard at all…

According to the Ricoh press release, available at the AP News Wire https://apnews.com/press-release/pr...ital-cameras-547cc0dcbdce88a973521e82a8685090 :

The RICOH GR IIIx will be available early October 2021 at https://us.ricoh-imaging.com/ as well as at select Ricoh Imaging-authorized retail outlets nationwide for a manufacturer’s suggested retail price of $999.95.

I see that Kai and various other online camera reviewers have had prerelease samples to work with, so I'd expect it's just a matter of a couple of weeks before you see them in the retail market.

G

Nothing yet?

i recently had a chat with a local photo dealer. without actually asking him, he reported of a catastrophic service attitude at Ricoh. now I don't know whether this would be typical to all representatives ...

According to the Ricoh press release, available at the AP News Wire https://apnews.com/press-release/pr...ital-cameras-547cc0dcbdce88a973521e82a8685090 :

I see that Kai and various other online camera reviewers have had prerelease samples to work with, so I'd expect it's just a matter of a couple of weeks before you see them in the retail market.

G

We’ve seen that for sure, but nothing official from Ricoh USA which is the weird part. That press release isn’t even on their own website. It’s officially announced in Japan and the UK, so it even shows up in stores for preorder. October is the shipping date in general.

Back