Sony RX-100 - 1" sensor zoom compact

i might be off...but i think i'm going to try to sell my d200/lens and go for the little sony...it will do what i need and fit into my pocket...

Ronald, I have exactly the same thoughts as you in lots of ways, but the limitation is that it's still point and shoot size and interface - so you're holding it out in front of you, squinting to see the screen in bright sunlight, and if you have biggish hands it does feel very small.

As it happens, I have small hands ;)

Of course part of 'the hobby' is owning and using all sorts of quirky cameras, which I do with a passion. But looking at the kind of photography I do, this little gem could do most of it better than the cameras I have now, at least it seems that way. But I still left the NEX-3 at home today and went shooting with a Werra 3 and a Yashica Mat 124, with much expired film in it to boot, Left brain, right brain...

...it will do what i need and fit into my pocket...
My thoughts exactly. Being so small is a big AND :) Ordered one today. Cheapest I could find here in Australia was $629. Seems to be head and shoulders above all of the other Lumix,Powershot crowd, at a price of course!

I'm tempted to sell my x pro 1 and get this instead. The x pro essentially replaced my film cameras, and I don't care for that. I would rather use film and just digital occassionally, but I never carry both the x pro and a film camera because it is just too much gear for me. I could very easily carry a film camera and the rx 100 though - for occasional digital use. Obviously, I know the cameras are very different and I cannot expect similar performance out of them.

I bought this camera after reading Steve Huff's review. I had been looking for something more portable than my M6 and G2 and of course digital. This camera is amazing. Great low light, fast AF and IQ make this a keeper. I have been amazed at the shots I am getting. Worth the $650 in my opinion.

I bought this camera after reading Steve Huff's review. I had been looking for something more portable than my M6 and G2 and of course digital. This camera is amazing. Great low light, fast AF and IQ make this a keeper. I have been amazed at the shots I am getting. Worth the $650 in my opinion.

Why not share some photos? :)

It will not replace your D200 in as far as output but IMO it's a very very good pocketable camera.

TVL1-XL.jpg

the kit has sold locally...provided the buyer shows up...i might be past the point of no return...

Joe

I have had mine now for a little over two weeks... My gold standard for p&s was the lx3.
-The rx100 in terms of picture IQ is better.
-The high ISO performance rivals is the best I have ever seen in a APS-c.. I have set auto iso up to 1600.. The lx3 was good up to 400..
-the menu setup is a bit of fresh air compared to the crappy one on the nex5n
-af speed fast enough that I cannot tell difference between it and my Nikon dslr
-overall smaller than my lx3, u can really put it in a jean pocket.
-LCD has no wash out problem so far in bright sun light

My only wish was for a 24 wide end... If that meant giving up the long end, I would have been ok with that since I mainly use 75 and wider.. The lx3 is a 24-60.. Anyway I am learning the 28 perspective...

Btw.. I thought u had two dslr bodies.. So to me it was a trade off of backup capability for a camera u can have with u all the time and essentially good enough iQ wise that it can be your backup for any of your APS-c cameras.

Anyway good luck
Gary

Well, I posted my reasons above. Haven't decided yet. Sigh.

My bad.. I forgot about the earlier post. I still use film as well but for b&w, for color work I am now 100% digital. I still have color film in freezer but not sure when I will ever use it now.

Gary

kit sold...i did have 2 bodies but have now sold the entire nikon outfit i put together...i think i enjoy putting together kits and then selling them...and i never make a profit...lucky to break even most times.

i really liked the lx3 when i had one and if it had fit into a pocket better i might still have it.
i loved the x100 too but i am wanting a true pocket camera this time round.
the rd1s are settled as permanent kit and back up to each other so it's an af mostly auto experience i want and while the d200 was a nice camera it did not fit any of my current pockets.

Back