Compatibility of Nikon S / Contax RF lenses on Leica M with Amedeo Adapter

I believe that's true, especially because I nearly always shoot wides at small apertures. It was a VERY pleasant surprise that I could opt for the Nikkor if I wanted to. I like it very much on cloudy days...

I have just got one of the contax to M mount adaptors for a Zeiss ZI and need some advice.

Early on in this thread it says the pre-war contax 13.5cm Sonner 1:4 fits. Mine fits over the adaptor when it is on the camera but does not seem to want to 'twist and lock' on (at least with the amount of force I want to try without confirming I am not doing anything wrong). Can anyone confirm this should work?

My 5cm 1:1.5 Sonner and 8.5cm 1:4 triotar go on fine and appear to focus properly. If it ever stops raining in England I will go out and shoot some film to confirm!

That's too bad. Maybe the head bartender has been fooling us all along with this photo below (found here)...

adapt11.jpg

Amedeo was not making adapters when that pic was taken. I used an original Orion adapter.

Stephen

Amedeo was not making adapters when that pic was taken. I used an original Orion adapter.

Stephen

That's interesting to read, Stephen. I've also tried with an original Orion adapter. This one in the classifieds right now, actually. When Akira (aka Zen-shooter) visited Tokyo a few years back, we went to Sanpo Camera where we tried attaching both an external mount and internal mount Nikkor-N 5cm f1.1 to his adapter. We were unsuccessful in both cases. Slight variations between Orion adapters maybe?

I was able to mount my S-mount W-Nikkor 3.5cm F1.8 lens on Akira's Orion adapter (not possible with my Amedeo adapter) although the adapter/lens combo cannot be attached to a camera.

That's interesting to read, Stephen. I've also tried with an original Orion adapter. This one in the classifieds right now, actually. When Akira (aka Zen-shooter) visited Tokyo a few years back, we went to Sanpo Camera where we tried attaching both an external mount and internal mount Nikkor-N 5cm f1.1 to his adapter. We were unsuccessful in both cases. Slight variations between Orion adapters maybe?

I was able to mount my S-mount W-Nikkor 3.5cm F1.8 lens on Akira's Orion adapter (not possible with my Amedeo adapter) although the adapter/lens combo cannot be attached to a camera.

The Orions were hand made. Many variations have been documented. Whether those variations affect mounting which lenses, I am not sure.

Likewise there are probably variations in the 50/1.1 Nikkors, as well as WHICH M bodies the adapted lenses will mount on.

Stephen

I love, love, love my coupled Amedeo and Contax 50/1.5 Sonnar! I would like to add a 35 Biogon to the mix, but I find myself a bit confused. For reference, the following is from POST #2 for convenience...

35/4.5 Carl Zeiss Jena Orthometar (YES - will mount and focus properly)
35/2.8 Carl Zeiss Jena Biometar (YES - will mount and focus properly)
pre-WWII Carl Zeiss Jena 35/2.8 Biogon (NO - rear element too large, interferes with rangefinder mechanism)
post-WWII Jena ("E. German") coated version (NO - rear element too large, interferes with rangefinder mechanism)
35/2.8 Zeiss-Opton (NO - rear element too large, interferes with rangefinder mechanism)
35/2.8 Carl Zeiss ("W. German") Biogon (NO - rear element too large, interferes with rangefinder mechanism)
35/3.5 Zeiss-Opton (NO - rear element too large, interferes with rangefinder mechanism)
35/3.5 Carl Zeiss Planar (NO - rear element too large, interferes with rangefinder mechanism)

Now, the Amedeo site shows the regular adapter as coupled for 50 and above and that wider lenses will not focus. Also available is one that is uncoupled for 35, etc. that will allow fitting large rear element lenses to non-metered M bodies. So, from the above list, some show that they will mount AND focus, and others that will not mount. Is the list, the Amedeo site, or something else in/out of synch? Thanks!!!

