Show us your Leica M5

She's not arrived yet:

s27a7n.jpg

I'm seriously thinking about getting a Nokton 1.1 or a Sonnar 1.5...still undecided if funds will allow the expense.

You can do it yourself. Take the screw off the inside lock knob and the assembly comes apart. Make sure you keep track of which washer goes first.

Now that you have the latch-key in your hand, punch out the pin and just slightly bend it, so that it stays in place, and re-install it together.

Piece of cake.

I think the M5 works differently since the tripod mount is there.

16220070823_153d9a44ce_z.jpg

This is mine.

I like the early M5 in chrome. It has the same levers for the selftimer and pre-view as the M4, more solid than the later ones that usually have lost their grip.

Erik.

M5 and Nikon F, Two Great Film Cameras

M5 and Nikon F, Two Great Film Cameras

I discovered how great the Nikon F is to use this week after getting a Micro Nikkor from KEH. My film Leica is an M5 purchased from Sherry after she worked her magic on it. It was a black two lug but I had Sherry add a third lug and recover it. This is the first time I have seen this thread and coming this week while I am using the Nikon F seems like great luck. The Nikon F and Leica M5 seem almost identical in size and weight except for that big bump in the middle of the F.

And when I say I discovered how great the Nikon F is to use, perhaps I should say rediscovered as I used a couple for five years back in the 1970's when I was a newspaper photographer. My current F is a plain prism model and the previous lens I had on it seemed to be a bit fuzzy but I was wondering if it was my eyesight at 66. The Micro Nikkor showed it was not my eyesight.

And after using all the Leica M's, the M5 is the best shooter but small it is not. But not as big an a Nikon F with motor and 180f2.8 or 500f8 attached which was a standard for sports. And I have a 3F coming for when I want small (first LTM).

Last edited:
re weight :

F2 ( body with DP1 finder ) = 870 g
M5 ( body ) = 700 g

both were probably loaded with film when weighed :)

AP

Here’s a somewhat old one of my mine - the two fifties have since been liquidated to pre-emptively avoid a discussion with the wife over the addition of a V4 50mm Summicron. The problem now is that I want a new chrome lens because I am vain, and looking at this picture i have realised it just looks better. I think i need you to kindly talk me of it

Untitled by Søren Davidsen, on Flickr

Also, can someone explain why the frame selector and timer are all black on my M5?

Back