ZM Biogon f2 35mm perfect 35mm RF lens? Show your examples

I added the Zeiss 35/2 after using a Summicron 35/2 V1 for many years, plus a pre-asph Summilux 35/1.4.

I added the Zeiss 35/2 after using a Summicron 35/2 V1 for many years, plus a pre-asph Summilux 35/1.4.
My case is a little bit different. I'm not justified to keep both lenses at the same time.
Has anyone traded your Leica lens for Zeiss, in this particular case the Biogon 35/2?

Trung,
I know this thread is about the Zeiss 35/2 but I much prefer the Zeiss 35/2.8 for being just as sharp, but smaller even if one stop slower. I got rid of the 35/2 and kept the other.
I also have the Summicron 35 v4 like you and I really think it's an ideal lens for what I like to photograph, which is mainly people and places. I think you might regret parting with your Summicron.

Zeiss Biogon T* 35mm f2 ZM lens photos

Zeiss Biogon T* 35mm f2 ZM lens photos

I bought a Zeiss Biogon T* 35mm f2 ZM lens yesterday and took it out for a spin today. I'm lovin' it!

DSC03281.JPG

DSC03270.JPG

DSC03247.JPG

DSC03245.JPG

DSC03231.JPG

DSC03250.JPG

DSC03252.JPG

Sony A7II camera, Zeiss Biogon T* 35mm f2 ZM lens,
Voigtlander VM/E Close Focus Adapter

Yokohama, Japan - 30 June 2018

All the best,
Mike

More from the first test run!

DSC03214.JPG

DSC03227.JPG

DSC03242.JPG

DSC03248.JPG

DSC03249.JPG

DSC03263.JPG

DSC03265.JPG

DSC03266.JPG

DSC03283.JPG

All the best,
Mike

I have three ZM lenses but for me the Biogon is an absolute standout .... I'm no optics expert but it has no faults that I can perceive .... near zero distortion, great flare resistance and sharp at all apertures and lately I've noticed you can pick up a near mint example for around seven hundred dollars!

Every time I use it on my 240 it really impresses me .... occasionally I wouldn't mind a stop of extra speed but over all I can see no reason to ever own any other 35mm lens. I've noticed in the poll we have running here it's around neck and neck with the Summicron in the vote count and that's impressive considering the price of a new Summicron against the Zeiss.

The size is excellent and on the 240 it focuses without issues unlike it's sibling the 50mm C Sonnar which can be damned hard to master with it's focus shift. It's probably my most used lens!

If you have any images from the 35mm Biogon feel free to put them here and we can celebrate one of Zeiss's finest optics.

20398776956_e5371cf3c1_o.jpg

Keith, I am with you on this lens 200%

It has a tight little sweet spot that when you nail a shot you really nail it! I bought it 2 days ago and the more I use it the more I love it.

A couple from today:

DSC03343.JPG

DSC03334.JPG

I'm lovin' it!
Mike

DSC03333.JPG

DSC03342.JPG

DSC03321.JPG

DSC03330.JPG

Don't drink the kool-aid!
Mike

Very nice 3D rendering with that lens.

I am kind of lukewarm about the bokeh quality, just going from the photo samples shown, but that is a personal preference, so it is neither here or there.

I'm seeing definite 3-D pop in the photos, along with excellent color! I like what I'm seeing here!

Great lens with (mostly) nice bokeh and subject separation wide open.
OJtOk89.jpg

...and easy to use with zone focus stopped down
QoH0oQ1.jpg

After seeing the incredible images that Michael (michaelbialecki) was posting in his “Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 Distagon T* ZM photos” thread I thought “I really need to get that lens” until I saw the price. So, I settled for the Biogon T* 35mm f2 that was half the price. And, the good news is...the Biogon T* 35mm f2 ZM lens vastly exceeds my expectations!

Shot on July 1st, 2018 - Yokohama, Japan

DSC03312.JPG

DSC03345.JPG

All the best,
Mike

The ZM Biogon f2 35mm ... is it the perfect 35mm RF lens? Show us your examples.

The ZM Biogon f2 35mm ... is it the perfect 35mm RF lens? Show us your examples.

After seeing the incredible images that Michael (michaelbialecki) was posting in his “Zeiss 35mm f/1.4 Distagon T* ZM photos” thread I thought “I really need to get that lens” until I saw the price.
Its only money ��

One area where the Distagon is far superior to the Biogon is coma control. The Biogon is pretty awful in that regard, whereas the Distagon is even better than the Summilux Asph.

Other than than, except for the extra stop of the Distagon and the extra separation it gives, there is not that much performance difference between them.

Its only money ��

One area where the Distagon is far superior to the Biogon is coma control. The Biogon is pretty awful in that regard, whereas the Distagon is even better than the Summilux Asph.

Thank You Jon for sharing your results and comparison to the Summilux ASPH.
Got to get this lens!

Coma control? :) Despite whatever faults this lens may have I'm still lovin' it!

DSC03290.JPG

DSC03307.JPG

DSC03320.JPG

Sony A7II, Zeiss Biogon T* 35mm f2 ZM lens
Yokohama, Japan - July 2018

All the best,
Mike

Coma > the blurry wings around points of light.

Control > not having those blurry wings ;)

https://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2607352&postcount=18

You'd see a difference shooting Chinatown in Yokohama at night, but in the day time you certainly won't.

Jon, I love your sense of humor and your knowledge as well. The example you shared was brilliant.

Lucky for me I'm a daytime kind of photographer. When the sun goes down I replace the camera in my hand with a drink; preferable whisky.

A couple more with the Biogon f2.

DSC03328.JPG

DSC03294.JPG

All the best,
Mike

Zeiss Biogon T* 35mm f2 ZM lens, Sony A7II
Yokohama, Japan - July 2018

The girl in the middle seems to be having some coma control issues :)

DSC03326.JPG

Baby, it's hot out here!

DSC03324.JPG

All the best,
Mike

Back