So, from the above list, some show that they will mount AND focus, and others that will not mount. Is the list, the Amedeo site, or something else in/out of synch? Thanks!!!
Amedeo is basically CYA (covering his ass). It's easier and safer for him to make a blanket statement that only 50mm lenses and longer will work on his adapters than to try and test all the options and make a comprehensive list for 35mm lenses and wider. That way he avoids being held responsible for someone damaging their wide angle lens on one of his adapters due to his list stating it would work but in practice it didn't. Smart thinking on his part, really.

Thank you so much!

I am not too bright.

Only two of the listed 35's even fit -and they both focus. What about the uncoupled adapter designed especially for wider lenses? Nothing fits? Or are non-metered M's (or the uncoupled wide adapter) not considered?

Or more simply: If I had an M4, a coupled Amedeo, and I wanted a 35 -it would appear I have only two choices, coupled or not.

Thank you so much! Only two of the listed 35's even fit -and they both focus. What about the uncoupled adapter designed especially for wider lenses? Nothing fits? Or are non-metered M's not considered?

The list in this thread is based on RFF user input so there may be sample variations and minor changes during the course of production of a lens that are not taken into account here. To give you an idea of sample variations, I've tried three W-Nikkor 2.8cm f3.5 lenses (all about the same vintage) on my Amedeo adapter, and two of them caught on the adapter at 6 feet while the third one didn't and focused fine from infinity to three feet. They all looked identical, but there must have been a minor size difference in the lens barrel parts to cause this discrepancy.

No personal experience here with the wide angle adapter, but I do know it is uncoupled (so scale focus only) and shifts the lenses off center (downward) a mm or two so the rear of the lens clears the focus cam on the camera. It should work ok with both metered and non-metered cameras.

I love, love, love my coupled Amedeo and Contax 50/1.5 Sonnar! I would like to add a 35 Biogon to the mix, but I find myself a bit confused. For reference, the following is from POST #2 for convenience...

35/4.5 Carl Zeiss Jena Orthometar (YES - will mount and focus properly)
35/2.8 Carl Zeiss Jena Biometar (YES - will mount and focus properly)
pre-WWII Carl Zeiss Jena 35/2.8 Biogon (NO - rear element too large, interferes with rangefinder mechanism)
post-WWII Jena ("E. German") coated version (NO - rear element too large, interferes with rangefinder mechanism)
35/2.8 Zeiss-Opton (NO - rear element too large, interferes with rangefinder mechanism)
35/2.8 Carl Zeiss ("W. German") Biogon (NO - rear element too large, interferes with rangefinder mechanism)
35/3.5 Zeiss-Opton (NO - rear element too large, interferes with rangefinder mechanism)
35/3.5 Carl Zeiss Planar (NO - rear element too large, interferes with rangefinder mechanism)

Now, the Amedeo site shows the regular adapter as coupled for 50 and above and that wider lenses will not focus. Also available is one that is uncoupled for 35, etc. that will allow fitting large rear element lenses to non-metered M bodies. So, from the above list, some show that they will mount AND focus, and others that will not mount. Is the list, the Amedeo site, or something else in/out of synch? Thanks!!!

the way to shoot the larger rear element lenses on another camera,
including the Biogons, 35/1.8 Nikkor, 50/1.1 Nikkor,

Is to use the Rayqual SC to NEX adapter
on a Sony A7 or A7s.

Stephen

the way to shoot the larger rear element lenses on another camera,
including the Biogons, 35/1.8 Nikkor, 50/1.1 Nikkor,

Is to use the Rayqual SC to NEX adapter
on a Sony A7 or A7s.

Stephen

Thanks, and sorry, I have been out of town.

My first goal is to find a match to my Contax mount 50/1.5 that I can use on an M4 body with my existing Amedeo coupled adapter. I was hoping to use the 35/2.8 Biogon, but it would seem I will have to go with the Biometar.

Shooting on digital with adapted lenses would be secondary.

21mm Biogon @ Minolta CLE?

21mm Biogon @ Minolta CLE?

Did anyone try to attach a 21 mm Biogon via Amedeo's wide-angle adapter to a Minolta CLE?

