What are your 2011 Travel Plans?

Going to Lexington, KY for a week in July. Going to enjoy some bourbon, local food, and the landscape. I hope I come back with a crazy amount of film to develop.

So envious of all the Europeans/people traveling to Europe. If the dollar wasn't so worthless and I didn't need a roof for my house this year, I'd be in Ireland.

Croatia and Copenhagen. Maybe New York if all goes well.
Id love to go back to Japan, but I don't think it will be possible this year. Also revisiting Russia would be nice.

Lots this year

Lots this year

Big Bend National Park via motorcycle at the end of the month. Istambul with my daughter in March, British Isles with the family in June as a graduation gift for my daughter, Eastern US and Canada in September by motorcycle, Nepal to visit friends in October. Minimum kit is M with either 35 or 50.

One place is for sure, the other is ...when God wants !

The relatively sure place is - if no major unpredictable events come first - Ethiopia where my wife and me are involved for an adoption. I'm going there with FM3A and a few AIS lenses plus the new Portra 400. Depending on how quick papers are, it might be in late spring or, more likely, in fall / winter 2011.

The second place is - well, it's more a heartfelt wish than a reality - Central Asia. Tajikistan, Kyrghizistan, Uzbekistan and all those republics losts between the desert, the mountains and the Issik kul lake. Some of the most charming people linings, cultures and wonders are there. It's one of those place where I think I could easily stick with and live there, despite it's probably not the most comfortable one.

Third - but this would be a "pleasure" trip, to visit a friend of mine, would be Venezuela but I guess there are other issues there... and however definitely not this year.

Last edited:
First I'm going to Riga, Latvia for a week. About a month later, I'm doing a round trip through Germany to visit those of my friends who are attending university elsewhere. Sometime late this year, I might also go to Britain again.

Destinations are something I find out on a weekly basis - but always Asian
Tokyo in late April, early May to see my daughter for her birthday (...and catch up with Jon hopefully :D)
Although not a plan with any structure or timeframe, Afghanistan is really my ultimate photographic destination - hopefully one day

[Edit] Even forgot, I'm trying to get back to Australia for a visit later this year; will have been 6 years since I last went home

Last edited:
Cardiff, in feb (Hope I will shoot great pictures); Brest in march, Paris in april (April in Paris?) - Hope a lot of other destinations, but not know yet.

Nothing's fixed yet, but I'm considering to be at the Art Biennale in Venice, Italy in June, possibly a trip around Thailand at the end of the year and maybe a visit to the Rencontres D'art in Arles, France. But as always for freelancers, it depends on whether business works out as expected...

So far I have two trips planned:
1) Road trip here in Mexico with two good friends who are also photographers. Car will be loaded with film and beer :D Between the 3 of us we'll have a Hassy Xpan, Nikon F3HP, Nikon FM10, Yashica TLR, Leica M4, Canon A2E and a couple of DSLRs for snapshots :D

2) NYC, Seattle, Chicago or Toronto with my best friend. We haven't decided yet. She has family in Toronto, but we really dig the idea of NYC or Seattle.

Yorkshire, UK - most definitely. South Africa, Germany - likely.

I don't have anything planned yet, but I'll be heading somewhere fun in this part of the world......just wanted to throw an open invitation to anybody and everybody....

If you happen to come to Bangkok and would like to meet up, drop me a PM.....I know some cool places in this city

cheers, michael

I do plan a trip somewhere in the spring. I do not know the destination yet - it depends where I find a new job. Once that trip takes place I can start plan for the rest of the year. But I hope this new trip will get me somewhere a bit warmer and drier :)

Belarus at the end of July. My wife spends every summer there with her family and this year we will be in Brest celebrating her son's recent marriage. I go every other year and love exploring the country.

So far we've only planned for Ireland in the spring. I haven't gone to Cuba yet... Last year was support year for gear for me, and I currently have two new travel tripods that I'm trying out. Last year I took a Gitzo to Bermuda and it worked out great. I'll be taking a Benro to Ireland. A good travel tripod is really well worth taking on a trip!

Back