Well, it looks like they know how to shoot to me.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. To begin with, I don't like this digital look.

Really?
Maybe if you had a better eye to recognize the difference between digital and analog pics.
Or maybe no one can really tell the difference between the two on a computer monitor.

1. film Hasselblad Xpan 45mm f8 Kodak Tmax 400 ei 200 dev Xtol 1:2
2. digital Nikon D810 Sigma 50mm f1.4 DG HSM A Adobe Lightroom and Silver EFX2
3. film Hasselblad Xpan 45mm f4 Kodak 400BW C-41
4. film Hasselblad 503cw 40mm CF f5.6 Kodak Tmax 400 ei 200 dev Xtol 1:2
5. film Hasselblad 503cw 40mm CF f8 Kodak Tmax 400 ei 200 dev Xtol 1:2
6. digital Nikon D810 Sigma 50mm f1.8 G Adobe Lightroom and Silver EFX2
7. digital Nikon D810 Sigma 50mm f1.4 DG HSM A Adobe Lightroom and Silver EFX2
8. digital Nikon D810 Sigma 50mm f1.4 DG HSM A Adobe Lightroom and Silver EFX2
9. digital Nikon D810 Sigma 50mm f1.8 G Adobe Lightroom and Silver EFX2
10. film Leica M6 50mm f1.4 ‘lux asph Kodak Tmax 400 ei 200 dev Xtol 1:2
11. film Leica M6 50mm f1.4 ‘lux asph Kodak Tmax 400 ei 200 dev Xtol 1:2
12. film Leica M6 50mm f1.5 ZM sonnar Fuji Neopan 1600 ei 1600 dev Xtol 1:2
13. film Leica M6 50mm f1.5 ZM sonnar Kodak Tmax 400 ei 200 dev Xtol 1:2
14. film Hasselblad 503cw 40mm CFi f4 Kodak Tmax 400 ei 200 dev Xtol 1:2

all film rotary processed in Jobo scanned in Microtek TF 120

Stephen

Work from one photographer from one particular area in the USA. And I thought this was an international site. Don't let my observations prevent you from slapping each other on the back though. Well done boss! Great!

Now that was funny! :)

Funny, I thougut it was a tad mean spirited to belittle Lauffray in this way
But He is the Boss :angel:

Edit: Thought about it, I have ducked out of this thread. Photomoof

Last edited by a moderator:
GREAT NEWS! Perfect forum for RFF. Funny actually that we haven't had one until now. But very welcome indeed! Thanks ahead of time to the moderators and to the Head Bartender.

Of these first images, my favorite is the rail station interior. Beautiful.

I look forward to contributing to this forum and to seeing the work of all the excellent street photographers here on RFF. Happy shooting out on the streets (and all those other public places) everyone!

Work from one photographer from one particular area in the USA. And I thought this was an international site. Don't let my observations prevent you from slapping each other on the back though. Well done boss! Great!

I don't understand your point here... it's the work of the mentor for the new section of the forum.

This will be great fun. Another area of many, where I still have much to learn.

Thanks. (I think...)

I do, however, have on question about street photography.

I hope I am allowed to use the 90. I am no good with a 35 and the extra 6 to 9 feet give me a head start when things get exciting. And I need all the head start I can get. :)

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. To begin with, I don't like this digital look.
I don't like Coca Cola.

Good news for the forum !
Don't mean to sour the mood but I don't find these pictures that interesting :-/

No souring of the mood, but it would be interesting to give your take/opinion on why you find these "not interesting", composition? mood? tones? etc etc....something to work off.

AWESOME! Thanks Stephen, I thought that was the case. It looked like a mix to me.

I think what makes a good or bad critique is lacking here.

Thanks for taking the chance and posting them.

Really?
Maybe if you had a better eye to recognize the difference between digital and analog pics.
Or maybe no one can really tell the difference between the two on a computer monitor.