According to his web site it it will only work with unmetered cameras. But I recently found an article in a Chinese blog where the author successfully matched lens and camera. Unfortunately I do not understand Chinese and the Google translation is quite poor. But maybe anybody of you has tried this combination (or can help me with the translation of her statements concerning the CLE)?

Of course I contacted Amedeo and Chnchen (the author of the blog post) before raising this question here. Amedeo thinks it would not work because of the light meter. But maybe it cow work due to the fact that it is positioned a the bottom of the camera. No answer from Chchen so far.

Greg

Did anyone try to attach a 21 mm Biogon via Amedeo's wide-angle adapter to a Minolta CLE?

According to his web site it it will only work with unmetered cameras. But I recently found an article in a Chinese blog where the author successfully matched lens and camera. Unfortunately I do not understand Chinese and the Google translation is quite poor. But maybe anybody of you has tried this combination (or can help me with the translation of her statements concerning the CLE)?

Of course I contacted Amedeo and Chnchen (the author of the blog post) before raising this question here. Amedeo thinks it would not work because of the light meter. But maybe it cow work due to the fact that it is positioned a the bottom of the camera. No answer from Chchen so far.

Greg

That article doesn't actually mention about how he attach a 21 mm Biogon to a Minolta CLE , I'm also leaved question before but even don't receive any answer.

I have tried to use Amedeo's adapter to attach a 21mm Biogon on Minolta CLE, it's works but rangefinder can't coupled and you need to remove the protector on the rear.

I will try to take some photos and will show the outcome lately.

here's 21mm Biogon on Minolta CLE.
P_20150304_231035_LL.jpg

Hello everyone,

Does it make sense to buy nikon S to LTM instead of S to M? So we can use LTM-M adapter to change frameline in M if necessary? Is there any drawback from doing such (e.g. more prone to focus error)? I understand that S-M adapter will enable 50 frameline.

Thanks!

Yes, if you have LTM bodies & Nikon RF lenses in various focal lengths it certainly makes sense to buy an S-LTM adapter. However, I think there is a greater chance for the focus to be off because of the higher tolerances that are required to make a thinner adapter.

Hello everyone,

Does it make sense to buy nikon S to LTM instead of S to M? So we can use LTM-M adapter to change frameline in M if necessary? Is there any drawback from doing such (e.g. more prone to focus error)? I understand that S-M adapter will enable 50 frameline.

Thanks!

Using Amedeo adapter nikon S2 lens to LTM Leica

Using Amedeo adapter nikon S2 lens to LTM Leica

I bought the Amedeo adapter because I wanted to mount my Nikon S2 lens, 50/1.4, 85mm, 105, and 135 on my 2 LTM Leica iiic, Zorki 1, and Zorki 4. The only lens that mounts and works properly is the Nikon 50/1.4. the 85, 105 and 135 are extremely difficult to mount and when they mounted. the lens will not lock pproperly to the adapter. I found that out when I mounted the 135 and it promptly fell off. When I do succeed in locking it, focusing becomes problematic. To turn the focus ring on the lens, I have to hold the bottom of the lens and use brute force to turn the focus wheel, lenses, that focus easily on my nikon S2. If I don't hold the base of the lens, then the adapter starts to unscrew from the camera. The adapter is made up of two rings, the back ring that screws into the camera and that back ring holds the rotating focus scale that normally matches the focus scale on the lens. Problem is that there is binding between the two rings, back and front rings, that it is nearly impossible to turn the focus ring on the lens barrel, unless you apply force. The ring on the adapter that should turn loosely, does not turn unless force is applied. It is too tight and will not rotate freely.

If anybody asks, I would not recommend that adapter. I will be asking for a refund.

Email him, it seems you have a dud, I am absolutely sure Amedeo will send you a replacement or refund (he posts on this forum).

I have 3 Amedeo adapters and they are all fantastic and work perfectly, including with the lenses that you mention.

Mistakes happen. That said, with the adapter off the camera, is it still a problem to move the focus ring? Is it possible it is binding with something on the camera? I have a Leica III and my adapters work on it fine.

Back