Who has moved to the Nikon ZF?

I´ve been a Fuji X user since 2011 and know many people who use them. I have never had an EVF fail or even heard of it as a complaint in the many Fuji forums and groups. In fact, you do not hear of too many cameras at all where the EVF fails by any brand. If your X-E2 does happen to fail, it would be cheaper to replace it than to repair it anyway.
The failure point I've seen a few (like 2 or 3) people experience is on the hybrid viewfinders with the black out screen getting stuck. I never had a problem with this on any of mine. (x100, x100f, xp1, xp2)

The failure point I've seen a few (like 2 or 3) people experience is on the hybrid viewfinders with the black out screen getting stuck. I never had a problem with this on any of mine. (x100, x100f, xp1, xp2)
But that's the OVF/EVF combo... he specifically said EVF.

On the Xpro and x100 there is an evf within the OVF which projects framelines, focus point, shooting info even when using the OVF, i believe its the same EVF screen as the one which projects the image when in EVF mode. If the EVF fails it would certainly impair the OVF on these cameras

On the Xpro and x100 there is an evf within the OVF which projects framelines, focus point, shooting info even when using the OVF, i believe its the same EVF screen as the one which projects the image when in EVF mode. If the EVF fails it would certainly impair the OVF on these cameras
Yes, that is a big if. Again, I am a Fuji user who goes to various Fuji forums and groups. I´ve owned over 20 Fuji bodies myself. I have never heard of any widespread issues with the EVF going bad. Note that the person who wrote this is an OVF lover. Sounds more like fear than reality.

There is no need to disparage Fuji in a thread about the Zf, so let's move on.

Having used many mirrorless since the first one 15+ years ago, I've never heard of any EVF failures, although I'm sure they fail, it's very rare, and likely has a root cause (moisture or other abuse.)

Moving away from using a rangefinder is a major step. Are you using both, a RF and a mirrorless camera?

Not the Zf, but I've been eyeing the Zfc for some time. Using with legacy glass, much less at native coverage, isn't a factor. When I handled it, I thought it seemed well-made, yet lightweight, and that's an appealing combination for me.

Moving away from using a rangefinder is a major step. Are you using both, a RF and a mirrorless camera?
For me, very much mostly rangefinder, with film, then the rest is a mixture of film slr and mirrorless, plus the 617 scale focus! I bought the S1r primarily to scan film, but found it to be a camera I wanted to use outside sometimes too.

Yes, that is a big if. Again, I am a Fuji user who goes to various Fuji forums and groups. I´ve owned over 20 Fuji bodies myself. I have never heard of any widespread issues with the EVF going bad. Note that the person who wrote this is an OVF lover. Sounds more like fear than reality.

There is no need to disparage Fuji in a thread about the Zf, so let's move on.
Who is disparaging Fuji, and why would you care so much...

Who is disparaging Fuji, and why would you care so much...
Well, I use a bunch of Fuji cameras and find them to be very good. They are very good cameras, but of course not without faults like maybe slower AF than other brands or something of that nature. When you say something that I do not find to be true, based on my extensive knowledge and usage of the brand, I feel it is ok, in a camera forum, to say that isn't the case. That said, I just have never seen any complaint about widesprerad EVF failure from any brand to be honest. It just isn't a thing you have to worry about. If you really have a few friends that have had EVF failures, that would be very rare I'd think.

I´ve been a Fuji X user since 2011 and know many people who use them. I have never had an EVF fail or even heard of it as a complaint in the many Fuji forums and groups. In fact, you do not hear of too many cameras at all where the EVF fails by any brand. If your X-E2 does happen to fail, it would be cheaper to replace it than to repair it anyway.

Yes. If I could find one secondhand at an affordable price. Over here they are as rare as diamonds in the sand on Bondi Beach, as a local saying goes.

However, this being a Nikon thread, if (or when) my XE2 EVF kicks the bucket, I will move back into Nikon, either with a Zfc or a Zf if an affordable used one comes my way.

On my pensioner's income this is an important consideration. As good or even as great a camera as it is, forking out AUD $4000 for the Zf is way beyond what I can afford.

