Vince Lupo's Mapping the West

Vince, your work is inspirational. Do you make your own prints or farm that out. All very beautifully exposed and presented. Also - how much time do you spend in Baltimore? I live in Fredericksburg, VA and would really like to meet you in person.

Vince, your work is inspirational. Do you make your own prints or farm that out. All very beautifully exposed and presented. Also - how much time do you spend in Baltimore? I live in Fredericksburg, VA and would really like to meet you in person.

Many thanks for your kind words! Yes I print everything myself, as well as do all my matting and (when necessary) framing. In the case of this show, I sent them the matted prints and they had the 20"x24" frames.

I live just outside Baltimore, so I'm here pretty much always (unless I'm on the road for work etc).

Just came back from 3 weeks out West and finally managed to integrate the 'Mapping the West' project with my commercial website:

http://www.directiononeinc.com/mapping-the-west/

I think it's a much better presentation than the Flickr album, and finally merges this work with the commercial site. I'm sure it will need some tweaks along the way, but I think it's a pretty good start.

Just came back from a 9-day stay at farms in southern New Mexico and northwestern Texas. It was an incredible opportunity, and was the result of a chance meeting in Santa Fe earlier this year.

I think some of these photos are a good addition to the Mapping the West album, and a few will hopefully be incorporated into a show I'm having at The Creative Alliance in Baltimore in November. There are also a couple of shots in the mix here that aren't from the farm, but are from the southern New Mexico / northwestern Texas area, taken this past week.

Blast Off
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Jim and Harvest
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Harvest
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Number 13
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Hill Farm4
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Hill Farm5
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Hill Farm6
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Dell City3
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Jose
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Hill Farm7
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Jose3a
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Hill Farm8
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Hill Farm9
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

The Flooding
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Hill Farm11
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Congratulations Vince. I'd love to see your prints in person. Looks like it's time to take the family truckster on a road trip.

Congratulations Vince. I'd love to see your prints in person. Looks like it's time to take the family truckster on a road trip.

Many thanks Steve -- I've only printed a few so far, but what I have printed looks pretty good (Epson 3880 prints on Exhibition Fiber). The prints are generally 11"x16" on 13"x19" paper, matted and framed 20"x24".

Hill Farm Prints
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

I've been enjoying these on Flickr the last couple of weeks, Vince. You have a mastery of composition, and use of available light. It is inspiring to say the least.

PF

Many thanks guys -- the great thing about my time there was the incredible openness and welcoming I was given there. At first they were a bit cautious about my intentions, but they seemed to immediately receive me with open arms and let me do pretty much what I wanted. It's the start of a great relationship and I think can only expand and deepen.

This trip was different in that I concentrated my efforts in one specific region of New Mexico, rather than wandering around the state as I normally tend to do. Plus I had to go on their schedule of events, which sometimes resulted in shooting in challenging lighting conditions (like at high noon, into the night) and in one particular case, in the pouring rain.

I'm hoping to be back out there for the December pecan harvest - we'll see if my wife goes along with that plan!

The Hill's
by Vince Lupo, on Flickr

Great photography, and I admire your dedication and courage in approaching people.
I hope my honesty is not unwelcome when I say that I think you should go easier on the clarity slider or sharpening or whatever local contrast enhancement you use. Some faces look ghostly and there are halos in some pictures, like the second one in post no. 72. - does the sheet metal wall in the middle really get lighter in tone towards the edges?

Great photography, and I admire your dedication and courage in approaching people.
I hope my honesty is not unwelcome when I say that I think you should go easier on the clarity slider or sharpening or whatever local contrast enhancement you use. Some faces look ghostly and there are halos in some pictures, like the second one in post no. 72. - does the sheet metal wall in the middle really get lighter in tone towards the edges?

Honesty is always welcome -- my ego can certainly take it and I appreciate the feedback. Years ago I had a teacher in undergrad (Dave Heath) who'd make many a student cry in his class, so I think I've been well-seasoned in the art of critique.

Yeah that wall actually does get lighter -- there's an overhang that's out of the picture which casts a shadow into that corner behind José, so as the corrugated metal wall goes to the right it's getting brighter.

I've always been pretty conscious of those clarity/structure sliders (in Silver Efex Pro there are actually five of them), so I don't think I go crazy (I like the 'less is more' approach). And yes I do recognize the whole 'halo' thing -- whether going overboard with the clarity (I use PhotoShop and Silver Efex Pro, BTW) or by going in reverse with the soft contrast adjuster. Another potential issue is that Newton Ring effect that can pop up in cloudless skies by going too far with either the clarity or the dynamic brightness in Silver Efex. I don't think I see any haloing or the Newton Ring in any of my shots -- many times I'm actually going into negative clarity, which makes haloing even less likely. Plus that phenomenon does not jump out at me at all when I print (if it ever did, I'd definitely make adjustments and reprint). I think I'm pretty attuned to that - at least I hope I am after all these years! If you can point to specific halos in any of my photos, I'd love to know which ones. I could see how someone might think the skies, for example, are exaggerated, but if you've spent any time at all in the West, you'll know that they do get very dramatic and amazing skies, and storms can often been seen from miles away and never come your way. You'd think, for example, if I went clarity crazy with the Evening Baling photo in post #66, the haloing would stick out like a sore thumb in that sky, but there isn't any there. In another photo, Into the Storm, Jay was walking out to check the alfalfa in preparation to bale hay later that evening, and that intense storm was way off in the north, but I don't think it ever came to us (got a few sprinkles, but nothing like what was being unleashed miles away). And that sky was like that.

In some of the shots - like the one of Carson in post #66, it's the middle of the day and everyone is wearing baseball hats. So from the nose up, every person's face disappears into darkness. In that particular shot, I isolated the shadow area of his face and adjusted it so that you could actually see that vacant expression of his hidden under the brim of his cap (I could see, however, that perhaps I overcompensated on that one image). However in the photo of Raimundo in post #65, I chose to let the shadow on his face stay as-is (and ironically that was in the early morning).

Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of shooting only at times of the day out there that photographically suit me (early morning and late in the day like most of us prefer), as I have to defer to their schedule of events (things do often take place in the middle of the day which is, as you know, probably the worst time to take photos). And I'm certainly not about to ask people to take their hats off in that New Mexico sunshine, so I have to work within those parameters and roll with it. I'm just honoured to be allowed into their world and to be trusted that I'll depict them in a respectful manner.

Actually I was wrong -- there is one photo here that has a halo -- a gigantic one, in fact. The last shot in post #65 :)

Back