Who has moved to the Nikon ZF?

Hmm ok I may need some help here. Is there a suggested export size? The forum software appears to applying some interesting choices about scaling that are causing the image to look a good deal less sharp than it really is at 2048. Oh well It's not so interesting, so here is a full sized upload to get a sense of what the lens can do wide open. Not that much is in focus but what is, is very sharp.

E7CwvuR.jpeg

How does the size and weight of this camera compare to FM/FE bodies?
And what is the shutter sound like?
Thanks.

John

Thanks.

John

Definitely bigger than those. It's both taller and thicker than my F3HP.

When it comes to weight, the Zf with 28/2.8 is less than the F3HP with 28/2.8, not by a ton though. The body is ~50g lighter on the Zf compared to F3HP. The FM is much lighter, no?

The quiet mode is unbelievably quiet. It's all electronic shutter and it's so quiet the first time I used it I wasn't even sure if I was actually taking pictures. The regular noise is... it's fine. It's not the huge crash of a late pro SLR but it's satisfying enough in use and has the right amount of feedback.

Thanks.

John
Shutter sound is comparable to my Leica M-A, the Z7II is a little quieter. The Zf body is thin but remarkably wide and tall, therefore using the camera with an additional grip makes handling easier from my experience.

Bought one. Set it out next to my M10. Then returned it for a refund.

It's not as smooth or small a rig as a Leica, but its "inconveniences" cost about $8,000 less for the same performance. You get what you pay for.
Every time I pick it up, its weight and scale remind me more of an old F/F2 rather than the FE I grew up with. Actual weight is between the two.

(Comparing a Nikon directly to a Leica is also kind of a flashback to the '60s & '70s... Deja vu all over again.)

I've turned silent mode shutter on (electronic shutter) and it's one of those things you wonder how you lived without it. (The e-shutter will "band" under certain lighting, so you have to be a little careful with it.)

I've removed the small rig grip to reduce bulk and started shooting more with the left hand "hold", the old way (as you did with a 500C/M/SWC or old SLRs with big lenses).

Last edited:
If I already had an M10 and lenses then it's unlikely I would have bought a Zf. Especially because I could easily carry a film body in a bag and just have both all the time instead of two completely separate setups. The Leica clearly delivers an experience more like using an old camera. With the Zf I have to actively ignore things and I actually turn the screen around at all times unless I need to check a histogram or shoot a weird low angle.

But since I had no recent digital camera, and the M11 has had a lot of issues, I decided to go with the Zf before slamming down my bat credit card (never leave the cave without it, of course).

That said I'm kind of eying an M11 anyway. My main motivation is frankly the size difference specifically of the 50/1.8S vs the 50 Lux ASPH II. However, I find myself mainly just shooting 28mm at the moment, and the Zf and 28mm Z lens is not a huge combo. Additionally, I am baffled by what Leica is doing at 28mm on the M cameras where none of their lenses so obviously outperform the inexpensive 28mm Nikon lens I have to have one, other than the Lux. Unfortunately, I don't want that one due to it simply being too big and I don't need f1.4 on a modern sensor at 28mm. They used to be class leaders at 28mm, and if I look at the SL 28mm it's amazing (though huge). The Nikon 28mm is dirt cheap, light as heck, and a real performer given the price. I do appreciate as a physical object it sucks. As a photographic tool, the value proposition is ludicrous.

Leica still has very compelling options at 21, 35 and 50, but of these, only 50 is a focal length I'm willing to spend that kind of money on (28/50 is an adequate kit for me, I'd just use something else for macro work). For my personal usage, I'd probably prefer the Nikon 20mm f1.8 to the incredible Leica 21,anyway, the Z lens is just incredible and I tend to shoot that focal length on a tripod.

Well, all that aside I think images made with Leicas are certainly very nice, and the M11 is compelling with it's resolution, ISO performance, etc. If my first love was 35mm lenses then this would be much easier due to the 35 APO cron and 35 Lux FLE. If a new 28 is released, my interest would be piqued. At current, it's harder to get as jazzed about spending M11 money and then my best option being a Voigtlander 28mm f2 Ultron II. Props to them and all for making such great lenses but it doesn't quite stir the same feelings in me as Leica and for my main focal length I want a really special world beater lens.

Last edited:
If I owned a Zf, I would look hard at the Voigtlander lens offerings (and maybe a few more obscure mf lenses like the Meyer Optik) in order to enjoy relatively compact optics with great manual focusing. Anyone who has a Zf also using Voigtlander lenses on it? How's the experience?

I bought a Zf and 40mm to try out at my daughter’s week-long wedding event on the Outer Banks of NC. I took it instead of my M10. Just got home and imported the pics but have only scanned through them.

I enjoyed the Zf very much. I’m not used to this much technology in a camera and was often overwhelmed with the options, which seem vast to this primarily M user. But I got many photos I likely would not have gotten with the M10. It allows fast working, especially with all the dials - particularly ISO and exposure compensation, which are a much nicer implementation than on digital M’s.

Interesting that the lead photographer on the team she hired for the wedding day was using a Zf. I stuck to backstage life at the beach house we rented for the week.

Anyway, I’m now considering whether to keep it. And, if so, what to do with the M10? I think I could let the M10 go and use the Zf for digital. It’s so much more versatile. But I’ve always regretted selling Ms.

John

Last edited:
Well, I´ve decided to go for a Zf as well. I have been using my Fuji GFX more lately and I am not really using my Fuji X stuff much anymore. My plan is to keep one Fuji X camera (X-Pro3) with the 2 lenses I use the most. Everything else will be sold and I'll grab the Zf, 40mm and 50mm. I was thinking of a Fuji X body with IBIS, but I simply am not into what they are offering right now. The Zf gives me IBIS, a high quality lens (50mm 1.8 s) and great high ISO. I think it'll work perfect at night for a project I have been thinking about.

Good luck with it, @JohnGellings. I think you’ll enjoy it.

I decided to stick with the M10 and sent my Zf back today. I think it’s the right choice for me. If I did more event-type work it would be ideal. Although I definitely prefer OVFs.

The one Zf feature I really struggled with was the focus point on the LCD. I like the focus/recompose method and often could not see the point. It’s clear in the VF but not the LCD.

Be sure to check out and configure the “i” menu. I found it amazing.

Look forward to hearing about your experience with it.

John

Though I could buy ZF equivalents, there’s a good reason to still shoot with M lenses on your ZF……the Techart autofocus adapter. Eye focus works well and is especially useful at f/1.

IMG_4558.jpeg

922724C3-4EF6-4F43-B725-15A8CE7CA3E3.jpeg

Unfortunately, the Techart does not accumodate the flatter and wider base of the LLL 50/1.2 (due to interference with the lens release button), so I use the TTartisan smart manual focus adapter with that lens specifically.

8E30E660-4940-4745-B6CC-1E21698A4DD4.jpeg

Though I could buy ZF equivalents, there’s a good reason to still shoot with M lenses on your ZF……the Techart autofocus adapter. Eye focus works well and is especially useful at f/1.

Unfortunately, the Techart does not accumodate the flatter and wider base of the LLL 50/1.2 (due to interference with the lens release button), so I use the TTartisan smart manual focus adapter with that lens specifically.
Do you find that the Techart II "hunts" for focus. I have one, but am on the fence as to actual performance.

Back