I've heard good things about the Zfc, but this is taking us away from the original intent of this thread. So no more said.

Last edited:
Right now for digital I have an M10 and a Fuji X-Pro3 with awesome lenses. What the Hell! I feel guilty having two such rigs. And now the Zf? Yechs!! GAS GAS GAS. NO! for now.

Well, I use a bunch of Fuji cameras and find them to be very good. They are very good cameras, but of course not without faults like maybe slower AF than other brands or something of that nature. When you say something that I do not find to be true, based on my extensive knowledge and usage of the brand, I feel it is ok, in a camera forum, to say that isn't the case. That said, I just have never seen any complaint about widesprerad EVF failure from any brand to be honest. It just isn't a thing you have to worry about. If you really have a few friends that have had EVF failures, that would be very rare I'd think.
Please point me to what I said that you do not find to be true...your assumptions/fears appear to me to be simple fanboyism

It looks like a batch of EVF's were a problem. Figure just-out-of-gate issues. I have two Nikon F2 bodies from the 1971 first production batch of 1600 cameras. I know of a person that held to the Nikon F because they had cameras from the same batch that locked up during an important field test, 50+ years ago. Bypassed all Nikon F2's made thereafter. Mine- bought used, work just fine 50+ years later. F2 bodies up to 1974 had a backlash problem when used with a motor. Nikon F4- first batch, self-destructing shutters. Leica M8- coffee stain LCD problem. etc, Etc. This is the "Manufacturer Specifications May Change" and rev level on components. Best to wait a year when a new camera is announced. Otherwise, consider it "Bleeding Edge" of technology.

I'll probably get my Zf in March. Jorge's Zf has not had a problem...

Last edited:
Jorge: I see you've been doing Software Updates. Is the Post Subliminal Message working yet?

Buy a ZF. Buy a ZF.

It looks like a batch of EVF's were a problem. Figure just-out-of-gate issues. I have two Nikon F2 bodies from the 1971 first production batch of 1600 cameras. I know of a person that held to the Nikon F because they had cameras from the same batch that locked up during an important field test, 50+ years ago. Bypassed all Nikon F2's made thereafter. Mine- bought used, work just fine 50+ years later. F2 bodies up to 1974 had a backlash problem when used with a motor. Nikon F4- first batch, self-destructing shutters. Leica M8- coffee stain LCD problem. etc, Etc. This is the "Manufacturer Specifications May Change" and rev level on components. Best to wait a year when a new camera is announced. Otherwise, consider it "Bleeding Edge" of technology.

I'll probably get my Zf in March. Jorge's Zf has not had a problem...

I was an early purchaser of the first Nikon F3 bodies. The ones before the HP model. It was a disaster. Stopped working every time the humidity was high much less in a light misting rain. Poorly sealed. NPS wasn't much help, other than offering to sell me the improved version F3P at full retail price. I passed, bought another F2 and survived with the outdated technology.

These days I just take it in stride. Stuff happens, thankfully, not very often. If it's a new product, the manufacturer will fix or replace it. Most people with new Nikon F3s were happy with them. I think the Fuji X-Pro3 had problems with the ribbon cable in the screens (I never liked that screen anyway). I remember some complained about the X-Pro2 eyepiece coming apart (I taped mine over with gaffer tape just in case). I've had zero problems with any of my Fujis and all my Nikons are old, bought used and work beautifully.

It looks like a batch of EVF's were a problem. Figure just-out-of-gate issues.
That's an issue on a just released camera though... that's a little different. Those things get ironed out quickly and then you do not hear about them again.

The Fuji forum certainly has documented issues with the EVF.

Some issues seemed to be firmware related. It happens. Leica firmware is not reliable. Nikon firmware on a camera owned by one of my neighbors turned off the AF function. Some setting in firmware that had nothing to do with AF turned it off as a side-effect. Stupid Bug, but stuff I am used to. Think of a camera as a computer, running software with bugs in it, not the easiest to use, and full of complex circuits that can fail. Yet with all that- they displaced film cameras.

Back