What are your 2011 Travel Plans?

Not too sure what's happening this year. I've kind of run out of money, especially needing to save something for the D700 replacement.
I might buy a tent and bum round France for a bit over the Easter break.
For summer providing I can scrape together the money I will either try and spend a few months in Africa, go to Iran then head off round the 'stans, or go to India and then up through Nepal into Tibet.
That and I'll try and occasionally get cheap flights to places in Europe for a weekend.

Gonna have to learn to drive this year and then next year I'd like to enter the Mongol Rally (driving from London to Ulaanbaatar). Should be pretty awesome.

After being away from Europe for a number of years, we're planning a trip to Scandinavia (Copenhagen, Stockholm, Oslo, Bergen), w/ a brief jaunt to England (Dorset, London) at the end. Our daughter is joining us, so she can brush up on her Norwegian.

Expect a "what gear to take..." thread in a few months... :rolleyes::)

Going to Hawaii for 16 days on January 25.

My photography subjects over this period will be to capture cheesey (overdone or out of place, sometimes silly) tourists. Including myself. lol

Most probably Tokyo, it is a 20 minutes train ride ... Also some business trips ... :bang:

With a little luck, these should all be happening. Only one I'm not sure about is Fuji Rock as it sort of clashes with my mum's 60th:

-Osaka & Kobe - March

-Melbourne & Yarra Valley - May

-Bangkok - July

-Fuji Rock Festival (fingers crossed!) - July

-Dharamsala, Ladakh & outer regions of Tibet - October

-Niseko & Sapporo - December

Domestic, San Francisco, Denver, Wyoming in the next couple of weeks. Puerto Rico next month and then to Spain for the running of the bulls in July. Thats it so far. I travel somewhere in the US at least once a month on business and I always pack a camera.

I escaped the Swedish winter and went to Bendigo (near Melbourne), Australia a week ago. Going to Japan for perhaps a month in March, then back to Bendigo, and then back to Sweden in June. This Fall I plan to go to America, starting with the ATP music festival in New Jersey.

There are some great trips planned here!

So far I've got Naples & Sorrento for 5 days later this month, Cape Town, the garden route & the Kruger for 3 weeks in May, a week near Strasbourg in July, then Chicago for 8 days in September.

Only Chicago involves work, but even there I should manage a few days/half days hiking and photographing.

I'll be in Nüremberg for sure, sometime between mid-May and mid-June. And, of course, a trip to Bamberg is in order. This time, however, it's going to be digital and film.

Going to Laos and Singapore this summer!! I'd want to go to North America -,- or maybe in the Caribbean Islands. I guess my aunt wants to tour around Asia first before we head to Europe or America. Hmmmm.... I'd prefer Europe anyway.. Paris, France!

I'm a little torn at the moment. I have some money sitting in my account from selling a medium format camera and I'm a bit sick of job searching. I'm considering packing up for a month or so and heading off to simply engross myself in a city and (hopefully) get some good photos. I'm debating going somewhere new and different like New Delhi and that area of India, or perhaps Phnom Penh. The alternatives are to go back to places I already kind of know and really getting to know them, like Bangkok, Yangon or perhaps volunteering in an orphanage in Kathmandu. That's pretty much the list right now. Hopefully something will sway me to pick one of them in the next couple of weeks and I can start booking flights and seeing if I can find couches to crash on for a night or two here and there.

I'm actually really gutted. I've wanted to go to Japan for a long time now, and while I was out of town over the weekend Air New Zealand had a one day sale for return flights to Tokyo for about a third of what they normally cost. Was so disappointing to find out, but mind you with Tokyo accommodation prices and the price of just being there, it still would have been tight. Not to mention all the photo books and gear from the countless used stores I've seen...

Last edited:
Originally, this year was Iceland, then Great Britian. Now, Istanbul in two weeks, Iceland in June and Nepal in the fall.

Back