Six Versions new Voigtlander 28mm F2.8 Aspherical - M & LTM !

Yokohama Chinatown​
DSC01180.jpg

Sony A7III, Voigtälnder 28mm f2.8 Color-Skopar Aspherical (Type I) VM lens
Kenko M-E Adapter
August, 2023 - Yokohama, Japan
Image is lower resolution than original​

Yokohama Chinatown
Girls stay cool with battery operated fans​
DSC01181.jpg

Kenko M-E Adapter

Yokohama Chinatown​
DSC01197.jpg

Kenko M-E Adapter

One from Yamashita Park​
DSC01207.jpg

Kenko M-E Adapter

damn, this is kind of a tough audience.

The late LTM Voigtlander 28/3.5 was an instant classic and much missed from the day it was discontinued, about 15 years ago.

Now a new much better 28/2.8 arrives in a choice of six tasty flavors and hardly any comments at all.

BTW, Fred Miranda found it a better lens overall than the Leica M 28/2.8 V2 at only $2800.
It probably is a really tough audience. Too many (eg. me) already have pretty good 28s - I have the Voigtlander 28/f1.9 Ultron and M-Hexanon 28/f2.8, for example.

Each are good in different ways. A new 28mm kind of makes me go: hmmm - would I use this instead of one of those? 🤔

…Mike

Yokohama Chinatown​
DSC01185.jpg

Kenko M-E Adapter

I received my copy of the LTM version this Monday. Shot a couple of frames with it already on film, need to scan. Here it is mounted on my M4 together with the Voigtländer 28mm metal VF.

I see you're using the 34mm Marumi UV filter too!

All the best,
Mike

It probably is a really tough audience. Too many (eg. me) already have pretty good 28s - I have the Voigtlander 28/f1.9 Ultron and M-Hexanon 28/f2.8, for example.

Each are good in different ways. A new 28mm kind of makes me go: hmmm - would I use this instead of one of those? 🤔

…Mike
Mike, so good to see you here after such a long time.

Yokohama Chinatown
Over 250 restaurants to choose from - Searching for the right one​
DSC01190.jpg

Kenko M-E Adapter

Yokohama Chinatown
Over 250 restaurants to choose from - Searching for the right one​
DSC01199.jpg

Kenko M-E Adapter

I have the Color-Skopar 28mm f3.5 LTM (2004?) in black paint. One of the most beautiful made (and optically superb) 28mm lenses I've seen so far. It would be great if anyone will do a comparison test with the new aspherical 28mm!

Erik.

Last edited:
Y Mike & Maddoc, can you give some general impressions of the lens? Admittedly photos viewed on a screen all look pretty good. How does the lens handle? How do you like the size....etc. Thank You.

Y Mike & Maddoc, can you give some general impressions of the lens? Admittedly photos viewed on a screen all look pretty good. How does the lens handle? How do you like the size....etc. Thank You.
First impression, handling and size reminds me a lot of the W-Nikkor-C 2.8 cm f/3.5. Aperture clicks are firm but aperture setting is quite easily altered when using the knurled front ring for focusing. Reminder, only use the infinity lock lever for focusing to avoid this. Focusing is very easy and stays as set. Regarding size, the lens fits perfectly on my screwmount Leicas, that's why I bought this version of the lens. I have also tested it briefly with the Xpro3, where the FoV corresponds to a 42mm lens, no photos to show here as of yet.

Below is a quick test shot on film (taken at 1/30s f/2.8), expired Neopan Presto (400PR), developed in Ilford ID-11. Scanned with Nikon Z7II & Micro-Nikkor 55/2.8 on extension tube, Intrepid enlarger head as light source and converted in Lightroom Classic using Negative Lab Pro.

202308-02-M4-400PR-50CRON-28CS-039 small.jpeg

Firstly, I concur with what Maddoc had to say.

Secondly... for me,

I like to shoot “in-close” street photography using scale focus at wide apertures on manual focus lenses. It’s a dynamic style of photography, everyone is moving, including me. With some lenses this is difficult to do while other lenses can be more forgiving.

After only one outing with my Voigtälnder 28mm f2.8 Color-Skopar Aspherical (Type I) VM lens I can tell it’s very forgiving. After a couple of shots I was able to find the sweet spot on the scale and get main subjects in focus at f2.8.

I can say the same thing for the Voigtälnder 40mm f2.8 Heliar Aspherical VM lens.

All the best,
Mike

If I didn't already have the 28/2 Ultron II I would have to have that type II, but the Ultron II is just amazing...

The 28mm f2.8 Color-Skopar is also pretty good at the far away stuff too!

Clouds over Yokohama Bay​
DSC01213.jpg

Kenko M-E Adapter

Back