Voigtländer Ultron 21mm f/1.8

Got mine few days ago and am very impressed with the build quality and how the lens balances with the camera so well, the fixed hood does make it a bit bigger than it needed to be, but it feels nice.

Sharp enough wide open, I really like the rendering and didn't pay attention to distortion at all. Close range shots below are at .7m, gotta do Tom's strap measuring mark for shorter distances.

Quite remarkable lens indeed. I consider buying it. I wish there were more posts here. Especially, after I saw http://www.flickr.com/photos/hhackbarth/11036232333/ I read this lens suffers from field curvature, but I wondered if this was common to all lenses or this was just a bad copy? I mean, in this example is rather obvious with the buildings in the right back became sharper while they were supposed to be more out of focus.

Quite remarkable lens indeed. I consider buying it. I wish there were more posts here. Especially, after I saw http://www.flickr.com/photos/hhackbarth/11036232333/ I read this lens suffers from field curvature, but I wondered if this was common to all lenses or this was just a bad copy? I mean, in this example is rather obvious with the buildings in the right back became sharper while they were supposed to be more out of focus.

I think this lens is as issue-free as it could be. Let's look at the facts:

-sharp wide open, sharper stopped down (we're talking about a f/1.8 ultrawide here, don't forget that)
-mechanically really solid and well made, i don't see a difference between my leica lenses and this one
(from a small test it is sharper than the 21 summilux, both at f/2)
-very low distortion, not only compared to ultra wides
-vignetting is well controlled
-lens is really good regarding flare
-reasonably sized and priced for the specs

Given those facts I think this lens is a win in every way. It's not for you if you like it smaller/lighter and certainly not as sharp as the Super Elmar f/3.4 ASPH. Otherwise I think you can only take that lens from my cold dead hands... ;)

Used the lens for some months now on the M8.2. Fantastic - does landscapes and (environmental) portraits equally. SHARP wide open and nice OOF rendering. Took a while to get used to 28mm FOV. Now its the only lens I use regularly.

L1000019.jpg

L1001631.jpg

L1001483.jpg

Amazing photos, Peter!

I had the chance to shoot with that lens recently and I also was thrilled by its performance.

I absolutely love this lens. Like most Voigtlander lenses, I think it balances it's imperfections very well. It has beautiful character and provides the photographer with the ability to make images that are not possible with slower wide angle lenses.

Bee and Ross by Jim Fischer, on Flickr

At the Theater by Jim Fischer, on Flickr

Jenny and Mondeuse by Jim Fischer, on Flickr

083 by Jim Fischer, on Flickr

Jenny by Jim Fischer, on Flickr

055 by Jim Fischer, on Flickr

Jenny at Dallas Motor-Vu Drive-in by Jim Fischer, on Flickr

It seems a lovely lens... I have a local deal (500 EUR) - as new with box and papers... It is so tempting, but I already have 21/4... Decisions, decisions...

It seems a lovely lens... I have a local deal (500 EUR) - as new with box and papers... It is so tempting, but I already have 21/4... Decisions, decisions...

I had both, and they complement each other well. The f4 super tiny daytime lens, and the f1.8 can be used at night without tripod or pushing!
Eventually sold the f1.8 to fund other stuff - simply because I got more money for it.
Will buy again some day!

I just got this lens and I think its great! Only took a few pics today, but love how it draws! Many pics here influenced me to buy one. I think we should have a dedicated thread for the images taken with it!
Here are my first samples:

EPSN0885.jpg

EPSN0887.jpg

EPSN0892.jpg

EPSN0896.jpg

Back