Ricoh GR Digital (I,II,III,IV)

B-9

Devin Bro
Local time
1:15 AM
Hello all!

I wanted to start a dedicated GRD thread to share settings, troubleshooting, and accessories specific to these older models.

Feel free to share a photo or two while your here!

Im curious what custom image settings you use for B&W (Jpeg)?

---
I have been playing with

BW-TE,
TE: Sepia
Color Depth: -1
Contrast: +1
Sharpness: 0

Well, I just picked up an old original GR Digital from Japan to finally play around with digital a bit since i don't have my darkroom right now. Seems to work fine except the battery dies really fast, gonna buy a new battery today and see if it helps.

46864448342_d3aaf9bf00_c.jpg

Hello all!

I wanted to start a dedicated GRD thread to share settings, troubleshooting, and accessories specific to these older models.

Feel free to share a photo or two while your here!

Im curious what custom image settings you use for B&W (Jpeg)?

---
I have been playing with

BW-TE,
TE: Sepia
Color Depth: -1
Contrast: +1
Sharpness: 0

Looks like You have a perfect formula

Thanks Helen!

@Pesphoto: look for a DB-65 (1250mah) battery over the DB-60 (1150mah) the 65's replaced the 60's

Love the moody street lamp, care to share your settings?

Thanks Helen!

@Pesphoto: look for a DB-65 (1250mah) battery over the DB-60 (1150mah) the 65's replaced the 60's

Love the moody street lamp, care to share your settings?

thanks for the tip, was just looking at the DB-60's but hadn't pulled the trigger yet...

Im still learning my way around the settings but for this shot:
b/w
snap focus
contrast cranked all the way up
iso 800
jpg

- my photo is straight out of camera, no PS work and the "grain" is actually better than I was expecting.
....note: I prefer the "grain", coming from a lifelong TriX shooter...

Gizmo is my best buddy. I couldn’t imagine a day without him.

He is Flattie crossed with Labrador. His litter was bred to be service dogs and a few of his brothers are still in active duty. Smart as a whip! Loves kids.

What a cute puppy he was too! 12 years on I still see that puppy in his face! Even with that grey beard and eyebrows he’s grown.

The kids call him “Gizmo the Grey”

Gizmo is my best buddy. I couldn’t imagine a day without him.

He is Flattie crossed with Labrador. His litter was bred to be service dogs and a few of his brothers are still in active duty. Smart as a whip! Loves kids.

What a cute puppy he was too! 12 years on I still see that puppy in his face! Even with that grey beard and eyebrows he’s grown.

The kids call him “Gizmo the Grey”

nice, I had a black lab mix also...thought I recognized that white beard :)

GR Digital 3, nothing fancy:
For BW: b&w standard; ISO auto 1600 max; Contrast +2; snap 1,5m; EV -0,7
For color: Standard color; ISO auto up to 800; snap 1,5m; EV -0,7
More and more I shoot only color and convert to b&w in SilverEfex.

tumblr_p26x8j1p1z1tum3hno1_500.jpg

tumblr_pfba29MoD01tum3hno4_500.jpg

Im finding this old camera to be pleasantly clean at base ISO.

Getting along nicely with the camera after only about a week with it!

I need to get out and shoot some snow scenes today.

Bump, show me some more photos/settings!

No one cares how old you are or what gender you identify as in this thread! ;)

I am that I am, I am, I am -Peter Tosh

..... and GO!

med_U45148I1363158625.SEQ.1.jpg

med_U45148I1363159347.SEQ.1.jpg

med_U45148I1363158626.SEQ.3.jpg

GRD III

med_U45148I1361164776.SEQ.4.jpg

GRD IV

I’ve used some form of GR digital since the III was new. I went through a phase of using their high contrast (#4 above), and a period where I shot a project called Shelf Lives about the pathos of sentimental figurines in Goodwill and St Vinnie’s that had clearly outlived their owners. Mostly I shot those at f1.9 iso 1600 (2 and 3 above). They made a good exhibit, too. GR has always been a good unobtrusive street camera, and you *can* get in close without subjects noticing—or if they do, it’s still not like being sniped by a DSLR or anything with a VF at face level.

I have a GR now—still my dedicated 28mm walkaround, though living in a small town I’m less likely to treat the neighbors and acquaintances I see at the PO each day as street subjects (which I’d totally do in a city). So it comes along on city visits, like to NYC recently:

med_U45148I1538938603.SEQ.1.jpg

The bigger sensor does make a diff for low light shooting. In any case, the ethos of continuity and consistency in the GR from film through the latest digital iteration is admirable, and I’m happy to have always owned and used one or another during my digital-cam years.

If anyone is interested in a nice GRD III, get in touch.

Great shots Robert!

I might be interested in a GRDIII for it’s 1.9 lens!

I’ll have to wait though. In need of a new heater as of this evening. Went down to check on the unit in the basement and the darn thing was on fire...and not where it should have been! Amidst -40F it’s a frustrating and scary situation. Pretty bummed out as the unit was only a couple months old and cost a small fortune (on my peasants budget) lol.

Edit: I guess I should have grabbed a photo with the GRD, lol :) in good spirits atleast.

The GRD III was my go-to pocket camera for a few years, and the camera that totally sold me on Ricoh. I bought it after a rainy day of shooting in the City with my 5D Mark II; the DSLR had to go back in the bag because of the rain, and my Sigma DP2 wouldn't shoot fast enough. I wanted a camera that would be in and out of a pocket in an instant, and in the next few days, I bought the GRD III and never looked back.

GRD III - The Time Traveller IV [explore 2014 05 14] by Archiver, on Flickr

I bought the 21mm lens adapter and it became even better.

GRDIII - Empty shelves by Archiver, on Flickr

After a few years and countless exposures, it developed a lens fault, where the shutter wouldn't fire properly and it stayed open until you pressed the button again. The repair was annoyingly expensive, and they had to replace the whole lens block.

My GR was amazing until it developed what is turning out to be a fairly common lens/shutter issue. When it turns on, the shutter stays closed until you press the shutter button. Then it fires and takes a while to open properly. I still have to get it fixed. Ugh.

GR - The Solipsistic Universe [explore 2016 10 17 #363] by Archiver, on Flickr

The 21mm adapter is a fair bit larger and heavier than the GRD III version. Disturbingly, the combination of GR and 21mm adapter is eerily close to the Leica M9 with Zeiss Biogon 21mm f2.8.

GR - The Fleet by Archiver, on Flickr

I’ll have to wait though. In need of a new heater as of this evening. Went down to check on the unit in the basement and the darn thing was on fire...and not where it should have been! Amidst -40F it’s a frustrating and scary situation. Pretty bummed out as the unit was only a couple months old and cost a small fortune (on my peasants budget) lol.

Jeepers, dude! Glad your house is okay! :eek:

I love my GRD IV, but have mostly used it to shoot in RAW. The macro close focus ability is pretty unique. In this shot, the front of the lens was resting on the space bar.

M is for macro, monochrome, Mac...

R0012852.jpg
by dourbalistar, on Flickr

Back