Compatibility of Nikon S / Contax RF lenses on Leica M with Amedeo Adapter

The photos are very helpful for illustrating what the problem is w/some of the wides. You could have substituted the Zeiss-Opton/Carl Zeiss 35 Biogon or Planar for the Nikon 35/1.8 & you would have the same situation, i.e., the rear element poking beyond the adapter cam.

FYI, on your list of lenses that work, you can add these specific telephotos:

85/2 Carl Zeiss Jena, Zeiss-Opton, & Carl Zeiss Sonnars
85/4 Zeiss-Opton or Carl Zeiss Triotar
135/4 Carl Zeiss Jena, Zeiss-Opton, & Carl Zeiss Sonnars
180/6.3 Carl Zeiss Jena Tele-Tessar

On a persnickety nomenclature note, all the lenses made in Jena, both pre & post-WWII were marked w/the focal length in cm, so 5cm rather than 50mm. For some reason, after WWII, the reestablished CZ in the west decided that all the Zeiss-Opton (always hyphenated) & Carl Zeiss lenses were to be marked in mm, which is what I've used in my thread posts. Nippon Kogaku obviously kept w/the pre-WWII standard.

Last edited:
Of course, the 5cm marking is more "accurate" as none of the Zeiss, Leica, or Nikkor lenses are actually 50mm focal length. Zeiss lenses are ~52.4mm, Leica and Nikkor lenses are closer to 51.6mm. The 5cm is a nice way of stating this.

My Wollensak Raptar F1.5 is marked 51mm.

The 5cm f/1.1 will not work with the Amedeo adapter.

That's too bad. Maybe the head bartender has been fooling us all along with this photo below (found here)...

adapt11.jpg

I could mount it for sure, just not turn it to focus, unless mounted with the lens set to MFD. Then I could rotate between about .9m and 1m. I suspect with a bit of filing it might work.

By pure accident, I managed to get a chrome Nikkor P.C. 8.5cm f/2 Nippon Kogaku Japan lens. Will the Amadeo adapter work with this lens?

Also, which camera body is best suited for this lens?

Thanks.

Excellent thread jonmanjiro. Am thinking about getting Amedeo's adapter Nikon to Leica for use with the Zeiss S Sonnar 50 1,5. Do you have any shots using that combination that you could post? Also, are there any shortcomings using that combination that you may have discovered?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

On the Nikon P.C. 8.5cm F2: it will work with an adapter. Look for a 'C' on the side of the barrel to indicate if it is S-Mount or Contax mount. Nikon also made this lens in LTM. It might be cheaper to sell/trade this one, and then get the LTM version. I have this lens in all three mounts. I use the LTM version on th Canon P, Canon 7, Leica M3, and Leica M2.

Brian: there is no C on the barrel, it is a S-mount. From the mir.com.my site, I found the lens is from 50s when there was no MIOJ engraved on the lens.

As I mentioned in the thread on the Nikon RF forum, the hassle of trading or selling the lens is too much. I'd rather get an adapter. If you have any offers for trading the lens let me know. :)

Excellent thread jonmanjiro. Am thinking about getting Amedeo's adapter Nikon to Leica for use with the Zeiss S Sonnar 50 1,5. Do you have any shots using that combination that you could post? Also, are there any shortcomings using that combination that you may have discovered?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Mark, some may find the long focus throw and rotating aperture ring of the Zeiss S Sonnar a shortcoming, but it doesn't worry me. On the contrary, I prefer the longer focus throw for pinpoint focusing.

The shots below were taken with a Zeiss S Sonnar & Amedeo adapter combo on a Zeiss Ikon. I was shooting Provia 100F @ f1.5 (or maybe f2?) at maybe around 1/30 to 1/60 (barely sufficient light for hand holding).

PIE 2009 01 by jonmanjiro, on Flickr

PIE 2009 02 by jonmanjiro, on Flickr

Last edited:
I am new to using an Amedeo adapter, so this thread is very useful. Thanks. The J-9 85/2 seems to work fine.

I want to add that my Nokton-S 50mm f1.5 works fine with the S to M Amedeo Adapter. It mounts and focuses perfectly.

Leica M8 + Nokton-S 50mm f1.5 with S to M Amedeo Adapter

Last edited:
Back