Votes: 69 12.2%
  • Regularly, no intention of quitting

Votes: 54 9.6%
  • Regularly, tried to quit or relapsed

Votes: 27 4.8%
  • Regularly, sure would like to quit

Votes: 45 8.0%

• Total voters
Good luck! I was very glad when I quit. Tho like Bill, it was not easy. The two minute rule is great, and very right on.

I still smoke a cigar every other week or so, but I am MUCH healthier (and even with really nice cigars, it's much cheaper than the cigs were).

I'm not in any way condoning the habit - I gave up cigarettes many years ago, but are Tom A and me the only ones here, who enjoy a pipe occasionaly?
Dave.

I'm not in any way condoning the habit - I gave up cigarettes many years ago, but are Tom A and me the only ones here, who enjoy a pipe occasionaly?
Dave.

I would like to, but I cannot. I found that I inhaled both pipe and cigar, and if I were to begin again, I'm sure I would, which would lead to ... well, enough to say I just can't go down that road again.

I experimented a bit with smokeless tobacco and cigarettes in my teen years, but never really took to them. As others have stated here, cigarette smoke often give me headaches; I think about all the migraines that I had as a child and wonder if they would have been as frequent if my dad hadn't smoked as much.

I do enjoy the occasional cigar when I walk the dog, though. Cigar smoke and pipe tobacco don't seem to bother me like cigarettes do - their smoke seems more "harsh".

I experimented a bit with smokeless tobacco and cigarettes in my teen years, but never really took to them. As others have stated here, cigarette smoke often give me headaches; I think about all the migraines that I had as a child and wonder if they would have been as frequent if my dad hadn't smoked as much.

I do enjoy the occasional cigar when I walk the dog, though. Cigar smoke and pipe tobacco don't seem to bother me like cigarettes do - their smoke seems more "harsh".

To an addict, those who dabble with cigarettes and cigars while they linger in bars are mere dilettantes. A smoker who is addicted is smoking for the enjoyment and to satisfy the craving addiction causes. A non-smoker having a cigarette or cigar in a bar is trying to get horizontal with a fellow idiot.

And nothing is more ridiculous than the sight of a 20-something with a pipe in his mouth. Like a teenager in a Mister Rogers sweater, it just ain't right. If you're under 50 and smoke a pipe, you're just trying to tell the world that you have a big phallum bway-bway.

To an addict, those who dabble with cigarettes and cigars while they linger in bars are mere dilettantes. A smoker who is addicted is smoking for the enjoyment and to satisfy the craving addiction causes. A non-smoker having a cigarette or cigar in a bar is trying to get horizontal with a fellow idiot.

And nothing is more ridiculous than the sight of a 20-something with a pipe in his mouth. Like a teenager in a Mister Rogers sweater, it just ain't right. If you're under 50 and smoke a pipe, you're just trying to tell the world that you have a big phallum bway-bway.

Okay... I'm not really sure why you quoted my post while referring to smoking in bars, but I do agree with you about youngsters smoking pipes (which I do not smoke, but enjoy the smell when someone else is).

Okay... I'm not really sure why you quoted my post while referring to smoking in bars, but I do agree with you about youngsters smoking pipes (which I do not smoke, but enjoy the smell when someone else is).

Sorry, got off on a tangent. I do that, bad habit. My apologies.

EDIT: And pipe smoke smells great, even to me as a former smoker. Wish I could imbibe, but I can't.

I hate breathing in second hand smoke, which is my main gripe. I don't give a crap if they are killing themselves, but I don't want to have it anywhere near me. You can't avoid it on the streets sometimes, and there are those who continue to smoke in restricted areas. Sometimes I wish I had some asbestos to throw in their face, in return for blowing carcinogens into mine.

No apologies necessary, bmattock. I was just joining in the discussion...

On second thought, I do know one 20-something who CAN pull off smoking my pipe. My cousin plays banjo in an alternative bluegrass band, and has this long, scruffy ZZ-Top beard. With his mountain-man look, a pipe just looks "period correct". :)

I hate breathing in second hand smoke, which is my main gripe. I don't give a crap if they are killing themselves, but I don't want to have it anywhere near me. You can't avoid it on the streets sometimes, and there are those who continue to smoke in restricted areas. Sometimes I wish I had some asbestos to throw in their face, in return for blowing carcinogens into mine.

