Show us your Leica M5

Here is my first one. Sold many years ago. Kind of hot rodded a bit by the previous owner with the Blue skin.
Was a wicked combo with that hex limited 50.
10005086515_02d8eed96c_c.jpg

here is my new M5 from RFF member Johnny-thanx again Johnny. So as a newer M shooter, M6 in 2/13. The M5 was my original choice but never found the right one and went with a M6. The M5 itch was never satisfied thus got this-without the Cron- yesterday-M5 first blush: gave me an immediate WOW factor based on: much lighter than what I anticipated being I never held one, the size/fits in my hand is perfect, the exposure info in VF is genius IMO and not sure why they left this technology versus the blinking red triangles, spot meter, a great 35 MM FOV, easily accessed shutter speed dial and selection viewable in VF thus really never have to lift my eye off VF- really like the vertical hanging aspect as well...looking forward to running film through it this weekend. just curios why the M5 isn't more popular today? Thanks!

Logical place to ask a question

Logical place to ask a question

Hello all - I have an M5 (2-lug, black) on order. Nice body, but the latch-key for the bottom plate flops out (spring-thingy is shot?). Rather than keep it in the half-case (seller's suggestion) or use duck-tape (Red Green's suggestion) how do I fix it?

Is this a simple DIY project? or does is require a Leitz-specific part? I can send it off to my usual CLA/repair place, but hope I can foodle with it on my own. Thanks for anything positive, --alfredian

One could argue that the rounded ends of the other M's win in the svelte department but the M5 is such an underrated shooter. A joy to use.

You can do it yourself. Take the screw off the inside lock knob and the assembly comes apart. Make sure you keep track of which washer goes first.

Now that you have the latch-key in your hand, punch out the pin and just slightly bend it, so that it stays in place, and re-install it together.

Piece of cake.

Hello all - I have an M5 (2-lug, black) on order. Nice body, but the latch-key for the bottom plate flops out (spring-thingy is shot?). Rather than keep it in the half-case (seller's suggestion) or use duck-tape (Red Green's suggestion) how do I fix it?

Is this a simple DIY project? or does is require a Leitz-specific part? I can send it off to my usual CLA/repair place, but hope I can foodle with it on my own. Thanks for anything positive, --alfredian

The M5 formerly known as Bubba...

The M5 formerly known as Bubba...

Bubba and the stunning Konica UC-Hexanon 35mm f/2.0 lens. ;)

Leica+M5-20.jpg

Wayne

Here's my M5 with its little brother.

It actually makes the excellent Canon 50mm f1.4 lens look small, or at least the right size for the body. I find it very well balanced and good to shoot; a bit heavy, but not at all clumsy, and the overhung shutter speed dial works very well with the meter display in the finder. I actually prefer its handling to that of the smaller and lighter CL. The RF on the CL is not really up to the use of the"Sonnarski" Jupiter 3, but the excellent finder of the M5 makes focusing a treat.

Cheers,
Dez

Coulda. Shoulda. Woulda. Had I known, I would have bought Bubba back. Someday, I may own another M5. :bang: :cool:

Wayne

It sold here a few years ago..
Maybe they will see this thread...
I added a Silver Battery adapter insert...for 386 bats.

Now with the M9/240/MM. the M5 is not that different in handing and shape.

I still like the M5, but, used M or used LTM lenses are too much on my budget..

Back