Leica LTM Who has the oldest Leica on the forum?

Leica M39 screw mount bodies/lenses
The rangefinder is very useful (in this case the FOFER, with a bigger wheel than the usual FODIS), but ruins the smooth lines of the camera to put it mildly.

Another problem with the I is the masking of the viewfinder. This is adjusted for photography at infinity, wich means that you'll run into problems with framing more close-up pictures: heads of people are cut off, etc. This was improved on the Leica II wich has a really good viewfinder indeed.

Erik.

10141458886_2b9ae5eab1_c.jpg

The rangefinder is very useful (in this case the FOFER, with a bigger wheel than the usual FODIS), but ruins the smooth lines of the camera to put it mildly.

Another problem with the I is the masking of the viewfinder. This is adjusted for photography at infinity, wich means that you'll run into problems with framing more close-up pictures: heads of people are cut off, etc. This was improved on the Leica II wich has a really good viewfinder indeed.

Erik.

10141458886_2b9ae5eab1_c.jpg

Erik, you got your FOFER facing backwards...?

Thanks for posting the story of Ezriel Kalman's Leica. I've read it before but lost the link. There was some controversy about it being a fake, because of the chrome finish and some screws an such. But I think it indeed is a real, very early Leica and one that has seen almost continuous use for decades on. This may explain the chrome upgrading. A professional photographer would want to show his customers that he's not using scratched and damaged equipment.

Huub, I use it in the normal way, but for a picture the back of the FOFER is more interesting.

About chrome Leica's I: H. Cartier-Bresson's Leica I is also in chrome. I've never seen another however.

Erik.

What I'd like to know is .... who is the oldest Leica shooter on RFF?

I've had this beauty for about seven years now ... and two rolls of film! :p

IMG_2528.jpg

IMG_2526.jpg

I agree with Huub, Keiths camera is breathtaking.

It confirms my conviction that Leicas I (with the later type release button, no mushroom) were originally NOT equipped with a release guard. These were introduced on the Leica II.

Erik.

I'm not much competition for "oldest Barnack", but might be in the running for "early II"...

I have a black II from 1932, s/n 77xxx, 5 cm Elmar (nickel, 11 o'clock), s/n 99xxx.

I am nowhere near in the running but I'm going to brag anyway. I picked up for $10 an hour or so ago a 1937 IIIa, 259090, found while rummaging through boxes at a camera store that's closing (owner is retiring). Some eejit removed the vulcanite and painted the whole thing a gloss enamel black. Since the metal wasn't prepped at all, the paint flakes off pretty easily, so I'm in the process of scraping it off of the brass.

Seems to work OK -- though the slow speeds are all in need of attention. The viewfinder and rangefinder look good, as do the shutter curtains. It was modified at some point in its career to add flash synchronization -- the terminal is located right about where the selftimer is mounted in later models.

Sorry for the semi-hijack! But whom else could I tell??

I am nowhere near in the running but I'm going to brag anyway. I picked up for $10 an hour or so ago a 1937 IIIa, 259090, found while rummaging through boxes at a camera store that's closing (owner is retiring). Some eejit removed the vulcanite and painted the whole thing a gloss enamel black. Since the metal wasn't prepped at all, the paint flakes off pretty easily, so I'm in the process of scraping it off of the brass.

Seems to work OK -- though the slow speeds are all in need of attention. The viewfinder and rangefinder look good, as do the shutter curtains. It was modified at some point in its career to add flash synchronization -- the terminal is located right about where the selftimer is mounted in later models.

Good find, Nick! A little visit to Cameraleather.com and you're golden.

The slow speeds are trivial to work on this camera; just undo two screws and the escapement falls out into your hand. Once cleaned, all you need to be careful with is the get the peg on the escapement lined up properly with the little fork peeking out under the shutter drum. If you are lucky, the flash sync will work with electronic flash, but probably not. That can be rectified, but it can be tricky.

Cheers,
Dez

Hi,

That was a lucky find and the IIIa is a timeless camera with many useful features, like strap lugs. A new coat on it and you'll be the envy of many...

Regards, David

Thanks, guys! Dez, I'll need to do a little research -- not exactly sure where those two screws are that you mention, for instance. This morning the shutter wasn't working right; I think the old fella just needs to loosen up in the morning! A CLA is likely called for. Flash synch works fine with a strobe, which is great.

I was able to scrape all the black paint off the top cover. Getting it out of the knurling on the wind and rewind knobs was a treat!

The bottom plate seems to be a much tougher proposition -- any suggestions for a good paint remover? I'd love to find something that I can brush on and let sit.

In terms of a body covering, I reckon the paint will need to come off (or be well dulled up) before anything goes on it.

I'd like to find a shutter button collar, and one of the screws for the accessory shoe is missing. But it's complete otherwise.

And I should have mentioned in my first post -- this is my oldest Leica. Reminds me of the one my mother had, which was probably a IIIa also, with Summar, that she got for high school graduation in 1938. (Nice gift.) She traded that in for a plasticky Pentax many years ago, but she got lots of good travel pics with that Pentax.

Thanks, guys! Dez, I'll need to do a little research -- not exactly sure where those two screws are that you mention, for instance. This morning the shutter wasn't working right; I think the old fella just needs to loosen up in the morning! A CLA is likely called for. Flash synch works fine with a strobe, which is great.

I was able to scrape all the black paint off the top cover. Getting it out of the knurling on the wind and rewind knobs was a treat!

The bottom plate seems to be a much tougher proposition -- any suggestions for a good paint remover? I'd love to find something that I can brush on and let sit.

In terms of a body covering, I reckon the paint will need to come off (or be well dulled up) before anything goes on it.

I'd like to find a shutter button collar, and one of the screws for the accessory shoe is missing. But it's complete otherwise.

And I should have mentioned in my first post -- this is my oldest Leica. Reminds me of the one my mother had, which was probably a IIIa also, with Summar, that she got for high school graduation in 1938. (Nice gift.) She traded that in for a plasticky Pentax many years ago, but she got lots of good travel pics with that Pentax.
You can get a shutter button collar off eBay for about $14 delivered from Japan, just search for Leica collar. Seller is nobbysparrow.

You may be able to get a screw from your local optician's store as they should hold a range of small screws for fixing eyeglasses.

An alternate supplier for covering is Aki-Asahi.com

Thanks. I also have thought of checking DAG's site.

And I found some instructions for removing the slow speeds module, per Dez's comment. Indeed it looks like something I could actually do....

This thread inspired me to take a fresh set of pics of the 1a ... and I may actually load a film into it in the next few days which hasn't happened for several years. :D

10179429396_9bcb8f6217_o.jpg

10179371005_9981822193_o.jpg

10179263454_350be100cd_o.jpg

10179369465_4c64f00f82_o.jpg

Keith, Thanks for the photos. That's a lovely outfit you have. It's hard to find that case in such nice condition. I have one but it's very used and missing part of the latch. Lovely. Try some Ektar in it. I think it works well with uncoated lenses. Enjoy. Joe

Keith, Thanks for the photos. That's a lovely outfit you have. It's hard to find that case in such nice condition. I have one but it's very used and missing part of the latch. Lovely. Try some Ektar in it. I think it works well with uncoated lenses. Enjoy. Joe

I tend not to get too attached to cameras and always make the assumption that everything is for sale if need be ... ie financial crisis!

Not this camera though and it's not because I'm a Leica fan boy it's purely to do with the sense of history this 1a gives when I hold it. You can't really make a 35mm camera more simple than this and it's good reminder of the genius behind it's inception.

Back