Six Versions new Voigtlander 28mm F2.8 Aspherical - M & LTM !

I have the Color-Skopar 28mm f3.5 LTM (2004?) in black paint. One of the most beautiful made (and optically superb) 28mm lenses I've seen so far. It would be great if anyone will do a comparison test with the new aspherical 28mm!

Erik.
+1. I love it so much I've been unmoved by these new releases (so far and without having used any of them anyway).

Yokohama Chinatown
Over 250 restaurants to choose from - Searching for the right one​
DSC01190.jpg

Sony A7III, Voigtälnder 28mm f2.8 Color-Skopar Aspherical (Type I) VM lens
Kenko M-E Adapter
August, 2023 - Yokohama, Japan
Image is lower resolution than original​

These files have a very nice "snap" to them -- pleasing contrast on the b&w files. Mike, is that a function of the lens, or of your post processing?

These files have a very nice "snap" to them -- pleasing contrast on the b&w files. Mike, is that a function of the lens, or of your post processing?
BM, while we're waiting for Mike to answer, i think the new 28 is similar to the Heliar 40, which i used all last year....only on film. It had a very modern, contrasty character.... i'd guess the new 28mm to draw along the same lines.

Hello Benjamin, all the pictures I posted were JPEGS straight out of the camera. No post processing other than I straightened up a few pictures that were a little crooked. It was my first outing with the lens and it was also a lunch date in Chinatown with my wife.

The B&W images were made using the Sony in-camera B&W simulation.

All the best,
Mike

Mike, why did you buy the V.I, instead of the V.II? I'm asking since the latter has a minimal focus distance of 0.5 meters, instead of the 0.7 meters of the V.I. Cheers, OtL

First impression, handling and size reminds me a lot of the W-Nikkor-C 2.8 cm f/3.5. Aperture clicks are firm but aperture setting is quite easily altered when using the knurled front ring for focusing. Reminder, only use the infinity lock lever for focusing to avoid this. Focusing is very easy and stays as set. Regarding size, the lens fits perfectly on my screwmount Leicas, that's why I bought this version of the lens. I have also tested it briefly with the Xpro3, where the FoV corresponds to a 42mm lens, no photos to show here as of yet.

Below is a quick test shot on film (taken at 1/30s f/2.8), expired Neopan Presto (400PR), developed in Ilford ID-11. Scanned with Nikon Z7II & Micro-Nikkor 55/2.8 on extension tube, Intrepid enlarger head as light source and converted in Lightroom Classic using Negative Lab Pro.

View attachment 4826094
@maddoc Thanks for sharing this nice sample. This lens seems to be sharp with only very mild distortion. Could you share more film pictures from this lens (without excessive post-editing that "sucks the life out of an image" please.) TIA.

@maddoc Thanks for sharing this nice sample. This lens seems to be sharp with only very mild distortion. Could you share more film pictures from this lens (without excessive post-editing that "sucks the life out of an image" please.) TIA.
Thank you! I will do after scanning more Film this weekend. BTW, no post-editing in my case. I only scan and that’s it. Contrast depends on the settings in Negative Lab Pro, my standard setting here is “Lab Standard” and sharpening is set to “scanning”. The camera is set to “Monochrome”

Voigtälnder 28mm f2.8 Color-Skopar​
DSC01264.jpg

September, 2023 - Yokohama, Japan

DSC01204.jpg

DSC01203.jpg

Have you tried to use this lens with one of your Fuji's? I think it would suit you better in combination with a cropped sensor. Cheers, OtL

Have you tried to use this lens with one of your Fuji's? I think it would suit you better in combination with a cropped sensor. Cheers, OtL

No, I haven't tried it but I'm thinking about it. I'd have to buy an adapter. Currently I'm still just thinking about it. :)

Thanks for the suggestion.

All the best,
Mike

Sorry for the late reply, I got distracted from photography by a research grant application deadline. Those are not photographs, which I would post in my Flickr or pBase accounts, more test-shots using the lens with film. Film was either Tri-X (with the II D, photo of the highway entrance gate) or EDU400 (relabeld Fomapan400, if memory serves me right, exposed using the Leica M7 and auto-exposure), both developed in ID-11 1:1. Scanning with Nikon Z7 II, FTZ II, extender ring, Micro-NIKKOR 55/2.8 lens at f/8.0, and slightly customized Nikon ES-1 slide adapter. Light source was the Intrepid Camera LED head from their enlarger in scanning mode. NEF files (taken in camera monochrome mode, manual exposure settings) converted in Lightroom Classic/Negative Lab Pro 2.4.2 using Lab Standard setting and finally exported to JPG with file-size maximum set to 10MB, resulting in 5 - 6.5 MB files. For upload here at RFF JPGs were further downsized to 1600 pixel width.

Attachments

• 202308-03-IID-400TX-28CS-014 copy.jpeg
    202308-03-IID-400TX-28CS-014 copy.jpeg
    344.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 202309-02-M7-EDU400-28CS-010 copy.jpeg
    202309-02-M7-EDU400-28CS-010 copy.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 23
  • 202309-02-M7-EDU400-28CS-023 copy.jpeg
    202309-02-M7-EDU400-28CS-023 copy.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
  • 202309-02-M7-EDU400-28CS-029 copy.jpeg
    202309-02-M7-EDU400-28CS-029 copy.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 26
Sorry for the late reply, I got distracted from photography by a research grant application deadline. Those are not photographs, which I would post in my Flickr or pBase accounts, more test-shots using the lens with film. Film was either Tri-X (with the II D, photo of the highway entrance gate) or EDU400 (relabeld Fomapan400, if memory serves me right, exposed using the Leica M7 and auto-exposure), both developed in ID-11 1:1. Scanning with Nikon Z7 II, FTZ II, extender ring, Micro-NIKKOR 55/2.8 lens at f/8.0, and slightly customized Nikon ES-1 slide adapter. Light source was the Intrepid Camera LED head from their enlarger in scanning mode. NEF files (taken in camera monochrome mode, manual exposure settings) converted in Lightroom Classic/Negative Lab Pro 2.4.2 using Lab Standard setting and finally exported to JPG with file-size maximum set to 10MB, resulting in 5 - 6.5 MB files. For upload here at RFF JPGs were further downsized to 1600 pixel width.
Thanks very much @maddoc for taking time to share these fine sample pictures despite your busy work. This Color Skopar seems to be a fine lens. Sharp, contrasty and very well-controlled distortion.

Impulsive as I am, I had pulled the trigger to get one black paint ltm version from eBay and it should reach me in the next few days. It was only AFTER I hit the buy-it-now then I managed to find some test samples from another forum, but it is already water under the bridge! It seems to be a lens nearly as good as the Leica 28mm Elmarit ASPH at a fraction of its price. So it is of good value. Those few little things where it is not as good as the Elmarit might bug me though. I will test it out thoroughly when I receive the lens and see if I could warm to it.

Back