I have to agree with you. Smokers have a right to smoke, but they not have a right to impose on others who do not. It is a matter of common courtesy. When I smoked, I disliked huddling under a shelter 100 yards from the front entrance to the building I worked at when it was 10 degrees F out, but that's the price you pay. People who do not smoke should not have to wend their way through the gauntlet of smokers in front of most office buildings.

Times have changed, though. I recall the only places my dad didn't smoke was church and the grocery store. He even smoked in department stores that were carpeted. I even remember they had ashtrays on the columns inside the store. Even movie theaters had ashtrays in the seat arms, as did most airplanes. All for the best - people who do not smoke should not have to put up with it.

On the other hand, people who do have courtesy and respect and who choose to smoke should be left in peace. I used to get the 'fake cough' thing from people who would go out of their way to wander over to where I was standing and be offended. "Oh, you're giving me cancer!" Sure, right.

On second thought, I do know one 20-something who CAN pull off smoking my pipe. My cousin plays banjo in an alternative bluegrass band, and has this long, scruffy ZZ-Top beard. With his mountain-man look, a pipe just looks "period correct". :)

Fair enough - I stand corrected.

I know a handful of young pups in their 20's who smoke pipes; most also do living history of some sort, and got into it while being "period correct".

We need more youngsters, if we want to have something to smoke in the coming years. A lot of blends and blenders are falling by the wayside.

With the intention of stirring debate on this topic, but at the risk of straying OT... What's different between marijuana and alcohol? Just because one is (still) illegal? Alcohol was the same way for a while and because of similar reasons. I hear of drunk drivers killing people almost daily - have yet to hear about a stoner killing someone on the way to 7-11 to pick up munchy food.

I buy my booze at a store, which is regulated, licensed, and taxed. No one is shot and killed bringing it into the country, no public officials are bribed, no tax dollars are wasted trying to interdict it or to prosecute those who bring it in. None of the money I pay for a six-pack goes to fund terrorists who use illegal drugs to finance their bombs and recruiting.

If you buy pot (in the US, in places where it is illegal), you do pay for those things.

DUI drivers should be prosecuted, they are criminals, and they damage our society and kill and injure innocent people. Your average stoner probably represents much less damage to our society, I agree - in direct terms. But in indirect terms, they do much more violence to the fabric of our society.

I'm of the opinion that pot should be regulated, liscensed and taxed (heavily). Lots of new revenue for the government. Lots of money not spent on investigating, prosecuting and incarcerating people in various parts of the marijuana trade.

But until that happens, I'll have to agree with Bill.

But what about home growers? They are not supporting any criminal activity.
I strongly believe that marijuana is illegal because it helps you think. And the last thing goverments need are passive people thinking instead of producing and consuming.

I buy my booze at a store, which is regulated, licensed, and taxed. No one is shot and killed bringing it into the country, no public officials are bribed, no tax dollars are wasted trying to interdict it or to prosecute those who bring it in. None of the money I pay for a six-pack goes to fund terrorists who use illegal drugs to finance their bombs and recruiting.

If you buy pot (in the US, in places where it is illegal), you do pay for those things.

DUI drivers should be prosecuted, they are criminals, and they damage our society and kill and injure innocent people. Your average stoner probably represents much less damage to our society, I agree - in direct terms. But in indirect terms, they do much more violence to the fabric of our society.

Sounds like I'm watching an episode of CNN. About 95 percent of weed is grown in the same country its sold in. It's the most patriotic thing you could buy in America. I bet more of my tax money has been used illegally than any of my weed money.

Sounds like I'm watching an episode of CNN. About 95 percent of weed is grown in the same country its sold in. It's the most patriotic thing you could buy in America. I bet more of my tax money has been used illegally than any of my weed money.

Marijuana grown in the USA is grown in national forests and on public and private land that does not belong to the growers. They protect their interests with sophisticated alarm systems and kill trespassers. They are distributed by street gangs and outlaw motorcycle gangs that kill each others as well as innocent people who get in their way.

If you buy illegal drugs, your hands are not clean. You can think that they are if it helps you sleep better at night, but you're guilty in my opinion. I will do everything I can to make sure illegal drug buyers are arrested and prosecuted. I turn in drug dealers.

EDIT: And according to the DEA, only 25-30% of marijuana sold domestically in the US was grown here. Of course, with all illegal goods, estimates are prone to error.

Back