Japan Tokyo meetup

Something completely different: I need to have some film developed before going back. What is a good place? I have once done it at BicCamera two years ago. Is this good, and how fast can I get medium format developed, including at least small prints?

Thanks and best regards!

Could also check in Yodobashi which is just around the corner from the place Jon suggested.

In Yodobashi they have some massive machinery for this stuff - I usually do everything on my own so don't know how good they are but should be ok!
Do you speak Japanese? If not - we could meet there and have this done first. If we meet Friday - you could go beforehand and try to speak very slowly and with using as few words as possible. I am sure you know the drill :)

jonmanjiro said:
I am but there's actually a meetup with Tom A and Tuulikki on the 24th, so I'm wondering if it we could combine the meetups. The more the merrier and all that.

Sunday I am not available unfortunately so I can't join that meeting. Would have been nice meeting Tom A though for sure :(

Ben

Try Kitamura Camera in Shinjuku, on a corner 50 or so metres from MAP Camera (store 1). They'll even process E6 (135 or 120) in a hour for you. Not sure about prints though.

Edit: No.5 on this website.

They went back to 1 hour developing time? That is good news! The last time I had my E6 films developed (Kitamura, Shinjuku) it took about 2 days (135) and one week (120). This was in November last year for the 135 and in March this year for the 120.

They went back to 1 hour developing time? That is good news! The last time I had my E6 films developed (Kitamura, Shinjuku) it took about 2 days (135) and one week (120). This was in November last year for the 135 and in March this year for the 120.

ええ? That's news to me :eek:
My information is out of date then as it's been about 12 months since I last got film developed there. That must mean there are no options left for one hour E6 development...

Hi guys,
I've just read about this thread and I live in Yokohama so I'd be up for a meet-up in case you're going for beers somewhere in Tokyo this week-end.

Best,
Giovanni

Hi guys,
I've just read about this thread and I live in Yokohama so I'd be up for a meet-up in case you're going for beers somewhere in Tokyo this week-end.

Best,
Giovanni

Great - at this point we are waiting for SamShio to get back to us - once we have his word we'll decide on Friday night or Saturday afternoon.

There's option #2 with Jon (from above) if you guys can't make it either on Friday or Saturday.

Looking forward to the meeting and to the beers!
Ben

Hello,

In Yodobashi they have some massive machinery for this stuff - I usually do everything on my own so don't know how good they are but should be ok!
Do you speak Japanese?

少し... Should be enough to make myself clear. I need more training anyway.

But thank you for the offer to help. If I get only blank faces to my requests, I will ask again... ;)

Stephan

Hello, 少し... Should be enough to make myself clear. I need more training anyway. But thank you for the offer to help. If I get only blank faces to my requests, I will ask again... ;) Stephan

Sounds good :)
Any word from Sam? RFF stopped sending notifications and I wonder if he checks the forum while traveling....

Ben

A little bit of picture taking won't hurt. Maybe you have some secret spot... Must not be too long, but as photographers, one gets easy acquainted while taking pictures, if you like. A nice bar or restaurant for food and drink afterwards would be great.

A little bit of picture taking won't hurt. Maybe you have some secret spot... Must not be too long, but as photographers, one gets easy acquainted while taking pictures, if you like. A nice bar or restaurant for food and drink afterwards would be great.
not sure about secret spots but we can definitely go for a walk. I am free from 4 and could meet at 4:30PM.

Depending on what you want to see, we could start in Harajuku and check the Meiji Shrine, Saturdays they have lots of weddings. Not sure if at the time we get there it'll still be on but there's a good chance. Nice to see a traditional wedding I think.
Then walk a little in the crazy area of Harajuku then onto Shibuya and finally end up at a local Izakaya with a nice crowd to chill out after the walk.

If you have other areas in mind, let's do it just let me know.

Ben

Saturday sounds great. What time and where? I am staying in Asakusa area. But having never been to Tokyo before, I have no idea where that is.

Saturday sounds great. What time and where? I am staying in Asakusa area. But having never been to Tokyo before, I have no idea where that is.

That's a pretty good place actually! Old and traditional. If you don't have a chance to visit Kyoto you must look around there real good!

We could also stay there and look around / have beers later. Ueno and Asakusa are near and both rustic and interesting. Shibuya and Harajuku are more hip and trendy but still plenty interesting things to see. The good thing about the latter is the fact we might catch a traditional wedding.

Up to you guys!

Ben

Then lets take Asakusa, because I already have been at Meiji (and did catch a wedding...) and Sunday I will go to Yoyogi-Park, so I'm at Harajuku anyway. It's my fourth time in Tokyo and most "usual" photo spots are already known to me. Asakusa ist nice, I think.

Where should we meet? Some entry/exit of JR station or is there another good spot?

Then lets take Asakusa, because I already have been at Meiji (and did catch a wedding...) and Sunday I will go to Yoyogi-Park, so I'm at Harajuku anyway. It's my fourth time in Tokyo and most "usual" photo spots are already known to me. Asakusa ist nice, I think.

Where should we meet? Some entry/exit of JR station or is there another good spot?

Great - let's do that!
Are you (and the rest) connected to internet while moving around? If so we could do Whatsapp messages or iMessage whatever. If not, we can just call.

Whoever is coming, please drop me a PM and I'll circulate my number / email address for each contact.

As for meeting, let's aim for 16:30 at Exit one of Asakusa Metro station. Please be careful, there are two Asakusa stations. One - which is where we meet - is the station of the Tokyo Metro line. The other minor station - which is NOT where we meet - is the Asakusa Tsukuba Express station.
Just be sure you are riding one of the Tokyo Metro lines like the Ginza line and not the Tsukuba Express line.

https://www.google.co.jp/maps/place...1s0x60188ec6a7f4d25b:0xcb34261ce4cdbbcb?hl=en

Here's a map of the exits, let's meet just as you leave the station at Exit 1.

As for the itinerary I guess we'll just have to see as we go. For those of you who are new to Japan you might want to see the Sensoji temple and maybe the river side as well.
Then we'll take a stroll and see the area where Japanese restaurants buy their Kitchenware (Kappa bashi i think it's called) and then just make our way over to the Ueno side and look around there. By the time we'll be hungry and we'll decide to either go for a quick bite and few beers in Ueno or head over to my original destination in Shibuya. While we walk I'll explain the choices and we'll just do as you feel like :)

I am pretty flexible, the only limit is to make the last train around midnight.

See you soon!
Ben

Back