Compatibility of Nikon S / Contax RF lenses on Leica M with Amedeo Adapter

I recently bought a kipon Contax to LTM adapter, the main idea was to mount the 50 millenium nikkor on M/ or LTM mount

it was decent priced, very well built, with black front, I was positively surprised with the build quality.

the millenium lens mounts perfectly, but the heliocoid doesn't move ( at all), so i'm a littlebit bummed, as the the adapter is pointless for me at this time, anybody else tried those kipons?

do I understand right, that it might only support external lens designs?

does the helicoid of the amadeos move? or is the some kind of trick i didn't think of?

thanks for any advice
regards
maitani

That's weird. The helicoid should rotate otherwise what's the point? Except for the scale focus type adapter designed specifically for external mount lenses with large rear elements (38/1.8 etc.) Amedeo adapters have helicoids that rotate just like the helicoid on a Nikon-S body.

I recently bought a kipon Contax to LTM adapter, the main idea was to mount the 50 millenium nikkor on M/ or LTM mount

it was decent priced, very well built, with black front, I was positively surprised with the build quality.

the millenium lens mounts perfectly, but the heliocoid doesn't move ( at all), so i'm a littlebit bummed, as the the adapter is pointless for me at this time, anybody else tried those kipons?

do I understand right, that it might only support external lens designs?

does the helicoid of the amadeos move? or is the some kind of trick i didn't think of?

thanks for any advice
regards
maitani

With a non-moving helicoid why have a helicoid at all?
Can you show a picture of the adapter?

exactly what i was thinking, non movin helicoid = useless... an explanation would be for external lenses only, but even then, it should be states somewhere, shouldn't it?

thanks for the feedback guys, yes it's exactly this adapter digitalintrigues post, from this seller, i have the black one, but helicoid does not move.. i've been thinking to mill it for myself, as i have access to cnc machines nearby, it seems blocked inside, i will try to upload a picture later, from the innards. so you can see

i feel ashamed, the dang thing was only locked in close focus position (but very very tight sitting though..) i dared to put some force, now it's moving perfectly... i'm glad i didn't start the CNC machine yet...

thanks for all your help guys, this forum just rocks... I need to loosen it out with my millenium now.

yes the kipon was a great deal and it came with 3 types of ltm to m adapters, so really great price, i know kindai for maybe the best adapters, i had one for my OM/Canon combo in the past, i guess the kipon is made in china copy, but i'm not sure about it. but i can assure you it's of great build quality.

thanks again guys, really happy

hope your Kipon adapter focuses right. I had their LTM/M adapters once, which let focus rotate "beyond infinity", and decided never again these Chinese adapters.

hope your Kipon adapter focuses right. I had their LTM/M adapters once, which let focus rotate "beyond infinity", and decided never again these Chinese adapters.

I will test it and give some feedback in this topic, if there's an issue, i'll be getting one from amadeo for sure.

i just spent a pretty penny on a amedeo adapter,
to try it on my helios-103 and the jupiter-8m with aperture clicks.

can't wait to try this on my r-d1.

:)

I just got an Amedeo adapter for Nikon - Leica M and I haven't found an answer about using a Jupiter-12 (Contax mount) on the adapter to Leica M body. The J-12 is incredibly inexpensive and many of the samples in Contax mount are essentially brand new.
Are there any physical restrictions that prevent the lens from being used and focused accurately? If so, I could also use a file or dremel to relieve any binding or clearance issues. Filing down part of a $30 lens is no big deal to me to get it working in the adapter.
So, anyone use the J-12 in the standard adapter? Is it possible?
Thanks all.

Phil Forrest

I just got an Amedeo adapter for Nikon - Leica M and I haven't found an answer about using a Jupiter-12 (Contax mount) on the adapter to Leica M body. The J-12 is incredibly inexpensive and many of the samples in Contax mount are essentially brand new.
Are there any physical restrictions that prevent the lens from being used and focused accurately? If so, I could also use a file or dremel to relieve any binding or clearance issues. Filing down part of a $30 lens is no big deal to me to get it working in the adapter.
So, anyone use the J-12 in the standard adapter? Is it possible?
Thanks all.

Phil Forrest

Phil, I don't have any experience with the J-12 but the rear element looks to be on the large side so would probably foul on the cam follower wheel on the camera side, preventing focusing.

The same thing happens with the W-Nikkor 3.5cm f/1.8. The lens will fit in the adapter, but the adapter/lens combo can't be mounted on the camera.

But, considering a J-12 is only $30 I'd give it a try anyway. It might work.

IMG_1712a.jpg

Yup, that's what I'm doing. Scored a J-12 in excellent condition for $40 including shipping (from a US seller, to boot!)
I'm thinking if there is any binding from that deep metal collar against the RF cam follower in the M body, I'll just take off some of the metal with a file or Dremel tool to leave room for the cam follower. I'm confident I'll wind up with a usable lens.
I'll definitely post my results here after I butcher the back of the lens! :D

Phil Forrest

I'm thinking if there is any binding from that deep metal collar against the RF cam follower in the M body <snip>

FYI the deep metal collar on the rear of the lens slots into the adapter so doesn't go anywhere near the RF cam follower.

My J-12 arrived today and throwing caution to the wind I immediately stuck it on the adapter and onto my M9.
Nothing happened to the shutter. Whew.
So, the spring-loaded brass collar that turns the Amedeo helical (or Contax/Nikon camera) does in fact interfere with focusing closer than about 10 meters. Simple fix, I took off the collar, filed down the edge enough to clear the edge of the focusing cam surface and not foul the cam follower in the camera. After that, I found that focus was ever so slightly off. I then filed down the aluminum shim which gives the lens its proper registration and found the sweet spot, after a good amount of trial and error (I only had one of these shims and I don't like making them.) Focus is spot on now up close and infinity is good to go as well.

As far as this lens is concerned, I don't know why I never owned one before. I think it's amazing. It's probably more 35mm lens than I need and it can make better photos than I can take, I think.

I walked through Manhattan today snapping away and trying to get used to the lens. The long focus throw I'm not a big fan of but the lack of distortion and great resolution for only $40 easily make up for that.

I have it coded as a V1 28mm Elmarit and the vignetting is gone. None to speak of. I usually shoot a lot of black and white anyway so that isn't as much of a bother.

Here's a shot looking at Jay Maisel's studio/bank vault on Bowery St.

L1008453_E.jpg

All in all, I'm extremely happy with the J-12.

Phil Forrest

Does anyone know if the Contax 2.1cm f4.5 Biogon fits the Amadeo adapter?

Does anyone know if the Contax 2.1cm f4.5 Biogon fits the Amadeo adapter?

Does anyone know if the Contax 2.1cm f4.5 Biogon fits the Amadeo adapter, on a Leica M3?

regards
Vick

hi,

a quick question for fellow amedeo fans:

how do you use it for non-50/75mm lenses?
since the M-adapter by amedeo is meant for 50mm

do you use a separate viewfinder for framing ?

raytoei

I just got my Amadeo adaptor Contax to Leica M. First, it's beautiful. Second, it works for my Sonnar 50/1.5 and it works for my W-Nikkor 35mm/2.5 (I use a CV 35mm finder in the shoe.) I will be using it mostly to make the Sonnar my main 50, continuing to shoot 35mm with my goggled Summaron 2.8. Those two lenses have nearly indistinguishable signatures, to my eye. The Nikkor does make a very nice "walking around" lens on my M3. My tests have been informal and hand-held, I'll be doing more later. I expect the Nikkor to have a small focusing error, but so far, it looks good! I'm really pleased with Amadeo's product and service.

Back