Voigtlander Nokton 50mm F1 ASPH

KismetSky

Established
Local time
5:21 AM
I hadn't seen any topics on this one yet. Here's the product page on Voigtlander's site:

https://www.cosina.co.jp/voigtlander...f1-aspherical/

¥ 225000 is about $2000 USD.
0.9m close focus
Comes with the reversible hood
62mm filter size, 55mm from tip to mount
484g puts it about 140g heavier than their f1.2 but 200g or so lighter than the 0.95 competitors

Update:
$1799 USD
https://shop.cameraquest.com/voigtl...s/voigtlander-50mm-f/1.0-leica-m-nokton-asph/
https://shop.cameraquest.com/voigtl...oigtlander-50mm-f/1.0-leica-m-nokton-deposit/

L-VM-50_1_01.jpg

L-VM-50_1_02.jpg

50_1_VM_LD-jp.jpg

I skipped the 40mm 1.2 and almost pulled the trigger on the 50mm 1.2. I'm sure it will be a great performer, this might be it!

What an exciting announcement from Cosina. Only recently (starting with the Nokton 21mm I believe?) they started producing VM lenses with floating groups. Now, most all their fast lenses are designed with floating elements. And now this new VM lens incorporating a ground aspheric element, bringing tech they introduced in their M4/3 line to a VM lens. Maybe in the near future we will see them put floating group and ground aspheric tech in a newly designed Nokton 35mm f1.2. That would be a killer lens.

I would expect that an F1.0 lens is going to have some focus shift by design. It will not be much, but without it: the DOF at F1.0 would be so razor thin that the lens would not be practical in use unless you did nothing but take pictures of rulers or fence posts. I would be more concerned about vignetting at F1.0. The rear group extends into the mount.

I find it interesting that in the 50/1.2 and 50/1.5 Cosina calls out the special glass used for one of the elements, in addition to aspherical surfaces. It is not specifically labeled in the 50/1.0.

It will be a big lens. I have the 50mm f1.1 and I like it very much, optically. But I hardly use it. Why? It is so big and it weights 451 g, not much for such a big lens, but ...

Erik.

0.9m close focus
Comes with the reversible hood
62mm filter size, 55mm from tip to mount
484g

I also own the CV 50/1.1. It is a heavy lens, as you have said, Erik.

What an exciting announcement from Cosina. Only recently (starting with the Nokton 21mm I believe?) they started producing VM lenses with floating groups. Now, most all their fast lenses are designed with floating elements. And now this new VM lens incorporating a ground aspheric element, bringing tech they introduced in their M4/3 line to a VM lens. Maybe in the near future we will see them put floating group and ground aspheric tech in a newly designed Nokton 35mm f1.2. That would be a killer lens.

According to the German Voigtlander distributor (Ringfoto), the 50/1 is a floating design:

Dies wurde durch die Verwendung einer speziell geschliffenen Frontlinse aus einem Glasmaterial mit einem hohen Brechungsindex erreicht (Grinding Aspherical Lens). Somit konnte die Linsenkonfiguration vereinfacht werden ohne Abstriche bei der Bildqualität einzugehen und die Länge des Objektivs auf 55 mm begrenzt werden. Darüber hinaus kommen Floating-Elements zum Einsatz, d.h. eine bestimmte Gruppe von Linsen wird je nach Aufnahmeabstand in die optimale Position gebracht, um eine durchgehend klare und jederzeit kompromisslose Bildschärfe zu gewährleisten.

This was achieved by using a specially ground front lens made of a glass material with a high refractive index (Grinding Aspherical Lens). Thus, the lens configuration could be simplified without compromising the image quality and the length of the lens could be limited to 55 mm. In addition, floating elements are used, i.e. a certain group of lenses is brought into the optimal position depending on the recording distance in order to guarantee consistently clear and uncompromising image sharpness at all times.

https://www.voigtlaender.de/objektiv...-mm-11-nokton/

HOWEVER, floating elements are not mentioned on the Cosina Voigtlander website. Neither in Japanese or English. There has been some discussion about this over at Fred Miranda and apparently Fred confirmed with Stephen that it is a floating design....

