Sony RX-100 - 1" sensor zoom compact

according to sony canada the rx100 is shipping out in 2 days...so i'll wait and play with it in person.
i sometimes have a quick reaction to gear after handling it so when buying new i like to handle it first if i can.

knex

7756442046_707599d22e_b.jpg

I handled one for the first time today at the Sony store in Palo Alto. Overall impression was very favorable. Nice build and EVF. Menus would take a little getting used to (for me). Image IQ looked quite nice.

If I had a gripe it would be the lack of a nice little mini grip or ridge on the front. It felt a little slick in the hand to me.

Overall, very nice!

still getting used to mine...love the handling so far, think i have the menu down...i sometimes hit the record button instead of the menu button though...tomorrow it gets a better workout.

7751032910_3425c27dc0_c.jpg

Joe
Same here.. That video record button is the only thing that always gets me on the Sony cameras. I wish they either implemented a disable for that button or a two stage setup where u have to hold it down for more than a couple of seconds to start t but the second press immediately stops it or put video as a quick menu option and let us reprogram the button for something else.

Have fun with it
Gary

I think my only problem with the RX100 is the handling. My friend ordered the Richard Franiec RX100 grip, and man ... nobody should be using this camera without this wonderful piece of metal. Haha. Makes a world of difference in handling.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/07/19/Sony-RX100-accessory-grip-from-Richard-Franeic

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/pimping_the_rx100.shtml

i have been looking at that grip and it seems the perfect solution...except that i like the lines of the camera better w/o the grip...i'll probably end up with one eventually.

i (very briefly) got to play with the camera today and my initial impressions are very mixed. it seems like a great camera, but i hate the ergonomics and even compared to my GRD it felt kind of... fragile? like a toy. probably didn't help that I handled a 5lb Mamiya 645AFD (*drools*) a minute before.

i'm undecided about the camera now, though. i never before thought that ergonomics would be such a deal-breaker. at the very least the camera would need the grip mentioned above. on the other hand, i could get a new GRDIV for $450. sigh.

fragile?
i would never think to call it that...seems very sturdy to me and hefty for it's size...i think the grip will make a big difference.
i bought a longer lanyard and hang the camera around my neck like a large pendant...just till the grip arrives...

Back