Voigtlander 50/2.5 Color Skopar

Thanks, Stewart and Ralph, for the pics of the lens. I've ordered my lens in black (the AU importer's last black lens). And Stewart, that photo of the scene down the roadway and across the valley is very pleasing - and certainly sharp and detailed. Was the light that contrasty, or is that characteristic of the lens/film/processing? Regarding hoods - how does this lens handle flare? Is the optional squared-off hood an advantage? Thanks!

I have only shot the two rolls in mixed lighting, partly sunny day. I did not see any flare in my prints with the stock hood. I was wondering too when I saw Stewart's hood. I am hopeful though that the littie Skopar ring will be enough because the lens is so compact. I have not seen any mention of flare problems when I was researching the lens.

The lens is a very high contrast lens and you better do not stop down more than f/8, when diffraction unsharpness starts to occur. The best shade for it is the classic Leitz 12585, to your surprise it will fit perfectly. In close-up the lens performs at its best. When shooting B&W you better do not use old Leitz lenses on the same roll; the difference in contrast is too big. Decrease developing time by 20% to control the contrast when you are used to shoot old Leitz lenses. This lens never flares.
Enjoy your new lens. I've used it for many years and it is still one of my favorites.

Erik.

Last edited:
Voigtländer Color Skopar 50mm f/2.5, Leica M2, Tmax400.

Erik.

50523804441_8422df2b83_b.jpg

Last edited:
Many nice photos in this thread! :)

Anybody care to share some photos wide open and preferably close up?

I am curious as to how the bokeh of the lens is. Hoping it is similar to the 35/2.5 which I love.

Just ordered the last one that is sold in Australia. I have seen enough samples of this lens to tell me that it's good enough. Plus, the compact size and looks are important factors.

Some really fine shots in this thread, guys; doubt mine measure up but these two were done with a Leica M2, 50 Skopar. First one uses Pan-F in Diafine, second is Fuji NPZ 800. I'm not a frequent user of 50mm, yet this is an attractive lens for a number of reasons. Compact, inexpensive, well-made, and with a pleasant character. The complexity of the 7-element design is surprising for an f/2.5 lens.

U77I1201338022.SEQ.0.jpg

U77I1092973144.SEQ.0.jpg

Last edited:
Guys...do I need some kind of adaptor to fit this 50/2.5 onto my M2? If so, do I need to specify a particular type? Tnx.

gems

gems

I´ve used the 2,5/50 quite a bit on a Canon P (or two). Loved it, don´t really know where to find samples. An alternative in my book would be the Nokton 1,5 - which is bigger by all means, but later/smaller than the Canon (still; te point would be gone, I guess). I miss the 2,5/35 pancake even more. That was truly lovely - I traded for the 1,4/35 because of the extra speed.
RFluhver; you´d need a normal LTM to M adapter (50mm).

Two wide open shots, plenty sharp enough for me, and great bokeh, and focuses to 0.75m... I'd say it's one of the more underrated CV lenses.

just received my 50 2,5 from cameraquest :)
it took it four days to cross the ocean, it took 7 days for the post office to advice me to pick it up, the last meters are always the hardest

This one of those lenses I've been eyeing with interest. I have the 35mm version and like it be it that sometimes I might find it maybe a bit too contrasty for b&w.

Back