Voigtlander Nokton 50mm F1 ASPH

This is deeply weird to me. You're complaining about products you don't like and will never use even though products you do like and will never use are still in production. You're complaining about a trend that is, factually and by your own admission, not coming at the expense of the trend you like.

Personal quirks, we all have them different only in degree and direction. I will say that the development of mirrorless has brought about a confluence of the traditional RF and SLR form factors. I’ve always liked the RF form factor in a camera, no mirror box, but prefer TTL viewing and focusing (thus you see my early interest in the Olympus Pen F half frame camera). My comment was that super fast, and thus super large, super heavy, super expensive lenses get all the attention, but I’m more excited when much smaller and lighter and less expensive lenses are developed. Since I’m using MFT a tiny 17mm, manual focus, f2 would appeal to me much more than the same focal length in a kilo buck, heavy, big as a pop can f.95.
Now days I keep my eyes on one of the Chinese companies, they are more likely to develop such a lens. The TTArtisan 17mm f1.4 looks nice, but is over 50mm long and I’d happily give up a stop to have the same focal length in a lens no more than 19mm long, not including the lens hood.

Comparing the new 50/1.0 Nokton with the Canon 50/0.95 is like comparing the 50/1.2 Nokton with the Canon 50/1.2. Very different rendering. The price of the Canon 50/0.95 has gone to insane heights. Mine was $200 in Canon 7 mount 20 years ago.

I'm pretty much made up my mind to get the new Nokton as soon as it is available for pre-order. I can do a comparison.

Who else put their order in?

I was out shooting with the 50/1.2 Nokton all day. It is nice. I need a day trip to compare the 50/1.2 Nokton with the Canon 50/1.2. My 50/0.95 is in Canon 7 mount, so that will be on film.

Comparing the new 50/1.0 Nokton with the Canon 50/0.95 is like comparing the 50/1.2 Nokton with the Canon 50/1.2. Very different rendering. The price of the Canon 50/0.95 has gone to insane heights. Mine was $200 in Canon 7 mount 20 years ago.

I'm pretty much made up my mind to get the new Nokton as soon as it is available for pre-order. I can do a comparison.

Really looking forward to that Brian.

Finally a decent f1.0 in M mount which is not a Leica ( out of my price range). Very happy with my ultron II 28mm f2. Lets see when this arrives in the UK.

A modern 50/1.1 may give similar looking images but there may be some subtle differences that are seen. The old Canon 50/1.2 should be different in performance, but the CV 50/1.1 and even the less costly 7Artisans 50/1.1 may actually be similar. I hope that the CV 50/1 is special.

A modern 50/1.1 may give similar looking images but there may be some subtle differences that are seen. The old Canon 50/1.2 should be different in performance, but the CV 50/1.1 and even the less costly 7Artisans 50/1.1 may actually be similar. I hope that the CV 50/1 is special.

The 50/1.1 Nokton- classic spherical optics, much less expensive than the 50/1.0 Noctilux. The Nokton 50/1.1 is one of the most under-rated lenses of all time.

I have these- will be doing a comparison. The 7Artisans 50/1.1 is a Sonnar, basically the Zunow 5cm F1.1 v2 lens with multi-coated optics in place of "filler glass".
The Canon 50/1.2 is very difficult to find with clean glass. A clean one is a fine performer, same rendering as the Canon 50/0.95.

I suspect the new lens will render much like the Nokton 50/1.2. That is a good thing.

This is good then; the 7Artisans lens is a Sonnar! I did not know this fact about it. I will try to remember to use these fast 50mm lenses more often. My Canon 50/1.2 has very clean glass, and it was serviced by DAG. I find images with this lens look very sharp. The Canon 50/0.95 is too large and too costly for me. It may be a very special lens when used wide open.

The 50/1.1 Nokton- classic spherical optics, much less expensive than the 50/1.0 Noctilux. The Nokton 50/1.1 is one of the most under-rated lenses of all time.

Ken Rockwell (he says many things) said this: "The Voigtländer 50mm f/1.1 lens for LEICA is poor. It's very soft and has poor bokeh at the larger apertures — as judged by LEICA standards. Many of Voigtländer's lenses for LEICA are excellent, but not this one. You'd be better off saving your money for a used LEICA SUMMILUX 50mm f/1.4, or buying the far superior and less expensive Zeiss 50mm f/2 ZM."

I wonder why he said this.

Steve Huff said this: "Still, you get about 80% of a Noctilux for 1/5th of the price of a used one."
"The Voigtlander 50 Nokton 1.1 is a terrific lens. Not quite as magical as the old Leica Noctilux, and not nearly as nice as the new $10,000 Leica 0.95 Noctilux. but it is $1100!!"

I cannot believe you are quoting Ken Rockwell. His problem: used it on a camera that the lens was not optimized for, and did not know enough to realize that could be a problem.

Nokton 50/1.1, wide-open on the M9.

M Monochrom.

The Nokton 50/1.1 and 35/1.2 V1- I figure they were optimized for Film cameras.

I added one layer of Copper Tape to the Cam for the Digital Leicas.

You can still get this lens new for $700. I consider that like getting my Canon 50/0.95 for $200 "before it was discovered".

Back