Voigtlander Nokton 50mm F1 ASPH

What does this do? Help with the focus?
"I added one layer of Copper Tape to the Cam for the Digital Leicas."

L1005693.jpg

Beautiful picture, Brian!

Ken Rockwell is an old chatterbox. He is not hindered by any knowledge. He sucks everything out of his thumb.

Erik.

I don't believe what he says, Brian.

I tend to try things first-hand, get odd results, look for the cause. The 50/1.1 is a real "Rodney Dangerfield" lens. I've had mine for over 10 years now. Never bothered to convert the Canon 50/0.95 to Leica mount as it is so good.

What does this do? Help with the focus?
"I added one layer of Copper Tape to the Cam for the Digital Leicas."

This corrects the focus for Digital, the sensor sits flat. I found both Noktons slightly back-focused on the M8, M9, and M Monochrom.

correction: I first used the 7Artisans 50/1.1 to take photos of seagulls outside Joe Patti's.
Now, I have just placed the Nokton 50/1.1 on the M10. Time for some testing. I will return to take photos of the birds.

If I had a Pixii- would probably use the 7Art 50/1.1 for my super-speed. Center-Sharp.

I do have that lens and have used it on the Pixii a bit. Rendering is just as Brian says. But even though this is one of the more svelte ultra-wide-aperture lenses, at the closest focusing distance of 0.7 mm the barrel extends far enough to cut off about half the rangefinder patch. Plus, it's just fat enough around the base to make it hard to flick the release catch if I've trimmed my thumbnail recently.

I realize this is 100% my fault for getting involved with a camera that was deliberately designed to discourage use of lenses too extreme for the short-base rangefinder to focus accurately! But it does make me sympathetic to the earlier poster who was complaining about so many of the more desirable new lenses being on the chonky side...

Click image for larger version  Name:	P0001630.jpg Views:	0 Size:	112.9 KB ID:	4765358

Yeah, I overexposed the candle flame, so sue me...

I do have that lens and have used it on the Pixii a bit. Rendering is just as Brian says. But even though this is one of the more svelte ultra-wide-aperture lenses, at the closest focusing distance of 0.7 mm the barrel extends far enough to cut off about half the rangefinder patch. Plus, it's just fat enough around the base to make it hard to flick the release catch if I've trimmed my thumbnail recently.

The Canon 50mm F1.2 at Min focus is shorter than the 50/1.1 at Infinity, about to the end of the aperture ring of the 50/1.1. On the Leica CL (real one) at min focus the filter is just visible in the RF Patch. BUT- The 50/1.5 Nokton V2 is much better suited to the CL.

As soon as I get this lens, will put it though some paces. The 50/1.2 Nokton is a fantastic lens. The F1.0 adds floating optics to the design. I have high expectations!

CV has been offering several outstanding 50mm lenses for Leica mount cameras. It can be unclear what the differences are between a CV 50/1 50/1.1 50/1.2 50/1.5 (several versions) and 50/1 APO. Then there are the Heliar 50/2 and 50/1.5. Wasn't there also the excellent 50/3.5? Has anyone made side by side comparisons of these 50mm lenses?

> It can be unclear what the differences are between a CV 50/1 50/1.1 50/1.2 50/1.5 (several versions) and 50/2 APO.

I'll take lenses for $1799.

The Answer is "Cosina Voigtlander 50/1.1, 50/1.2, 50/1.5LTM, 50/1.5 v2, and 50/2 APO".

What are Five 50mm CV lenses that Brian will be testing against his CV 50mm F1.0 when it arrives this month?

I have a Heliar 50/2 and 50//1.5. Then there is a CV 50/2 APO, 50/1.0, (soon) 60/1.1, 60/1.5.

I'm intrigued and optimistic, but I think I'll wait for the initial deliveries and real-life reports before pulling the trigger myself.

Interesting to note, I bought my first f/1 Noctilux in around 1998 for $1,500. I miss those days!

Back