where do you buy film?

I found a local store that sells kodak, cvs, and other rebranded film --some Bk. & Wt. most speeds 100-800 @ .25 cents per roll. Mostly a mix of out of date and not yet out of date. Had to slow down due to lack of freezer space.

++ for Silverprint in London. I buy Fomapan for B&W which is about £2.20 a roll for colour I shoot Agfa Vista (Fuji 200) from UK store Poundland at the crushing price of..... £1 for 36exp. I also have a local minilab that prints optically 2 hrs for £3.99.

For 120 colour I buy 5 packs portra for £18 and process myself to scan –works out about £5 per fim for finished product

I don't live anywhere near Canada, so I don't know the issues there. I buy my film at Tempe Camera - they carry all Kodak, Ilford and Fuji film. They also have Impossible film. I do buy from Freestyle - Efke and Rollei film, and color chemistry - their Unicolor kit is da bomb.

local flm cost is about 8 to 9 bucks a roll...freestyle is 2.89 a roll so with shipping it should still be way cheaper.

Local film in Australia is also at least $10 a roll of 120 for B/W. I buy in bulk from B&H. Aussie dollar is also the best it's ever been against the US.

John

I have bought from Macodirect when I lived in Belgium and continue to do so here in Melbourne. Oversees shipping is cheaper than Freestyle, B&H and Adorama.

Last time I was in a shop in Melbourne I asked why film was so expensive here ( $70 for an expired bulk roll of Rollei retro, on sale!). The attendant answered it was the way God intended things to be!....... so the devil must have invented the internet :D

Local film in Australia is also at least $10 a roll of 120 for B/W. I buy in bulk from B&H. Aussie dollar is also the best it's ever been against the US.

John

In adelaide one roll of portra 400 cost me $19!!! You would have to be stupid to NOT buy film online these days. Around $70 for 10 rolls of portra posted. Maybe I should buy in bulk and set up a store. Even if I sell it for double it would still be cheaper!

In adelaide one roll of portra 400 cost me $19!!! You would have to be stupid to NOT buy film online these days. Around $70 for 10 rolls of portra posted. Maybe I should buy in bulk and set up a store. Even if I sell it for double it would still be cheaper!

Just bought some more Portra from B&H - just over $5 each. No justifying Oz prices at all.

Do Canadians pay duty on USA or Mexico produced goods bought from a USA seller? What about NAFTA?

I honestly don't know, but my understanding is that, due to NAFTA, people in the US, Canada, and Mexico do not pay import duties on items manufactured in those countries when shipped across the border. I would think that Customs duties could apply to films, darkroom supplies, and other non-US made items that are imported into the US by Freestyle, and then sold across the border to Canada. Probably most of what Freestyle sells is imported into the US from a non-NAFTA country. Maybe someone from Canada can say if they are charged customs duties for Rollei or Efke film, but not for Kodak film.

Canadian taxes and customs brokerage fees may still apply. There are many people here from Canda who doubtless know more about this than I.

Anyway, my point to the poster who said he was screwed by Freestyle was simply that he wasn't screwed by Freestyle.

I honestly don't know, but my understanding is that, due to NAFTA, people in the US, Canada, and Mexico do not pay import duties on items manufactured in those countries when shipped across the border. I would think that Customs duties could apply to films, darkroom supplies, and other non-US made items that are imported into the US by Freestyle, and then sold across the border to Canada. Probably most of what Freestyle sells is imported into the US from a non-NAFTA country. Maybe someone from Canada can say if they are charged customs duties for Rollei or Efke film, but not for Kodak film.

Canadian taxes and customs brokerage fees may still apply. There are many people here from Canda who doubtless know more about this than I.

Anyway, my point to the poster who said he was screwed by Freestyle was simply that he wasn't screwed by Freestyle.

And quite right you are.

L.L. Lozeau on the corner of St-Hubert and Bellechasse in Montréal... Ilford, Kodak, Fuji, Kentmere... Paper, chemicals... There's an old guy there with who I talk about film sometimes.. Nice guys, even bought my DSLR there...

I live in a remote place; a sparsely inhabited island off the northeast coast of Newfoundland... so not a film supplier for hundreds of miles! And as for Canadian online stores? Forget it! Very little product, and you must be related to Thurston Howell III to afford it. So it's Freestyle and B&H for me these days. The prices are roughly a third of Canadian retailers, and even after shipping/duty/brokerage fees, it is still about half price.

Sure, I'd love to keep all of my shopping in my own country... but at what cost?

Glen

B&H, though I'm not in Canada but the southwestern U.S. Still, I have been paying $8-$9 a roll of 36 exposure, which I find absurd. I'd like to support the local guys, but they offer less and less of what I want and at prices that are often double what I can get from B&H and Freestyle. B&H seems to have slightly better prices.

No local stores for film here except color Fuji from Walmart. Live close to a Walgreens, last time I checked there 1 roll Kodak for $9.00. So most from B/H and started using Freestyle for a few items.

Internet if 10 or more (because of shipping cost). Delta 100 or 400 135/36 = 5,90 EUR with 5% discount for 10 pieces or more. Portra 160, 135/36 = 6,40 EUR same discount for 10 pieces or more.

robert

Burlington Camera for some b/w. One of the last stores here who are for film, darkroom.
Walmart until they have it for Kodak Gold.

BH for 30.5 135 bulks, free shipping for over 99$ order.
120 and 4x5 B/W from China on e-bay.

Back