1. film Hasselblad Xpan 45mm f8 Kodak Tmax 400 ei 200 dev Xtol 1:2
2. digital Nikon D810 Sigma 50mm f1.4 DG HSM A Adobe Lightroom and Silver EFX2
3. film Hasselblad Xpan 45mm f4 Kodak 400BW C-41
4. film Hasselblad 503cw 40mm CF f5.6 Kodak Tmax 400 ei 200 dev Xtol 1:2
5. film Hasselblad 503cw 40mm CF f8 Kodak Tmax 400 ei 200 dev Xtol 1:2
6. digital Nikon D810 Sigma 50mm f1.8 G Adobe Lightroom and Silver EFX2
7. digital Nikon D810 Sigma 50mm f1.4 DG HSM A Adobe Lightroom and Silver EFX2
8. digital Nikon D810 Sigma 50mm f1.4 DG HSM A Adobe Lightroom and Silver EFX2
9. digital Nikon D810 Sigma 50mm f1.8 G Adobe Lightroom and Silver EFX2
10. film Leica M6 50mm f1.4 ‘lux asph Kodak Tmax 400 ei 200 dev Xtol 1:2
11. film Leica M6 50mm f1.4 ‘lux asph Kodak Tmax 400 ei 200 dev Xtol 1:2
12. film Leica M6 50mm f1.5 ZM sonnar Fuji Neopan 1600 ei 1600 dev Xtol 1:2
13. film Leica M6 50mm f1.5 ZM sonnar Kodak Tmax 400 ei 200 dev Xtol 1:2
14. film Hasselblad 503cw 40mm CFi f4 Kodak Tmax 400 ei 200 dev Xtol 1:2

all film rotary processed in Jobo scanned in Microtek TF 120

Stephen

Digital looks, long lenses, whine whine whine.

I enjoyed the images and couldn't care less about gear. Wouldn't even care if they were embroidered on old bed sheets with burlap thread. Really, you gear heads take all the fun out of photography. ;)

If you don't like the digital look, do something else for your own stuff. I know you do and nobody criticises you for it, so what's your prerogative to impose your aesthetic views on a mentor who hasn't even written his first post on RFF yet.

Long lenses, if they get the shot done, who cares? Try to build a coherent portfolio for yourself and you will notice it's hard work, any and all gear choices aside.

Lets talk photography, I'm seeing well-composed and well-exposed images that have a pretty consistent look to them whether they are film or digital. I think that's a feat! And I'm looking forward to see esteemed members like the Simons (SimonSawSunlight and OurManInTangier) contribute to this thread with their street photography, because I appreciate their work greatly.

Heck, I might even decide to do some street work myself and finally put it online here as well :)

Wow, really surprised by some of the posts here, I can see why a lot of my fellow photographers stay away from the forums...

For example, the two posts above....they sound like you did not even read the thread before responding. I had no idea what in the hell his thread was even about, just a bunch of photos plopped onto the original post with no explanation whatsoever.

So I gave actual critique as to why I thought the photos were lacking and have since deleted that part of my post, seemed like the right thing to do given how I view them and how utterly clueless I was as to what this was about. I have mentors ( and mentor ) too by the way, none who spend a lot of time on the web on photo forums, we converse via email, workshops and other manners in person. Real honest to goodness mentorship is a two way street, not a web-centric love / praise fest...

So I am going to call it like I see it, I think the photos are just ok and this opening cryptic post did the fellow no favors. Better luck next time I guess....

Wow. phRotFonFet????

Edit: Simultaneous post with KM-25. As my first post indicates, I had no idea what this was about at first either. It was a bit like modern advertising, but this isn't the Super Bowl.

KM,

my response to the images was on the first page of this thread and I've read it very closely since my first response. I did have 'an idea what in the hell this thread was about' when I replied to the first post.

Furthermore, none of my remarks were targeted at you, so I graciously return the question: have you read the entire thread?

'Photos just being ok', that's fine with me. Even 'digital look' or 'too many long lens shots' is fine with me (it's a free world) but doing so in the first thread on a new forum with a new mentor is just plain rude and uncalled for.

Like you said yourself, Real honest to goodness mentorship is a two way street, and IMHO it shouldn't have anyone driving up the wrong lane on the first day it was opened to traffic! :)

it seems so obvious that some folks here are so far above the rest of us when it comes to talent and knowledge and experience and most everything else...it must be a hardship for them to be here...

My initial post was made on the 1st page before it was clear to most what this was all about. As I said elsewhere I did not *get* that this was some introduction into a new forum sub-section which I think is great. I kept it lighthearted after that, or at least I tried until I become irritated which I *really* am now.

Enjoy the forum folks, I have about a dozen 20x24 prints in the wash that need to be spotted before Monday, ciao!

Back