Six Versions new Voigtlander 28mm F2.8 Aspherical - M & LTM !

The review at FredMiranda states a minimum focus distance of 0.5m, the official description at Cosine's web site states "The shortest shooting distance linked to the rangefinder is 0.7m.". Does it mean that the lens focuses closer than 0.7m but without RF coupling? I pre-ordered the LTM version from Yodobashi Camera here in japan but curious about minimum focal distance.

correct. couples to 0.7m, uncoupled to 0.5m. This is for the Type II M-mount. The LTM will not focus closer than the coupled distance of 0.7m.

The review at FredMiranda states a minimum focus distance of 0.5m, the official description at Cosine's web site states "The shortest shooting distance linked to the rangefinder is 0.7m.". Does it mean that the lens focuses closer than 0.7m but without RF coupling? I pre-ordered the LTM version from Yodobashi Camera here in japan but curious about minimum focal distance.
On the specs it appears the type II lens focusses down to .5 meters (RF coupled to .7 meters) and the type I (both M and LTM) focusses down to .7 meters. Specs seem clear on both Fred Miranda's review and Stephen Gandy's website.

correct. couples to 0.7m, uncoupled to 0.5m. This is for the Type II M-mount. The LTM will not focus closer than the coupled distance of 0.7m.

On the specs it appears the type II lens focusses down to .5 meters (RF coupled to .7 meters) and the type I (both M and LTM) focusses down to .7 meters. Specs seem clear on both Fred Miranda's review and Stephen Gandy's website.
Many thanks for the clarification!

I'm really excited by this, even if I don't "need" another 28. I already have the Voigtlander 28 1.7 and the 3.5, but I always wanted a compact 2.8. Bravo!

damn, this is kind of a tough audience.

The late LTM Voigtlander 28/3.5 was an instant classic and much missed from the day it was discontinued, about 15 years ago.

Now a new much better 28/2.8 arrives in a choice of six tasty flavors and hardly any comments at all.

BTW, Fred Miranda found it a better lens overall than the Leica M 28/2.8 V2 at only $2800.

The late LTM Voigtlander 28/3.5 was an instant classic and much missed from the day it was discontinued, about 15 years ago.

Now a new much better 28/2.8 arrives in a choice of six tasty flavors and hardly any comments at all.

It's not so much that I'm a tough audience, it's that I just bought a different 28/2.8 as a carry-around lens for my Pixii, and now I am kind of kicking myself for not waiting a little longer and getting this instead...

BTW, Fred Miranda found it a better lens overall than the Leica M 28/2.8 V2 at only $2800.

Well, I still have and use that LTM Voigtländer Color-Skopar 28mm f/3.5, and just recently picked up a Leica Summicron-M 28mm f/2 ASPH at a price I couldn't refuse... So, while I like 28mm lenses, I don't really need a third one ... ;)

But the various versions of the new Voigtländer Color-Skopar lens look great, and if they image as well as they ought to on the digital bodies as well as the film bodies, they should be a huge success. Who knows ... Maybe I'll need a third 28mm in the future..? LOL!

G

If I didn't already own said 28/3.5, I would be grabbing one of these f/2.8 ones without hesitation. I do like the classic focus tab/infinity lock and overall styling, but I can't justify owning two lenses that are so similar to each other - even if I am excited to see new LTM lenses appearing after such a long drought.

I see it's got the same oddball 34mm filter size as the 40mm Heliar. Will this one take A36 filters?

The 40/2.8 will not work with A36, so I’m assuming the 28/2.8 won’t either.

The finish and ‘build quality’ of the latest Voigtlander lenses are above the early offerings from 2000 or so. Not that the early ones were lacking; rather the newer ones are as good as the best on the market.

... BTW, Fred Miranda found it a better lens overall than the Leica M 28/2.8 V2 at only $2800.
Yes, but it also seems the Ultron is clearly better stop-to-stop. While the Ultron is indeed heavier (double) by comparison, it's still relatively small and light. Given the choice, for the price difference, I'd still opt for the Ultron. And the Color-Skopar's version II screw-in shade - with all due respect to the designers - seems pretty lame. I felt the same way bout the original 28 Ultron's screw-in shade.

Last edited:
I intend to buy the black VM II version but I'll have to be patient since you don't ship outside of the USA, and Voigtlander does not allow BH to ship lenses to Canada. I'll buy it in Vietnam when I get there. A little bit cheaper too. Cheers, OtL

Voigtlander is making terrific lenses. I used the 40mm Heliar on my one camera/one lens Euro rig last summer. Unfortunately the 28mm was a little late in coming for me. I more often use the 21 or 35mm...& had made peace with a Canon 28 LTM before this VC was announced.IMG_4991.JPGIMG_6854.JPG

Last edited:
Yesterday I received my Voigtälnder 28mm f2.8 Color-Skopar Aspherical (Type I) VM lens (BlacK).

Today I took it to Chinatown in Yokohama to check it out. I'm very pleased with the lens. I'll post a few pictures.

All the best,
Mike

Back