Ringfoto also have a YouTube video about the lens with a few sample images, testing on the Fuji GFX medium format mount (to determine if it will cover the sensor - it doesn't), adapted to a Sony with close focusing adapter to determine that MFD can be reduced to 43cm, a bit of bokeh (the expected oblong/cats eyes into the image periphery)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hATRO8YD5pM&t=1s

I suggest skipping the first 5 minutes.

For those (like me) who don't like long-winded video 'reviews' below are some screengrabs of the pertinent info:

This is the 50/1's coverage on the Fuji GFX sensor.

The next two are adapted to Sony with close focus adapter focused to 43cm. The image behind him is what the camera is seeing via live view to give you an idea of image quality at such close distance. Some SA softness but it's not too bad. Also doesn't appear to have much obvious LoCA in this situation.

A couple examples of OOF specular light sources to show how the blur looks across various parts of the frame. As expected, truncation into oblong/cats eye shapes off-axis.

The next few are some of his example photos, both full image and zoomed in.

Do you now prefer the CV 50/1.0 or the CV Heliar 50/1.5? Why?

I'm not going for the Heliar 50/1.5 as I have the 50/1.5 Nokton V2 for my compact modern lens.

I've been shooting with the 50/1.2 Nokton. It is a superb lens. Sharp, fast, and well balanced. Not any bigger than my classic Nikon F-Mount 50/1.4's.

I like the 50/1.1 Nokton. I adjusted the RF cam using 1 later of copper tape to suit my shooting. On the M Monochrom- it's especially good. I learned to use a UV filter with it on the M9 to cut purple fringing caused by the M9 being overly sensitive to UV light.

But- this new lens is a 50/1.0.

According to the German Voigtlander distributor (Ringfoto), the 50/1 is a floating design:

Dies wurde durch die Verwendung einer speziell geschliffenen Frontlinse aus einem Glasmaterial mit einem hohen Brechungsindex erreicht (Grinding Aspherical Lens). Somit konnte die Linsenkonfiguration vereinfacht werden ohne Abstriche bei der Bildqualität einzugehen und die Länge des Objektivs auf 55 mm begrenzt werden. Darüber hinaus kommen Floating-Elements zum Einsatz, d.h. eine bestimmte Gruppe von Linsen wird je nach Aufnahmeabstand in die optimale Position gebracht, um eine durchgehend klare und jederzeit kompromisslose Bildschärfe zu gewährleisten.

This was achieved by using a specially ground front lens made of a glass material with a high refractive index (Grinding Aspherical Lens). Thus, the lens configuration could be simplified without compromising the image quality and the length of the lens could be limited to 55 mm. In addition, floating elements are used, i.e. a certain group of lenses is brought into the optimal position depending on the recording distance in order to guarantee consistently clear and uncompromising image sharpness at all times.

https://www.voigtlaender.de/objektiv...-mm-11-nokton/

HOWEVER, floating elements are not mentioned on the Cosina Voigtlander website. Neither in Japanese or English. There has been some discussion about this over at Fred Miranda and apparently Fred confirmed with Stephen that it is a floating design....

Ringfoto also have a YouTube video about the lens with a few sample images, testing on the Fuji GFX medium format mount (to determine if it will cover the sensor - it doesn't), adapted to a Sony with close focusing adapter to determine that MFD can be reduced to 43cm, a bit of bokeh (the expected oblong/cats eyes into the image periphery)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hATRO8YD5pM&t=1s

I suggest skipping the first 5 minutes.

Yeah, I don't see mention of floating elements on Cosina's product info or announcement pages. It is curious that they don't mention it. I saw mention of it on the dc.watch.impress article and didn't look into it any further than that.

Back