Who has moved to the Nikon ZF?

The Fuji forum certainly has documented issues with the EVF.

Some issues seemed to be firmware related. It happens. Leica firmware is not reliable. Nikon firmware on a camera owned by one of my neighbors turned off the AF function. Some setting in firmware that had nothing to do with AF turned it off as a side-effect. Stupid Bug, but stuff I am used to. Think of a camera as a computer, running software with bugs in it, not the easiest to use, and full of complex circuits that can fail. Yet with all that- they displaced film cameras.
I prefer software bugs that cause problems before you start to scratches, failed chemistry or other problems that only manifest later.

It looks like a batch of EVF's were a problem. Figure just-out-of-gate issues. I have two Nikon F2 bodies from the 1971 first production batch of 1600 cameras. I know of a person that held to the Nikon F because they had cameras from the same batch that locked up during an important field test, 50+ years ago. Bypassed all Nikon F2's made thereafter. Mine- bought used, work just fine 50+ years later. F2 bodies up to 1974 had a backlash problem when used with a motor. Nikon F4- first batch, self-destructing shutters. Leica M8- coffee stain LCD problem. etc, Etc. This is the "Manufacturer Specifications May Change" and rev level on components. Best to wait a year when a new camera is announced. Otherwise, consider it "Bleeding Edge" of technology.

I'll probably get my Zf in March. Jorge's Zf has not had a problem...
I have an older friend who had a conniption last year when he heard I bought a Nikon F4 because he had one of that first batch back in the day. He still loathes the F4 and went back to his F3HP for forever though he got an F100 I think.

I always wanted an F4 then and for me it's the perfect balance of automation and manual features. If I could afford the Zf I think it would be a similar experience for me.

I prefer software bugs that cause problems before you start to scratches, failed chemistry or other problems that only manifest later.
Yes- fixing software bugs is just typing, made easier if you have the source code and development tools. Too bad few companies make that available.
Other Firmware developers should pay their Daughters to do their testing for them.

Yes- fixing software bugs is just typing, made easier if you have the source code and development tools. Too bad few companies make that available.
Other Firmware developers should pay their Daughters to do their testing for them.
They should, absolutely.

It’s also like batteries, electronics and plastic - I prefer things that work until they just stop or catastrophically fail, not things that ‘last forever’ but subtly malfunction or bend in the meantime.

I'd just rather have Abandonware have a time limit where it legally becomes freeware if it's unsupported.

I bought Perpetual Licenses for the compilers I use for embedded code. The license allows me to distribute the compilers to anyone that uses my code.
I deliver source code for my paid projects, with the compilers. No one picks up developing it, simply pay me to do it. Will be by the hour when I retire, and they will pay my daughter to test it. Who can say No to jumping on fixing a Bug when your Daughter brings it to attention. They are very smart to do that.

Keeps me in lenses and cameras.

Let me relieve you of some of your guilt, I have : Leica M10, Z7 and Zfc, X-E3, IR converted X100, a Panosonic LX 100 for the glove box of the Jeep in case I forget one of the above. Not to mention my latest fetish - Film cameras. Life is Good! Have fun with it.

I confess, I've packed up my entire Nikon Z kit and am just gonna have to make do with a Hasselblad 500CM and CFV 50 back. I just didn't take to the camera, beautiful image quality, not quite as heavy as the D850 or any of the other Nikon DSLRs but still not exactly a lightweight.

Received my Zf last Friday, incredible improved AF over the Z7II. I have used the camera with the Z24-50 and Z24-200 now, next will be Z50 f/1.8S, Z40/2.0, Z28/2.8, and the Heliar 40/2.8.

The Zf has gotten me back into the addiction after many, many years away. I was starting from scratch so I just bought the stuff I felt like I needed; a 28, a 50 and a macro. The 40 came with the camera, and I grabbed an FTZ because why not.

Compared against a proven winner; an F3HP with 28/2.8 AIS.

At first I thought the camera was maybe too complicated for the target market but much like the first time I tried a heated steering wheel and top-down parking camera, once you have it you won't want to give it up. Well, that's how I feel about the IBIS, high ISO performance, AF performance, etc.

My main criticism is not the camera itself (though it would be nice if it would save WB changes if you change PC profiles, not that I shoot jpeg but I like having Lightroom start from a PC it makes things a bit easier), but the lack of small lenses. I will give up some optical performance for smaller options. I think Nikon hasn't quite gotten the balance right. I don't hate the plastic lenses but can't there be something in between S lenses and the small ones? I'd kill for a 28/2.0 with nice build quality/weather sealing ala the S lenses but a size more in line with vintage 28/2.0 lenses, even if I had to give up some corner performance.

The macro is internally focused so I don't mind it as much but it's comically large. On the other hand the sharpness is no joke.

IMG_6475 - Copy.JPG

The Zf has gotten me back into the addiction after many, many years away. I was starting from scratch so I just bought the stuff I felt like I needed; a 28, a 50 and a macro. The 40 came with the camera, and I grabbed an FTZ because why not.

