Well, it looks like they know how to shoot to me.

I don't think there was gratuitous dismissal of the work (yet), that said if you arrive somewhere new and expect nothing but approval you're in for disappointment.

That's not the point. Did the thread ask for a critique? How about a little respect for someone (who was formerly not a member) who the owner chose to be the mentor for a new forum? The person is here to help those who feel they can be helped by that person. If you are already too good for their advice, then what good does disparaging the images do?

That's not the point. Did the thread ask for a critique? How about a little respect for someone (who was formerly not a member) who the owner chose to be the mentor for a new forum? The person is here to help those who feel they can be helped by that person. If you are already too good for their advice, then what good does disparaging the images do?

Ouch John
I really don't think our member 'Lauffray'
was being soooo disparaging or possibly rude in the way he chose his Words

Well here to 'finding' a Good Street Shot... May we ALL be Lucky !

... that all sounds a tad prescriptive though.

Wow, we are off to a good start with this new section...:rolleyes:

Why are you guys always disparaging other people's work? Just because you like an image to be a certain way doesn't mean that everyone else needs to conform to those same attributes.

But....I actually gave some critique.

You can't have all praise and then silence from those who find the images lacking, that would make venues like this one pretty much worthless and like Flickr, endless circles of empty mutual praise.

Ouch John
I really don't think our member 'Lauffray'
was being soooo disparaging or possibly rude in the way he chose his Words

Well here to 'finding' a Good Street Shot... May we ALL be Lucky !

Not at all... and I didn't think I was rude to him. I've met Jerome a few times, so I hope he knows this isn't personal with him.

But....I actually gave some critique.

You can't have all praise and then silence from those who find the images lacking, that would make venues like this one pretty much worthless and like Flickr, endless circles of empty mutual praise.

But have you thought that maybe you are too advanced for the purpose of this section of the forum? and it was meant to be an introduction to the mentor for that section? And that he's taking time out, unpaid, because the owner asked him to?

Not at all... and I didn't think I was rude to him. I've met Jerome a few times, so I hope he knows this isn't personal with him.

Silly !!
Didn't call you or think you rude
Just an 'Ouch'

'Rude' was Meant to mean :
Lauffray's Thoughts did not seem Disparaging or Rude

I am familiar with this gentleman's work and Stephen's support for it. I do find it interesting that he seems to shoot with lenses 50mm, but seemingly, at least to me, mostly longer. For myself, that is something that could be a discussion in and of itself.

But have you thought that maybe you are too advanced for the purpose of this section of the forum? and it was meant to be an introduction to the mentor for that section? And that he's taking time out, unpaid, because the owner asked him to?

I honestly had no idea, I just saw comments on the photos and thought why not give some input that would offer a different view? Maybe I should just edit the post to say "The photos seem pretty average to me".

I will never understand this web phenom of either giving praise or not saying anything at all, it's just not the way things work in the real world.

Changing my post for the good of the happy people, lol!

Do any of you think that when the Magnum team assemble to discuss members work and prospective members work, that it's all sweetness and light?

Differing views are what makes a clearer direction as long as there is a strong leader to pull it together.

So, don't be prickly if others say their say, whether disparaging or otherwise, be excited at the prospect of breadth of opinion.

True, it didn't, saw some people opining about the photographs I thought we were talking about that since there was no word yet from our new mentor. In any case, I believe it a greater sign of respect to show someone honesty, and since he's the successful working photographer and I'm not I don't think my opinion carries much weight.

No worries, I know what you mean :)

I just want to clarify that I don't have a problem with critiques. Hard critiques help people develop. I just didn't think this was the place for it yet. However, I do NOW see that the OP was not specific in what the purpose of the post was, so I can see why we all reacted differently to it.

And here I thought I was going to see selfies of Stephen Gandy covered in welts from rubber bullets...;-)

Sigh.....ok, ok....The notch codes have me inspired, I am going I take my Mamiya 6 out for spin while on errands...

I'm going to Tokyo in a few weeks for a little street photography. What lenses should I bring? :D

I saw these and tried to understand the title thread, and my initial take was that Stephen had shot all these and that it was a boast of sorts, certainly justifiable on the evidence, that he knows how to shoot the gear he sells. I like some of them very much. Great for another dimension to be added to the forum. Change is good. A great initiative. Thanks Cameraquest.

I am happy to see that Frank Jackson is in good company here at RFF. Off hand I can think of no photog from Capa to Cartier-Bresson to Adams to Maier or any other commercially successful photographer who has not had their pics criticized at RFF (or any other online photography forum for that matter) by photogs who mostly have never made a good living professionally in photography - much less have even having a single show at a major photographic gallery.

I chose Frank for this forum because he is not just a good photographer, he is gifted and has a profound understanding of photography. In time as you get to know him and his work, I think most of you will come to agree with me. You don't know the guy yet. Give him a chance. Like any other posts in any other forum, use what you find useful. Frank Jackson is an exceptional photographer and exceptionally knowledgeable about photography. Like all the other RFF Mentors who are willing to share their expertise, RFF is fortunate to have his input.

Stephen

Back