At first I thought the camera was maybe too complicated for the target market but much like the first time I tried a heated steering wheel and top-down parking camera, once you have it you won't want to give it up. Well, that's how I feel about the IBIS, high ISO performance, AF performance, etc.

My main criticism is not the camera itself (though it would be nice if it would save WB changes if you change PC profiles, not that I shoot jpeg but I like having Lightroom start from a PC it makes things a bit easier), but the lack of small lenses. I will give up some optical performance for smaller options. I think Nikon hasn't quite gotten the balance right. I don't hate the plastic lenses but can't there be something in between S lenses and the small ones? I'd kill for a 28/2.0 with nice build quality/weather sealing ala the S lenses but a size more in line with vintage 28/2.0 lenses, even if I had to give up some corner performance.

The macro is internally focused so I don't mind it as much but it's comically large. On the other hand the sharpness is no joke.

View attachment 4835838
I completely agree about the lens size of the Z-series. For a day-trip to Kyoto I brought the 105/2.8 S and Apo-Lanthar 35/2.0. Both outstanding lenses but comparing the size of the 105/2.8 S alone with the Z24-200, which is smaller, made me thinking that relying on prime lenses with the Zf is not the way to go until Nikon or anybody else releases smaller MF lenses with electronic contacts to communicate aperture, focal length and distance to the camera. The Z 26/2.8 seems to be the only option for a small walk-around lens as of yet, possibly together with the Z 40/2.0 or the Nokton 40/1.2 as a MF lens.. Back in the day, the F3HP paired with the 105/2.5 Ais was my preferred setup, the size of the Z 105/2.8 S is just ridiculous.

I completely agree about the lens size of the Z-series. For a day-trip to Kyoto I brought the 105/2.8 S and Apo-Lanthar 35/2.0. Both outstanding lenses but comparing the size of the 105/2.8 S alone with the Z24-200, which is smaller, made me thinking that relying on prime lenses with the Zf is not the way to go until Nikon or anybody else releases smaller MF lenses with electronic contacts to communicate aperture, focal length and distance to the camera. The Z 26/2.8 seems to be the only option for a small walk-around lens as of yet, possibly together with the Z 40/2.0 or the Nokton 40/1.2 as a MF lens.. Back in the day, the F3HP paired with the 105/2.5 Ais was my preferred setup, the size of the Z 105/2.8 S is just ridiculous.

Hmm, I have the 28/2.8 on the camera and it doesn't strike me as too big (it's about the same as the 40 and as you can see, while wider in diameter compared to the old 28/2.8 AIS, it's not any longer on the camera). I quite like it actually, its performance is more than adequate as is the 40. For the price, anyway. I have never had any complaints about the old AIS 28/2.8; I don't think this inexpensive modern lens loses to it and therefore I continue to have no complaints. Not bad, considering the AIS 28 was a no compromises lens at the time. But it is 2024, not 1994, and I would pay more, to get a bit more. The Z mount has an exceptionally short flange length, and is exceptionally large in diameter. I feel like something ought to be possible.

The 26 is an interesting option, as it really is exceptionally small. I actually considered getting it instead of the 28, but several things about it turned me off including external focus and pretty obviously weak corners even stopped down. It's also not a 28. Cool engineering achievement however.

Ah yes the 105. Well, to be fair, the 102/2.5 was not a macro lens. And the 105 Nikon is really not much longer than say, a Voigtlander APO macro in similar focal length if you were to extend it all the way. Such is the price of internal focusing. There are some advantages of course, such as being immensely dust and weather resistant. You might be able to comfortably take some shots you would not with a pricey vintage macro (such as my favorite Leica 100 which has never once let me down in the many years I've owned it). Pick your poison, I suppose.

I am curious though, how badly do you want them to be manual focus? For me it's neither good nor bad for a lens to be manual focus. I will say with the 105 macro, something I have come to appreciate is that I don't have to fight a long focus throw on a well damped helicoid on a macro lens. It feels awesome of course, but due to an injury to my left wrist, it is actually kind of nice to be able to let the camera focus for me. It's not something I notice much, thankfully, but after a few hours I definitely start to feel it. Not an issue with more general purpose lenses but not fun.

Not that it adds much, but the 28/2.8 is about the same size as the 26. Not that you'd necessarily want both --- they are so close in focal length. Still the 26 or the 28 and the 40/2.8 would make a nice walk-around kit. For a portrait lens, a 90/2.8 skinny Elmarit can work. Those three lenses would cover most of what you'd want, if people are your subject.

I love the camera... The shutter seems more responsive than Z6ii, plus I think the .jpg color science shows a bit more contrast as well.

View attachment 4835838
Any photo of the 50mm 1.8 S on the Zf?

I must admit that after following this thread for a few months I've become intrigued by the Z system. Not ready just yet but a used Z-something and FTZ might be a useful toy for the playground.

Back